cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when will public mobile be going to the 5G network under Telus? Curious to know...

wessiegohere
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

when will public mobile be going to the 5G network under Telus? Curious to know...

9 REPLIES 9

@will13am wrote:

This service is a tier 3 flanker brand that is a couple of Gs behind.  I would tend to agree that somewhere between 6G and 7G coming to market would be the right timing.  Joking aside, for the tiny amount of data allotted for each plan cycle, 100 mbits/s is plenty fast.  A lot of people have slower home internet and probably consume a TB of data each month, right @computergeek541 ?

@will13am 

I consume more than 1TB on a home internet connection that's only 50Mbps.  I can only imagine that with a gigabit internet connection, single speed test could use more than a gigabyte within a few seconds.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @wessiegohere they just introduced 4G speed plan couple months ago to prepare the sunset of 3G.  Unless we see 6G is here and a date for the end of 4G, I don't see PM will bring in 5G speed plan any time soon. Also, it would likely be cheaper to get it from Koodo or Telus instead

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Purely a guess on my part, but I don't see it happening until 4G bands start to get aggressively re-farmed for 5G. Once 4G coverage starts to get impacted, I anticipate enablement of 5G SA. This is at least 5 years away in my opinion.

@will13am wrote:

A lot of people have slower home internet and probably consume a TB of data each month, right @computergeek541 ?

Who doesn't consume that much?  Still 12 days left 

ShawnC13_0-1678916198619.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

They probably won't unless forced, similarly to VoLTE and possibly eSIM. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This service is a tier 3 flanker brand that is a couple of Gs behind.  I would tend to agree that somewhere between 6G and 7G coming to market would be the right timing.  Joking aside, for the tiny amount of data allotted for each plan cycle, 100 mbits/s is plenty fast.  A lot of people have slower home internet and probably consume a TB of data each month, right @computergeek541 ?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Likely if there’s ever a development of a 7G network?  🤔

It’ll be years at best…

@wessiegohere wrote:

Nothing has been announced.  Any replies will be only a guess.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

They're still on 3G UMTS. They're just now changing over to supporting volte if your device is compatible. I would suspect LTE will be with us for quite a while now. 5G? Why bother? Just because your device might have it doesn't mean it can't also do LTE. It's just marketing to sell new devices.

Need Help? Let's chat.