cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes not added in payment history?

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does Public Mobile not show taxes in their payment history or did I get overcharged? My Province (NL) has 15% taxes so $35 + taxes would be $40.25 but thats not reported in my payment history.

My January bill was free due to rewards. Wondering if my next bill for February will be charged taxes during autopay?

Also... Public Mobile are classified as a parking garage by my credit card company (CIBC VISA) lol

imageedit__6191939286.pngScreenshot 2019-01-13 at 6.52.13 PM.png

37 REPLIES 37

@boopsy wrote:

How do I request an invoice from a moderator? Like what are the steps to ask a private message with them?

You would send a private message by using the following page: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

A mdoerator will then reply back with information on how to verify for them that you are authorized to access the account.

boopsy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I request an invoice from a moderator? Like what are the steps to ask a private message with them?

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@boopsy wrote:

I need the taxes to show somewhere as work reimburses for my phone. Where Can I get this information as I am registered for autopay?

@boopsy 

Message a moderator request an invoice..takes a while ive heard..1 month +

boopsy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need the taxes to show somewhere as work reimburses for my phone. Where Can I get this information as I am registered for autopay?

smdd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thanks for asking the Q. it's something i wondered about when i saw my credit card bill. i DID think i was not paying tax and bragged to my adult daughter about how public mobile is so much better than the other companies... 

whoops! the bottom line looks better than it truly is - i'm guessing that's a good enough reason to follow/use the chip guy's anology.

1. @Tav wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@Someone_here @computergeek541 I don't think recharge.com is based in Canada. They play around with currency rates to determine the price. I know another site that actually converts PM vouchers from EUR to CDN which turns out to be more than 13% tax people in Ontario pay. I contacted them to tell them that no one will buy at this rate because it's cheaper to buy locally, but I never heard back from them. Due to the reason I didn't list that site along with recharge. 

I added $79 to my account and I calculated that my savings were $1.99 compared to if I paid Public Mobile directly $79+13% (Ontario HST).  That's a small difference of only roughly 2% off, but why not?

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 8.36.45 AM.png

Some quick math for fun:

44.19/39.88 = 10.8% (recharge fees?/taxes?)

15% (NL taxes) -10.8% (recharge fee) = 4.2% savings

$33 (Public Mobile cost) x 4.2% = $1.38 savings a month or $16.56 a year in my case

It's actually ever-so-slightly better than that.  I have no idea why they do.this, but when they advertise a $39.88 top up, you end up getting a full $40.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:
Or, if for some reason I'm unable to comprehend, you're a Tim's fan, it's likely enough for a medium double-double including the taxes LOL.  

Funny how double-double became linked to Tim's. Anyone can ask for their beverage that way anywhere.

@Anonymous sure--anyone that doesn't actually like coffee, I guess.  Why bury it in that much sugar and cream?  You might as well order a mocha at that point!  <puts on flame-retardant suit>Tim's coffee is so bad, I guess this is why it's become synonymous with double-double: you have to hide the taste to be able to drink it!</removes flame retardand suit>

Well...I drink coffee to extract the caffeine for the hit. Certainly not for the taste. But nor do I drown it in sugar...just cream to take a bit of the bite out.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:
Or, if for some reason I'm unable to comprehend, you're a Tim's fan, it's likely enough for a medium double-double including the taxes LOL.  

Funny how double-double became linked to Tim's. Anyone can ask for their beverage that way anywhere.

@Anonymous sure--anyone that doesn't actually like coffee, I guess.  Why bury it in that much sugar and cream?  You might as well order a mocha at that point!  <puts on flame-retardant suit>Tim's coffee is so bad, I guess this is why it's become synonymous with double-double: you have to hide the taste to be able to drink it!</removes flame retardand suit>

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

I added $79 to my account and I calculated that my savings were $1.99 compared to if I paid Public Mobile directly $79+13% (Ontario HST).  That's a small difference of only roughly 2% off, but why not?

@computergeek541 hey, that's enough to buy yourself a tall Pike Place or dark roast of the day at Starbucks (well, before taxes anyway).  Or, if for some reason I'm unable to comprehend, you're a Tim's fan, it's likely enough for a medium double-double including the taxes LOL.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Tav

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@Someone_here @computergeek541 I don't think recharge.com is based in Canada. They play around with currency rates to determine the price. I know another site that actually converts PM vouchers from EUR to CDN which turns out to be more than 13% tax people in Ontario pay. I contacted them to tell them that no one will buy at this rate because it's cheaper to buy locally, but I never heard back from them. Due to the reason I didn't list that site along with recharge. 

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 8.36.45 AM.png

Some quick math for fun:

44.19/39.88 = 10.8% (recharge fees?/taxes?)

15% (NL taxes) -10.8% (recharge fee) = 4.2% savings

$33 (Public Mobile cost) x 4.2% = $1.38 savings a month or $16.56 a year in my case

@NDesai wrote:

srlawren

@wetcoaster wrote:
Ok, lets try to explain that from a different angle...

The available funds are chips that you buy at face value+tax and put into the piggy bank.

@wetcoaster DUDE.... this explanation is brilliant.  I love it.  If I could bravo this post 37,142,755 times, I would.  But then, I'd be pretty tired.  But it's pure gold.  Nicely done.  In fact I think I'll bookmark this post (hint for anyone wanting to do that... click/tap the "..." menu near the top of the posting and click Permalink, then bookmark it (or copy the address from you address bar, or whatever)) for future reference.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Who knows if what they're charging actualy is the 5% GST/HST.   I've ordered from them and don't ever recall a Canadian taxation number/business number anywhere on the site or on-screen when paying.  I do not know if they are submitting it.

Good question... However, I would assume that, even if they don't charge/pay back GST to the Canadian government, they still have to pay for it when they buy the vouchers to a Canadian company... So the voucher portion of the amount you pay would already be taxed, and only their profit/fee margin wouldn't be taxed...?

@Someone_here wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

You can buy vouchers at recharge.com. Because they are not located in Canada they don't charge taxes.

Not exactly true... they don't charge provincial taxes, but they still charge 5% federal taxe:

Capture d’écran 2019-01-13 à 22.39.01.png

Who knows if what they're charging actualy is the 5% GST/HST.   I've ordered from them and don't ever recall a Canadian taxation number/business number anywhere on the site or on-screen when paying.  I do not know if they are submitting it.

On a side note, when it 24.92 or 59.84 or a number like that for the top up amount, my experiences have been that they are actually full dollar amounts that they give you ($25.00 and $60 in those examples).

Tav

@Someone_here wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

You can buy vouchers at recharge.com. Because they are not located in Canada they don't charge taxes.

Not exactly true... they don't charge provincial taxes, but they still charge 5% federal taxe:

Is there a way to pick an exact amount besides the crazy amounts they list?

@wetcoaster wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:
@Tav wrote:

@wetcoaster I think the vouchers would actually save me money in the long run as their rates are currently cheaper than my tax rate if I am understanding how they work.

Yes, even out here on the west coast with 7% PST and 5% GST the recharge.com vouchers are still slightly less expensive. Not such a good deal for Albertans though.

SLIGTHLY is the word here! For such a small difference, I would rather pay taxes so it goes towards some king of public good vs a private company...

Voucher -> Recharge.com -> BC taxed

4.99 -> 5.59 -> 5.59

9.97 -> 11.19 -> 11.17

18.95 -> 21.09 -> 21.22

19.95 -> 22.19 -> 22.34

24.92 -> 27.59 -> 27.91

29.91 -> 33.19 -> 33.50

@RossN wrote:

are these chips plain or barbecue lol

@RossN

potato chips.jpg

Unfortunately they don't last long in my house and don't hold up well in my piggy bank....

I have since resorted to these, much better shelf life:

chips.jpg

For whatever reason they taste like plastic, though???

If you wish a receipt, buy vouchers locally, as that is the only way to get an automatically generated receipt.  You can ask for something from Public Mobile moderators, but expect a long delay to get that.

@Tav wrote:

@wetcoaster I think the vouchers would actually save me money in the long run as their rates are currently cheaper than my tax rate if I am understanding how they work.

Yes, even out here on the west coast with 7% PST and 5% GST the recharge.com vouchers are still slightly less expensive. Not such a good deal for Albertans though.

@Tav wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

That's true the taxes are not shown on your payment review....but we have to pay them!!!!

No taxes were applied for January as my rewards covered the estimated payment (no taxes showing there either). Wondering if I top up my estimated payment to the amount it says before the autopay system kicks in will it not charge me taxes? This is kind of what happened last month with all the rewards covering the estimated payment.

Just tried to top up the $16 estimated for my upcoming bill and it indeed adds the tax there of $2.40 to charge me $18.40 (thought I found a way to cheat the system of taxes and save a few more bucks a month lol).

It makes sense and its not a big deal to me but that discrepancy should be showing in the payment history shouldn't it? 

Where exactly?

Screen shot? (without your personal information, obviously...)

You can buy vouchers at recharge.com. Because they are not located in Canada they don't charge taxes. However, the rates fluctuate with the exchange rate and there is a processing fee.

imageedit_1_3776908580.png

Taxes are added on the make a payment page. I've never used it before so I wasn't entirely sure how taxes played in since they weren't reported on my payment history but are charged to my credit card.

I'm just gonna let autopay do its thing and not worry about it. Just out of curiosity I may check into the vouchers. Thanks for the tip!

It would be nice for the taxes to be reported on the payment history. I'm new to Public Mobile and very happy with my service, just still learning learning what to expect.

Or at least have an automatic receipt issued that shows the taxes. Before that there are multiple other glitches that need to be ironed out though.

But how was that? We need to take Public Mobile for what it is and not what we wish for.

Tav

are these chips plain or barbecue lol

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

That's true the taxes are not shown on your payment review....but we have to pay them!!!!

No taxes were applied for January as my rewards covered the estimated payment (no taxes showing there either). Wondering if I top up my estimated payment to the amount it says before the autopay system kicks in will it not charge me taxes? This is kind of what happened last month with all the rewards covering the estimated payment.

The available funds are chips that you buy at face value+tax and put into the piggy bank.

The night before renewal the Public Mobile system converts your rewards (if applicable) into chips. It checks if you have enough chips. You might have some left over from last payment, you might have paid into the piggy bank a couple of days ago. If there are enough chips to cover the renewal cost, nothing will happen at this point. If you don't have enough chips in your piggy bank, the system get's the missing amount by buying the chips with your credit card at face value + tax.  (If you don't have auto pay enabled the system is unable to top up the chips.)

Later in the night the system grabs the right amount of chips out of your piggy bank and renews your plan. If there are not enough chips in the piggy bank the renewal is not happening and your services stop working.

I got it. I just wasn't sure how the rewards, payments and taxes fit together. Screenshot upcoming for your next question. Hold tight.

Screenshot_2019-01-13-Public-Mobile---oneTimeTopUp-Page.jpg

I see what you mean. This is new to me, but seems to be another inconsistency in self serve.

For completeness, this is how it looks like in the transaction history after hitting submit on the above screen:

Screenshot_2019-01-13 Public Mobile - Transaction History.png

I am a voucher person through and through (gives me the instant receipt for total amount paid for my bookkeeping...) so I need to be careful to not miss this payment in my expense sheet!

Thank you @Tav for your question I have learned things today !!!

Tav

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

Just tried to top up the $16 estimated for my upcoming bill and it indeed adds the tax there of $2.40 to charge me $18.40 (thought I found a way to cheat the system of taxes and save a few more bucks a month lol).

It makes sense and its not a big deal to me but that discrepancy should be showing in the payment history shouldn't it? 

Where exactly?

Screen shot? (without your personal information, obviously...)

You can buy vouchers at recharge.com. Because they are not located in Canada they don't charge taxes. However, the rates fluctuate with the exchange rate and there is a processing fee.

imageedit_1_3776908580.png

Taxes are added on the make a payment page. I've never used it before so I wasn't entirely sure how taxes played in since they weren't reported on my payment history but are charged to my credit card.

I'm just gonna let autopay do its thing and not worry about it. Just out of curiosity I may check into the vouchers. Thanks for the tip!

It would be nice for the taxes to be reported on the payment history. I'm new to Public Mobile and very happy with my service, just still learning learning what to expect.

@Tav wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

The night before renewal the Public Mobile system converts your rewards (if applicable) into chips. It checks if you have enough chips. You might have some left over from last payment, you might have paid into the piggy bank a couple of days ago. If there are enough chips to cover the renewal cost, nothing will happen at this point. If you don't have enough chips in your piggy bank, the system get's the missing amount by buying the chips with your credit card at face value + tax.  (If you don't have auto pay enabled the system is unable to top up the chips.)

Later in the night the system grabs the right amount of chips out of your piggy bank and renews your plan. If there are not enough chips in the piggy bank the renewal is not happening and your services stop working.

I got it. I just wasn't sure how the rewards, payments and taxes fit together. Screenshot upcoming for your next question. Hold tight.

Screenshot_2019-01-13-Public-Mobile---oneTimeTopUp-Page.jpg

I see what you mean. This is new to me, but seems to be another inconsistency in self serve.

Yes I just check on recharge.com...for example 9,07 cad you will be charged 11,19$...so no taxes ...but not very interessant!!!

Tav

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.