cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there is no physical store for public mobile now?

kevinyang1987
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

just want to take my friends to open public mobile account where I used to open.  they told me there is no physical store to open account for this company.   they changed everything online to save money.  that is not convenient.  so now only Telus store or Kudoo store can sell the sim cards but open the account online?

thank you

9 REPLIES 9

@BKNS27 wrote:

@computergeek541 

Is this something new? I tried clicking on activate/public mobile.ca on wifi and it is not working for me. 
Am I missing something?

I wasn't stating that the website can be used.  The website cannot be used to complete an activaton. However, you said that activation cannot be done online.  All Public Mobile activations are done online.  The app still uses and requires an internet connection and by very definition is an online activation.  By saying that "online" activations are no longer done, that makes it sound as if no internet connection is needed and that activations can still be done in person (which they can't).

@computergeek541 

Is this something new? I tried clicking on activate/public mobile.ca on wifi and it is not working for me. 
Am I missing something?

@BKNS27 wrote:

@kevinyang1987 

Yes, ever since the introduction of the PM app and Eversafe ID.

My sister and a friend activated their SIM at London Drugs.

Now all SIM activation can only be done on the PM app and not online anymore.

You can only manage your account online.

App activation is online and an internet connection is required.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @kevinyang1987,

If you are searching for a location to pick up a physical SIM card, you can use the Store locator tool found on Public Mobile's website:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/qc/pick-up-SIM

You'll just need to type in your postal code into the search bar and the webpage will recommend the closest stores. As for opening your account, it is very much a self-serve approach. The steps are pretty simple if I'm being honest, but if ever you need help though, you can always rely on the community forum for guidance. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@kevinyang1987 

Yes, ever since the introduction of the PM app and Eversafe ID.

My sister and a friend activated their SIM at London Drugs.

Now all SIM activation can only be done on the PM app and not online anymore.

You can only manage your account online.

aLittleBear
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just open the account online in 30mins. I think it is very convenient and simple.

If you transfer the phone number from other provider, do not take the sim card out; turn the previous provider on in your phone. It will ensure you get the message to allow transfer. It is all set after I replied "yes" and then turn on the "public mobile" back in your cellphone(In the Cellular Setting).

@Sansan  I too initially got set up in Walmart . But then you still have to create your account online yourself . I think it’s been almost 3 years or more that Walmart stopped activating for people 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I got my first account 5 years ago at Walmart. 

Went  back to Walmart October to get another plan only to realize that the didn't offer anymore. Was quite surprised. 

It's all buy, purchase and activate yourself now through the Public Mobile App.

Some pros and cons with that.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@kevinyang1987  .yes you have to activate in the new PM app and you can buy SIM cards from some Telus Koodo stores or Oder from PM or even Amazon has them on sale  right now also $4.99 . Bit if your phone is eSIM compatible you can get for free right at activation on the app . But  it’s been a long time since you could buy simcard Wal-Mart and have them activate it for you . 

Need Help? Let's chat.