cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data or APN options for unlocked iPhone SE

cdutson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've just signed up, and whilst incoming and outgoing calls are working my data is not. It _says_ it's connected to 3G, but I'm not able to do anything with data. When I look at my APN settings, I only have personal hotspot options, the other two sections are missing.

Details: unlocked iPhone SE, latest ios (10.1.1 as of this post)

33 REPLIES 33

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Try updating to the latest software if you haven’t already. I believe it’s iOS 12.0.1

johnhenry

What was the solution?

johnhenry

This is my problem too, two years after original post.

Haven't seen the workable solution.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mtfolks wrote:

I've got a similar issue but only related to Group MMS Messaging. It doesn't seem to work on my iPhone SE. Though cellular data and imessages have worked fine since one. It appears the phone picked up the APN settings automatically as I also don't see any option to change them. 

I'm wondering if not being able to change the APN settings would affect Group MMS Messaging. Does anyone know? And if so, what's the fix?

Much appreciated.

Does regular MMS work?  Did you try rebooting the phone?  MMS won't work unless cellular data is on

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I've got a similar issue but only related to Group MMS Messaging. It doesn't seem to work on my iPhone SE. Though cellular data and imessages have worked fine since one. It appears the phone picked up the APN settings automatically as I also don't see any option to change them. 

I'm wondering if not being able to change the APN settings would affect Group MMS Messaging. Does anyone know? And if so, what's the fix?

Much appreciated.

Rockdaddy22
Ok, perfect

Mintoo
I do not think that it requires a profile since I have not read about this before

Rockdaddy22
I see, shouldn't I have a PM profile?

Mintoo
@Rockdaddy22 if the option doesn't exist that means you do not have any profiles set up

Rockdaddy22
I don't see profile under general, iPhone 7

Rockdaddy22
Beautiful, thank you.

Mintoo
@Rockdaddy22 if you go to Settinga > General > Profile. Click on the profile and hit remove profile. You will be prompted to put in your password if you have one and then it should automatically pick up the APN profile from PM but if not check those manually

Rockdaddy22
Can you explain in detail how remove an old profile?

Mintoo
Make sure there is no profile created on the iPhone. I just helped one of my friends set up his iPhone 7 and we had the same problem. This was all resolved after removing the wind profile from the phone and I putting all the APN settings again. After that, it worked right away.

Rockdaddy22
Isn't that just for older iPhones?

WearySky

I haven't had to use it, but from other prepaid services (that aren't official iPhone resellers) when googling with this issue I've seen suggestions to use unlockit.co.nz to put the APN settings in there - specifically when the iPhone isn't showing any actual APN settings to edit.

Rockdaddy22
That's how it should be, I haven't had to mess with apn settings in an iPhone in over a year on PM and I've hooked up a bunch. Maybe your carrier settings updated or something. Either way, I'm thrilled you'll be able to enjoy the full PM network.

cdutson

UPDATE: Having done nothing different from goign to bed to waking up today, my phone jumped onto LTE and it's working... fine. I still have no access to the additional APN settings, so I have no idea what's happened.

Would love some input from the PM people in regards to this so that we can at least post some info for others having this issue.

Rockdaddy22
I've hooked up a lot of iPhones on PM and never had to restore one of them. Everything from a 5C to the 7Plus just yesterday. So let's hope we don't have to do that.

Hopefully we can get this figured out today, it's a beautiful phone on an even better network 🙂

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/All-you-need-to-know-about-our-Communit...

@cdutson

Mods start work at 9am EST - send them a private message with your phone # details and get them to double check your account to make sure that the data has been setup properly.

cdutson
@imcphers that article doesn't help, sadly. Have not tried the sim in another phone yet as i need access to another unlocked phone. My account_seems_ to be in order, but how would I go about contacting a mod to be sure?

As for reset, i'll probably end up doing that today, but it's just such a pain. Doubly so if it doesnt resolve the issue

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cdutson

So it sounds like you are running on the latest iOS, you have tried all the suggestions to get access to the APN settings and that you have followed all the steps in this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201415

Here are the next steps that I would try in the order that I would try them....

1) try your sim in another unlocked phone to see if data works.

2) contact a moderator to see if there is anything wrong with your account and that data was properly enabled for your SIM on PM side.

3) restore of your iphone - did you go down that path yet?

4) open up a ticket with apple to see if they can help.

That is all that I can think of....

Rockdaddy22
AT&T? With new iPhones I didn't think you had to fiddle with the apn settings.

cdutson
@jheili99: Unlocked phone purchased in canada. No at&t to be found. I was hoping to avoid the reset option, though it's on my radar

jheili99

is your iphone se by any chance an unlocked version from the usa ( at&T ) ?

if yes then at&t is actually surpressing the APN settings as it is not needed by them..... in this case the only way would be:

1. find an at&t sim card ( even not activated ) insert it and then the apn will be visible..

2. full factory reset done via itunes and then set-up as a "new device"

just some food for thought...

cdutson
@mimmo: as stated: i am on the latest os update (10.1.1)

cdutson
@jheili99 Also stated: i am on the latest ios install, so not sure what settings you think i should be waiting on.

@imcphers: everything in that thread i have already tried (though i got the info from different sources)

mimmo

you should be running os 10.1.  My friend had same issue and we were going crasy... untill he realised that he had version 8.x. not 10.1  the all was fixed.

jheili99

hi..

all of you most likely have updates waiting ....there werer a few ios updates...

once updated these setting should be visible....

cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.