cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant Top-Up

Anonymous
Not applicable

My fun with my first instant top-up.

So I read that Esso and Canadian Tire gas bars can supply instant top-ups.

Esso #1 - no we don't do those. vouchers yes. I explain about giving them my phone number. No we don't do that.

Canadian Tire - no we don't do those. vouchers yes. I explain about giving them my phone number. No we don't do that.

Esso #2 - no we don't do those. vouchers yes. I explain about giving them my phone number. No we don't do that.

Mobil (related to Esso/Exxon) - let's see who's that with? - Public Mobile - yeah I have PublicInst.TopUp what's the number? give it and verify and repeat as one does - how much? - how about $10 - that'll be $12.20 - I say what - he says a dollar fee - alrighty then

So it's an AB number too. I paid GST and provincial sales tax plus the fee. Coulda done better just doing manual top up with a card or recharge.

Oh well. I wanted the experience. Interesting that the final receipt says chatr.

Took the phone out of airplane mode, sent it a text...done. Worked right away.

instanttopup.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar 

Yes that's a fair warning. I have a "native" PM number so perhaps that's why it went so easily.

This thread from @Naepalm described an online instant top-up service where the non-native number seemed to be a problem.

@Anonymous 

I read somewhere previously that instant topups only work for 'native' Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile phone numbers, not numbers ported in from other providers. Mine would be such a number. I wonder what would happen if I tried an instant topup with my number... would it error out for the cashier, or would it accept it, and my money be lost?

Not sure I'd really want to try to find out...

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

My fun with my first instant top-up.

So I read that Esso and Canadian Tire gas bars can supply instant top-ups.

Esso #1 - no we don't do those. vouchers yes. I explain about giving them my phone number. No we don't do that.

Canadian Tire - no we don't do those. vouchers yes. I explain about giving them my phone number. No we don't do that.

Esso #2 - no we don't do those. vouchers yes. I explain about giving them my phone number. No we don't do that.

Mobil (related to Esso/Exxon) - let's see who's that with? - Public Mobile - yeah I have PublicInst.TopUp what's the number? give it and verify and repeat as one does - how much? - how about $10 - that'll be $12.20 - I say what - he says a dollar fee - alrighty then

So it's an AB number too. I paid GST and provincial sales tax plus the fee. Coulda done better just doing manual top up with a card or recharge.

Oh well. I wanted the experience. Interesting that the final receipt says chatr.

Took the phone out of airplane mode, sent it a text...done. Worked right away.

instanttopup.jpg

@Anonymous thanks for sharing your experience.  Cheers!

@Anonymous 

Alrighty then.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

@Anonymous 

Those are great examples and info on that method why don't you add them to the "Voucher Catalogue" so they dont get lost in the "abyss" and help a future customer.

**Make that bravo (and post!) actually count.

Because it's not a voucher.

It's alleged that posts in here are possibly counting too. But I'm not counting.

If someone wants to search instant top-ups then maybe they'll stumble across this post and be helped. I could've just added it to Alan_K's instructional thread too. But here we are.

This place is only an "abyss" in as far as recent posts/threads go. It's still a searchable/scrollable post/thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

@Anonymous 

Those are great examples and info on that method why don't you add them to the "Voucher Catalogue" so they dont get lost in the "abyss" and help a future customer.

**Make that bravo (and post!) actually count.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Anonymous...thanks for the intel. I think the on-line vouchers from recharge or ding.com are probably going to be my recommendations whenever the question arises.

I haven't heard any bad feedback from either of those service providers.

@hairbag1 

Well...the best option is vouchers from Canadian Cell Supplies that everyone talks about around here. (I bought two vouchers a few months ago and recently a couple SIM's). Then vouchers from a store in AB. Then having an area code from AB and using a payment card. Then I would place recharge around this point.

The plan was suspended. It simply picked up and renewed. Easy.

I don't really like giving my phone number to a system but as I said, I was just wanting to experience it. I wouldn't do instant top up again. That and the hassle of even so much as finding a store that would do it.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous...thanks for the intel. I think the on-line vouchers from recharge or ding.com are probably going to be my recommendations whenever the question arises.

I haven't heard any bad feedback from either of those service providers.

Need Help? Let's chat.