cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching from moto g android 5.1 to second-hand samsung s5 neo

cnantais
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Greetings,

I've been searching for very simple directions and haven't been able to find them. If there are instructions posted somewhere, I'd really appreciate a link, or a direct reply here. It all seems confusing, so simple step by step directions would be greatly appreciated !

I got a moto g android 5.1 when PM first switched and required everyone to get a new compatible phone. I am being offered a second-hand samsung s5 (?neo, or otherwise?), and can't get a grip on how to best to make the switch.

Do I just transfer the PM sim card from the moto g over to the samsung? My moto g doesn't seem to have a way of opening it to find/remove the sim card...

42 REPLIES 42

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cnantais wrote:

Absolutely, and so sorry for the mistake!

@cnantais no worries, it's not a big deal really, more of a guideline.  Robot Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

cnantais

@srlawren wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

My contacts eventually appeared on the new, but had to use samsung smart switch for all other apps - and even then, not all of the info migrated and I had to reestablish accounts and settings (Because I don't save passwords or allow for cloud saving)

@cnantais I'm glad you got everything worked out.  I notice you chose this post (which I've quoted, minus the quotes in it) as solution.  Generally it's frowned upon in the community to choose one of your own replies as the solution.  Would you consider unmarking it and then choosing one of the responses that best helped you get through the process and marking that instead?

Absolutely, and so sorry for the mistake!

srlawren

@cnantais wrote:

My contacts eventually appeared on the new, but had to use samsung smart switch for all other apps - and even then, not all of the info migrated and I had to reestablish accounts and settings (Because I don't save passwords or allow for cloud saving)

@cnantais I'm glad you got everything worked out.  I notice you chose this post (which I've quoted, minus the quotes in it) as solution.  Generally it's frowned upon in the community to choose one of your own replies as the solution.  Would you consider unmarking it and then choosing one of the responses that best helped you get through the process and marking that instead?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure what the video demonstrated, but to remove a sim from a 1st generation Moto G, you push it in slightly and it springs out.

It was in fact tricky to get the card in and out -- one of the video links above from another responder helped me see how to do it - I don't think even a child's tiny fingers could have been able to pull it out...I used a safety pin to nudge it out enough to get a grasp of it.

You are welcome @cnantais . Glad that we could help you . Have a great week .

@cnantais wrote:

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

cnantais

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

cnantais

@computergeek541 wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

You're simply talking switching your SIM card over or are you looking for guidance for data backup too? 

In terms of the SIM, yes, just a matter of popping it out of the old phone and into the new. Here's a video on inserting/popping out SIM cards in the moto G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzK74ZY1uF4. You'll need a sim card tool (local phone kiosks may spare you one they have lying around) or you'd have to fashion one out of a safety pin. You could find the equivalent video for the S5 neo i'm sure.

@Triguy wrote:

There should be a small hole slightly larger then a pin hole usually on the side that you need to eject with sim tray ejector tool (like pin needle).  It should pop out a sim tray that you would removed and put in your other phone.  If you use data then you may need to configure APN settings.

Neither of the phone models being discussed use removeable sim card trays. There is no pin hole.No tools are required to remove or insert a sim card.

It was in fact tricky to get the card in and out -- one of the video links above from another responder helped me see how to do it - I don't think even a child's tiny fingers could have been able to pull it out...I used a safety pin to nudge it out enough to get a grasp of it.

cnantais

@dabr wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

My apologies, I am still confused.

In the most basic sense, I want my new (second hand) galaxy s5 phone to operate just as my existing moto g has, with all old data and new functionality offered with s5

@cnantais  Move the sim from one sim phone to the other...Just do it!! It's not that difficult.

You can do it!! Smiley Happy

If you don't like just put the sim back in the Motto G. No harm done.

That's all well and good but his/her data is not necessarily going to migrate over. It depends on how the soon-to-be old phone is configured. 

@mh1983  There is only one way to find out!! OP can go back no harm done!!

🙂 Agreed. But let's be careful not conflate moving a SIM over with moving data over. I'm just trying to set expectations.

@cnantais  Start the journey, take the first step. We are her to help if you have any more questions.

@geopublic  I'm a little confused why the data wouldn't transfer over when swapping SIM from an one phone to another.  IIRC I changed phones almost a year ago, from Moto E to S5 and I don't recollect any issues with missing data or any of my plan's services being affected.   Unless I'm missing some point here?

cnantais

@Obice wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

Greetings,

I've been searching for very simple directions and haven't been able to find them. If there are instructions posted somewhere, I'd really appreciate a link, or a direct reply here. It all seems confusing, so simple step by step directions would be greatly appreciated !

I got a moto g android 5.1 when PM first switched and required everyone to get a new compatible phone. I am being offered a second-hand samsung s5 (?neo, or otherwise?), and can't get a grip on how to best to make the switch.

Do I just transfer the PM sim card from the moto g over to the samsung? My moto g doesn't seem to have a way of opening it to find/remove the sim card...

There should be a way to remove the back of your Moto G and remove the SIM or perhaps it's one of those devices where the back is not removable so you need a needle to eject your SIM from the phone and then transfer your SIM to your Samsung device which if I'm not mistaken does indeed have a removable back, then you insert your SIM and hopefully it fits because sometimes you need an SIM-card adapter and those will set you back a few bucks. I'd recommend going onto eBay and getting like 3-5 for a few bucks -- they sell them like candy.

True on all counts, was a bit tricky for me, but was able to deal with by other responders' links and video references. I did not have to buy anything, and 'though it was a lengthy chat with Samsung, in the end, working with them I got it all up and running...

cnantais

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

In the most basic sense, I want my new (second hand) galaxy s5 phone to operate just as my existing moto g has, with all old data and new functionality offered with s5

@cnantais  Move the sim from one sim phone to the other...Just do it!! It's not that difficult.

That's all well and good but his/her data is not necessarily going to migrate over. It depends on how the soon-to-be old phone is configured. 

What did transfer automatically was my contact list -- and I think even then only because I made an outgoing call (to voicemail) and / or missed an incoming call  (didn't answer bc caller id was strange) ?

I did need to use samsung smart switch to recover app data, texts, etc.

But, it was reassuring to hear that I could switch back and forth and make individual control over migration

srlawren

@cnantais wrote:

Thanks everyone! I got the sign in codes via samsung chat and am now going to try out the samsung smart switch app. I'm going to leave this thread open till i've managed to migrate everything.

@cnantais that's great!  I helped my partner's son transfer from a Samsung Galaxy S7 to a newer Galaxy A50 a couple of months ago, and it was quite straightforward with Smart Switch.  Hopefully it works as well for you.  Please keep us posted.

cnantais

Thanks everyone! I got the sign in codes via samsung chat and am now going to try out the samsung smart switch app. I'm going to leave this thread open till i've managed to migrate everything.

@cnantais wrote:

I got the sim back out of the samsung, found the sim pin, entered it, and now getting 'network locked sim card' and then 'device is blocked'...

@cnantais You must get the Network Unlock PUK code the previous provider.
If your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat. To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

@cnantais Contact a moderator and ask them for it. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen . This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one . (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket )

@cnantais wrote:

I got the sim back out of the samsung, found the sim pin, entered it, and now getting 'network locked sim card' and then 'device is blocked'...

cnantais

You are welcome @cnantais did you ever get the unlock code from Samsung Online?  To get the puk code you need to contact a moderator.  However, to find out which code you require use @Luddite article here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Unlock-Nokia-lumia-830/m-p/486178/hig...

@cnantais wrote:

Thanks again to all who are helping.

I bit the bullet, put the PM sim card into the samsung and am now being asked for sim PIN...

@user91830 can you please help - I did find way to change the pin on my account page, but only the last 4 digits are visible

cnantais

Thanks again to all who are helping.

I bit the bullet, put the PM sim card into the samsung and am now being asked for sim PIN...

@user91830 can you please help - I did find way to change the pin on my account page, but only the last 4 digits are visible

srlawren

@cnantais you may want to try Samsung's "Smart Switch" app, available on the Play Store:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover&hl=en_CA.  It should make your life easier moving all your text messages, photos, downloaded files, music, etc over to your Samsung.  Install on both phones and follow the prompts.  

cnantais

@DOA wrote:

It's pretty easy to pry the back off a 1st gen Moto G (I have one). Just stick your fingernails under the seam on the side of the phone and pry. Once the back is off, you'll see the sim sticking out of the side of the phone to the right of the camera.  Push it in and it will pop out.

Both the Moto G and the Samsung use the same size micro sim.

If your Moto G is connected to a Google account (you have Gmail, right) everything, contacts etc, will transfer over when you swap sims.

Yes, I was able to open the moto g following earlier poster's instructions, and thank you for info that "Both the Moto G and the Samsung use the same size micro sim." - that is helpful to know.

@cnantais wrote:

Thank you all who have been responding...I don't have the new second-hand phone yet, just trying to gain better understanding of what I'll need to do.

One piece of information has also been confusing: that the second / new phone needs to be unlocked...?

@cnantais  If the S5 was previously used on a network other than Telus, Koodo or Public there is a possibility it might have been locked by the previous provider. If that is the case ask the owner of the phone to get it unlocked by calling their provider.

Since your phone is a Samsung you might be able to get an unlock code from the Samsung website via a chat. To start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170.

Hope this helps!

DOA

It's pretty easy to pry the back off a 1st gen Moto G (I have one). Just stick your fingernails under the seam on the side of the phone and pry. Once the back is off, you'll see the sim sticking out of the side of the phone to the right of the camera.  Push it in and it will pop out.

Both the Moto G and the Samsung use the same size micro sim.

If your Moto G is connected to a Google account (you have Gmail, right) everything, contacts etc, will transfer over when you swap sims.

cnantais

@computergeek541 , I was able to open the moto g and see the sim through the video links sent by other responders...

All of you guys are awesome, I so appreciate this help

@cnantais wrote:

My moto g doesn't seem to have a way of opening it to find/remove the sim card...

Here's infromation directly from Motorla on how to remove the sim. This part is really just a matter of taking off the back cover. 

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/97317/p/30,6720,9050

@mh1983 wrote:

You're simply talking switching your SIM card over or are you looking for guidance for data backup too? 

In terms of the SIM, yes, just a matter of popping it out of the old phone and into the new. Here's a video on inserting/popping out SIM cards in the moto G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzK74ZY1uF4. You'll need a sim card tool (local phone kiosks may spare you one they have lying around) or you'd have to fashion one out of a safety pin. You could find the equivalent video for the S5 neo i'm sure.

@Triguy wrote:

There should be a small hole slightly larger then a pin hole usually on the side that you need to eject with sim tray ejector tool (like pin needle).  It should pop out a sim tray that you would removed and put in your other phone.  If you use data then you may need to configure APN settings.

Neither of the phone models being discussed use removeable sim card trays. There is no pin hole.No tools are required to remove or insert a sim card.

@geopublic wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

🙂 Agreed. But let's be careful not conflate moving a SIM over with moving data over. I'm just trying to set expectations.

@cnantais  Start the journey, take the first step. We are her to help if you have any more questions.

@geopublic  I'm a little confused why the data wouldn't transfer over when swapping SIM from an one phone to another.  IIRC I changed phones almost a year ago, from Moto E to S5 and I don't recollect any issues with missing data or any of my plan's services being affected.   Unless I'm missing some point here?

cnantais

Thank you all who have been responding...I don't have the new second-hand phone yet, just trying to gain better understanding of what I'll need to do.

One piece of information has also been confusing: that the second / new phone needs to be unlocked...?

Obice

@cnantais wrote:

Greetings,

There should be a way to remove the back of your Moto G and remove the SIM or perhaps it's one of those devices where the back is not removable so you need a needle to eject your SIM from the phone and then transfer your SIM to your Samsung device which if I'm not mistaken does indeed have a removable back, then you insert your SIM and hopefully it fits because sometimes you need an SIM-card adapter and those will set you back a few bucks. I'd recommend going onto eBay and getting like 3-5 for a few bucks -- they sell them like candy.

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@cnantais wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.