cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Vs LTE settings

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can see my plan vs. my settings.  Should I be changing my settings?

Screenshot_20200224-170840.png

Screenshot_20200224-165310_1.png

13 REPLIES 13

1. LTE vs 3G Speed test results in Regina, SK:

• lte3.pnghspa11.png

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

3G performance can be more variable though.  I can't get data to work on 3G at work.  

LTE coverage and service quality can vary too. LTE has the the added advantage of having 700MHz for better and longer coverage. It is also is more capcity-efficient, meaning that it is less prone to cell breathing, something that causes the the cell site's coverage area to shrink at times of high usage. I hope that your voice service doesn't get impacted at work.

I find 850 MHz HSPA still seems to reach further than 700 MHz LTE in NL, or for some reason in areas of low-mediocre signal the phone tends to drop down to HSPA and stay there. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

All the 3G tower capacity is tied up in phone calls which is why data suffers.  I have a full speed LTE plan and so fortunately I don't need to force 3G to get better speeds.  

@will13am wrote:

3G performance can be more variable though.  I can't get data to work on 3G at work.  

LTE coverage and service quality can vary too. LTE has the the added advantage of having 700MHz for better and longer coverage. It is also is more capcity-efficient, meaning that it is less prone to cell breathing, something that causes the the cell site's coverage area to shrink at times of high usage. I hope that your voice service doesn't get impacted at work.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

3G speed is a marketing term.  Actual 3G is capable of much greater than 3 Mbits/s which is the throttled speed for the LTE connection.  You can confirm this for yourself by switching to 3G and doing a speed test.  3G connections are not throttled.  You would be limited by local congestion only.  @computergeek541 , here is your chance to step in a prove the point.

@will13am 

Speed testing is fun, and so is wasting data. I've exceeded 35Mbps on the 3g network before.

@will13am wrote:

3G speed is a marketing term.  Actual 3G is capable of much greater than 3 Mbits/s which is the throttled speed for the LTE connection.  You can confirm this for yourself by switching to 3G and doing a speed test.  3G connections are not throttled.  You would be limited by local congestion only.  @computergeek541 , here is your chance to step in a prove the point.

@will13am 

Speed testing is fun, and so is wasting data. I've exceeded 35Mbps on the 3g network before.

DOA

I tried setting my 'droid to both 3G and LTE.

The results were I got higher speeds on 3G, but on LTE, I was able to get a signal (and internet) in places like elevators and underground parkades.  Not so with 3G.

Anyone else get these results?

@Triguy wrote:

PM uses Telus and Bell towers which are LTE but the speed is throttled to 3G speeds.  You do not need to change it.

YVR

The way your screenshot is perfect using the recommended LTE.  The system will switch in the background automatically. Data is actually using LTE bands throttled down to lower speeds. 

@Triguy actually the towers have both technologies deployed for the most part.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rossputin 

Configure your phone auto 3G/LTE because PM use 3G for voice calls.  Your phone will switch to 3G during calling and switch to LTE for data.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM uses Telus and Bell towers which are LTE but the speed is throttled to 3G speeds.  You do not need to change it.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

No need to change anything. Your plan works on 3G and LTE. If you are on LTE, your speed will be throttled to 3 Mbps.

Leaving the setting on LTE will generally provide the best user experience.

Keep in mind voice calls will continue to use 3G until PM deploys VoLTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.