cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching from moto g android 5.1 to second-hand samsung s5 neo

cnantais
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Greetings,

I've been searching for very simple directions and haven't been able to find them. If there are instructions posted somewhere, I'd really appreciate a link, or a direct reply here. It all seems confusing, so simple step by step directions would be greatly appreciated !

I got a moto g android 5.1 when PM first switched and required everyone to get a new compatible phone. I am being offered a second-hand samsung s5 (?neo, or otherwise?), and can't get a grip on how to best to make the switch.

Do I just transfer the PM sim card from the moto g over to the samsung? My moto g doesn't seem to have a way of opening it to find/remove the sim card...

42 REPLIES 42

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

My apologies, I am still confused.

In the most basic sense, I want my new (second hand) galaxy s5 phone to operate just as my existing moto g has, with all old data and new functionality offered with s5

@cnantais  Move the sim from one sim phone to the other...Just do it!! It's not that difficult.

You can do it!! Smiley Happy

If you don't like just put the sim back in the Motto G. No harm done.

That's all well and good but his/her data is not necessarily going to migrate over. It depends on how the soon-to-be old phone is configured. 

@cnantais wrote:

In the most basic sense, I want my new (second hand) galaxy s5 phone to operate just as my existing moto g has, with all old data and new functionality offered with s5

@cnantais  Move the sim from one sim phone to the other...Just do it!! It's not that difficult.

You can do it!! Smiley Happy

If you don't like the results  just put the sim back in the Motto G. No harm done.

mh1983

@cnantais wrote:

And I'm here to tell you that there are some steps involved. Follow the guidance in this thread. Look up youtube videos on backup/restore tips. At the end of the day, you'll still have your old phone (I hope? I'd certainly recommend to keep it around.) so if something didn't carry over, you can resolve that issue at that time. 

cnantais

mh1983

@cnantais wrote:

Thanks so much for the quick reply mh1983

You ask: "You're simply talking switching your SIM card over or are you looking for guidance for data backup too?" 

A. Both - so if I succeed in removing the sim card from my moto g and then insert it into the samsung, that will transfer all my phone data over??

And also work with my existing PM service plan and phone number??

Or are there other steps involved...??

Np at all!

No, switching the SIM will merely bring your call service from one phone to the other, so you'll be able to call and text from the new phone but your data (docs, pics, videos, text, etc) won't be there. 

When switching phones, I tend to go with copying important content to a micro SD card in one phone, and then move that card to the new phone. For photos/video, there's also an option to backup to the cloud within Google Photos so that might be worth doing too. Email/contacts/calendar stuff tends to be tied to a specific account (ex Gmail, Outlook etc) so that would carry over when you sign into the new phone.

For text, try out an SMS backup app in Google Play w/ good reviews (the backup file could also be moved to the SD card and restored onto the new phone).

@cnantais wrote:

You ask: "You're simply talking switching your SIM card over or are you looking for guidance for data backup too?" 

A. Both - so if I succeed in removing the sim card from my moto g and then insert it into the samsung, that will transfer all my phone data over??

@cnantais  Yes all your phone services are connected to your SIM/plan and transferring the SIM to another compatible phone won't cause you to lose any of your plan features. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@cnantais wrote:

Greetings,

I've been searching for very simple directions and haven't been able to find them. If there are instructions posted somewhere, I'd really appreciate a link, or a direct reply here. It all seems confusing, so simple step by step directions would be greatly appreciated !

I got a moto g android 5.1 when PM first switched and required everyone to get a new compatible phone. I am being offered a second-hand samsung s5 (?neo, or otherwise?), and can't get a grip on how to best to make the switch.

Do I just transfer the PM sim card from the moto g over to the samsung?

@cnantais  Yes, that is correct both phones use a Micro SIM so the procedure will be to simply move the SIM from the Motto G to the Smamsung S5.

My moto g doesn't seem to have a way of opening it to find/remove the sim card...

Take a look at the link that was provided for the Motto G. For the Samsung S5 neo use this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDu28ZwWMOw

You can move the sim card back and forth to make sure all your Apps and data is migrated. If you are using a Google account most of the info will get restored automatically.

No it will not automatically transfer all your data over @cnantais . Do you back up your phone to a Yahoo or Google account? @mh1983 And @Triguy seem to be doing a great job here.  

@cnantais wrote:

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@cnantais As you joined PM that long ago, it's likely that you have the original micro/standard SIM. As suggested just move the current SIM to the new phone. I think they require the same size.

As far as setting up the new phone, to copy everything you have installed on the old one onto the Samsung have a look at this article: https://www.jihosoft.com/phone-transfer/transfer-data-from-motorola-to-samsung.html.

I am not familar with Android, so someone else may have better reference. @mimmo  @srlawren @computergeek541

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

cnantais

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There should be a small hole slightly larger then a pin hole usually on the side that you need to eject with sim tray ejector tool (like pin needle).  It should pop out a sim tray that you would removed and put in your other phone.  If you use data then you may need to configure APN settings.

mh1983

You're simply talking switching your SIM card over or are you looking for guidance for data backup too? 

In terms of the SIM, yes, just a matter of popping it out of the old phone and into the new. Here's a video on inserting/popping out SIM cards in the moto G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzK74ZY1uF4. You'll need a sim card tool (local phone kiosks may spare you one they have lying around) or you'd have to fashion one out of a safety pin. You could find the equivalent video for the S5 neo i'm sure.

Need Help? Let's chat.