cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to activate sim card

williamblue
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I bought a public mobile sim card and a payment voucher.

But during the activation process on public mobile's website, it tells me that I have to pay by credit card. There is no place to enter a voucher. I don't have a credit card, which is one reason that I chose a prepaid service like public mobile.

In fact, on the public mobile sim card package that I purchased, it says:

Follow these steps to activate your sim card now:

1. Have your sim card and a credit card or payment voucher handy.

2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca

3. Insert the activated sim card into your unlocked phone

So... the sim card package says that I can activate online with a payment voucher, but the website says that I must use a credit card. This really looks like fraud and false advertising.

7 REPLIES 7

fedup10
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

this is absolute deception on PM part. I am having the same problem with  $50 voucher trying to activate my sim. The first thing they ask is to regester your email to get you locked in to a trap. I wish I could get a refund and delete my email profile with PM. If I want to use credit card I can go to another carrier like rogers, freedom, bell that have live person customer support. This is just plain wrong and deceptive practice by PUBLIC MOBILE aka PUBLIC ENEMY!!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@williamblue 

Dang it. Unfortunately the marketing ads and packaging design and whatnot have yet to be sold or replaced reflecting pm's change to online only and numbskull non voucher activation provision. Did you purchase both at a retail location or separately?

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@williamblue  Or buy a prepaid credit card.. add that for payment.. not sure with the new point system what discount you’d get. Worth a look tho

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @williamblue   You have to open a ticket with PM support and ask them to setup the account first with your sim card.  Once they have set it up for you, you can then login and load the voucher and your account will the active

Please open ticket by messaging them:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yup it does. Lots of messaging around is like that.

Your workarounds are to: buy one of those visa gift cards or ask support to set up your account where they leave it in a suspended state and then you can use your voucher to pay to fully activate it.

If you use the former then you can still use the voucher after for your next renewal.

GR
Mayor / Maire

For some reason they changed it.  You'll need to contact the cs_agent and they can activate your new account with the voucher I believe!   Don't forget to use a refferal code to get a 10$ credit on your new activation and if you're getting a 40$ plan or more you can use the 12MONTHS12GB promo code to get bonus data for a year! 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Contact agent and ask him to open account for you and make it suspended immediately.

Then log in and pay service with voucher.

PM changed activation policy and what it says on SIM card package most likely is not valid anymore but nobody is going to reprint old notes.

To Contact CSA-agent; there are 2 methods:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

If ticketing does not work very first time, contact agent directly.

- Send a private message to the CSA - agent by clicking Here

Need Help? Let's chat.