cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching to public mobile from telus

Voets01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need some clarification on plans and switching procedure, keeping numbers, and switching multiple numbers please as I a interested in leaving telus and joining public mobile.

I am however concerned about the difficulty I have experienced in getting a response to my pleas for assistance. I have tried many times to chat with a representative and chat bot is very frustrating if I am being completely honest. I don't want to lose our current phone numbers and do something wrong in the set up process. Please advise. Thank you. 

8 REPLIES 8

@Dunkman wrote:

@Voets01 

Public mobile is the tier 3 company of Telus.  Using the same network, but it is a DIY, no frills type of mobile company.  

Via the PM app, it is fairly easy and straightforward to activate and port over your Telus number.  Just provide your Telus account number, account holder name and phone number.  Avoid using IME of the phone for porting purposes. 

As for customer service, there is no live person to interact with (ie. live chat or phone number).  It is via ticketing and private messaging system.  Usually will take a few hours for response.  

When was the last time you completed a number transfer?  Account holder name is no longer required.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Voets01  and switching multiple number

One thing to bear in mind, each number has to have a separate account, there is no family plan.  Some people have run into trouble trying to port multiple numbers to one account.  

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Voets01 

I personally recommend activating with a temporary phone # and once you ensure you have full service (calls/texts/data) on the Public Mobile sim card you can port in your phone # via the "change number" feature on your profile page in your self serve account. Just be sure to update your eversafe ID with your newly ported phone #.

Make sure you port in the Telus account holder's phone # last as it can cause your Telus account to be closed before you port the other phone numbers over. Once it's the only phone # left to be ported it will automatically cancel and close your Telus account.

Customer support requests can also be done via private message only if you prefer to skip using the chatbot. Use the link below for private messaging to a CS_Agent. They are backed up seemingly beyond 48 hours currently which is highly unusual ( normally a couple of hours to recieve a reply).

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

It's best to activate each account separately using the PM app on each individual device. However if you prefer to use the app for all activations on one device using physical Sim cards then its best to uninstall and reinstall the PM app between each activation. After activation self serve account management such as port requests can be done online if your prefer.

Make sure you leave or put the Telus Sim cards in the phone(s) to reply YES to the porting authorization text from Telus within 90 minutes of recieving it. Using the Telus account # for porting is easiest and you should see the port complete within minutes once you answer YES to the text. You will recieve a "Sorry to see you go" email from Telus once your service cancels and Sim card ceases functioning.

Don't forget to use your referral code on the first account created on the others to earn 1 referral point per month and a one time $10 bonus referral credit for the new activation.

@Voets01 Yes, you can, but  i believe you have to create an account first and be signed in for it to work.

AI🙄

@Voets01 wrote:

I understand that there is the chatbot, but it keeps eluding to the fact that I can request a customer service rep. If this isn't the case it shouldnt bait that hook. 

The chatbot does allow customer service to be contacted.  Typing in "customer service" immediately gives that option.

Voets01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I understand that there is the chatbot, but it keeps eluding to the fact that I can request a customer service rep. If this isn't the case it shouldnt bait that hook. 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Voets01  always best to read up on public mobile first.

You must know there is no live reps here. Have you have stated, just ticketing system for contacting reps.

Yes, you can keep your number.

Read process below.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/nt/get-help/articles/transfer-your-number

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Voets01 

Public mobile is the tier 3 company of Telus.  Using the same network, but it is a DIY, no frills type of mobile company.  

Via the PM app, it is fairly easy and straightforward to activate and port over your Telus number.  Just provide your Telus account number, account holder name and phone number.  Avoid using IME of the phone for porting purposes. 

As for customer service, there is no live person to interact with (ie. live chat or phone number).  It is via ticketing and private messaging system.  Usually will take a few hours for response.  

Need Help? Let's chat.