cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card activation on a flip-phone

301cafe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How does one activate a PM sim card installed in a flip phone that cannot download/run the PM activation APP?

In my case I have been using an Easyphone 4g voLTE flip phone with Telus & Bell, which works just fine.  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

301cafe

Thank-you.  I've been away for the past week or more.  I did message support when I got back, and they've helped me with the activation of my phone after a couple of days.  All seems to be working well now.

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @301cafe 

My friend without a smart phone actually can activate without the app before

you can actually just use the browser to activate.  It will go to the payment step, make the payment

after you made the payment, you will have to message support agent and ask them to complete the rest of the step.  Slightly longer than using the app, but it gets you to the finish point too

After you make the payment , use this link to and open ticket with PM support agent

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

This is outdated information. As of March 2024, possibly even since January 2024, CSA are not helping with this process anymore. New activations do need to use the app.

IMHO it's just another part of the strategy to make this service unappealing to low cost / minimum data users - I assume it's the line of thought that forcing the use of the app means that you are using a smart phone, meaning that you are a target for the higher ARPU plans of  $29+ ...

Cuddles2Point0

I had to do this yesterday and the only solution I found was downloading the app on another device ie smart phone or tablet and completing the final steps that way. Hope this helps.

@301cafe 

I just recently activated a new account for a senior relative myself. He didn't want a smartphone so I got him a simple bar phone similar in technology to yours. I had to download the PM app to my iphone to activate that new account. Once it was up and running successfully, I could delete the app from my phone. It was easy to accomplish. Give it some thinking...must be someone in your tribe who has something you can use to activate. Seems like everyone under 65 has smartphones these days. Good luck and welcome fellow dinosaur.

HI @301cafe 

My friend without a smart phone actually can activate without the app before

you can actually just use the browser to activate.  It will go to the payment step, make the payment

after you made the payment, you will have to message support agent and ask them to complete the rest of the step.  Slightly longer than using the app, but it gets you to the finish point too

After you make the payment , use this link to and open ticket with PM support agent

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@301cafe wrote:

No, not very easily.  Doesn't PM have a version of the APP that will run on a PC (I'm a senior dinosaur)?

Sorry, but the website cannot be used to finish an activation.

301cafe

No, not very easily.  Doesn't PM have a version of the APP that will run on a PC (I'm a senior dinosaur)?

@301cafe wrote:

How does one activate a PM sim card installed in a flip phone that cannot download/run the PM activation APP?

In my case I have been using an Easyphone 4g voLTE flip phone with Telus & Bell, which works just fine.  

Activation will need to be completed with either an Apple or Android smartphone.   Can you borrow one from a friend? 

Need Help? Let's chat.