cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Talk is not included in your current plan" message that is incorrect

dowser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can't call certain numbers as I get that message, even although my account has:

• - 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

It looks like local numbers are fine, but not long distance, even 1-800

19 REPLIES 19

CanonD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I dialled a number from an iPhone SE  by clicking on the entry in a note: The note had the number as: 1886xxxxxxx ext xxxx

the number dialled turned out to be 1886xxxxxxx;xxxx

the difference being that the [space]ext[space] was replaced with a semi-colon ;

After two attempts, I tried the number by clicking on the same number without the extension and it went right through. I then typed in the extension at the prompt from the receiving number.

This is a work around, perhaps. It doesn't answer the question of why the odd message was given, but it did enable me to get through. I hope this helps.

EstherHanlin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am also receiving this message when I call but it is not consistent. I can call a number 2-3 times and get this message and then on the next try - it seems to work just fine.

I've done a hard re-boot on the device and it seems to have no effect on the issue. I've sent a message to the mderator to see if there is something they can advise to try and fix this.

@Alunrm wrote:

wow, I point out that the answers provided even by the mods are incorrect and get blasted by a model citizen? Guess participatipn from those who have a difference of opinion isn't welcome. Duly noted, and thanks for the respectful reply.    

@Alunrm  If the answers from the moderators are incorrect then point it out to public mobile. Tag @Alan_K  in your post so he can address the issue. Review the moderators that supplied incorrect answers  here:   I certainly wasn't trying to imply that those with a difference of opinion are not welcome on the community. I wouldn't have replied f I thought that. That would be hypocritical  to do so....its part of what drives the community is lively discussion. I'm starting to dislike this "model citizen" designation bestowed upon me so recently but in that spirit and my nature I do apologise if my response was harsher than I meant it to be...it does come off more of a rebuke than defense of discount carrier that I personally find to be more receptive to ideas, suggestions and "credit" where due than most first tier providers and the efforts of community who are invaluable to public mobiles ability to offer the service they do despite its downfalls at the price we can afford.

Alunrm

wow, I point out that the answers provided even by the mods are incorrect and get blasted by a model citizen? Guess participatipn from those who have a difference of opinion isn't welcome. Duly noted, and thanks for the respectful reply.    

@Alunrm wrote:

which is a justification for saying that if you experience an issue, the answer you get maybe completely wrong and useless - such as the ones I received when I experienced this - which included, remove and re-install your SIM card, - report your phone as lost or stolen, and then report it as found ( a very frustrating experience when you are working on the road - cause ya gotta find a free wifi spot).  If you are going to provide a knowledge base and answers it needs to be accurate, at the very least, and updated as new issues are identified.  Saying "Public Mobile is funny that way"  is a nice way of saying the answer you get could be completely inaccurate.  It would be better to say, if you decide to subscribe to a discount carrier, expect little to non existent support when you have an issue.  At the least the fact that dialing a number with extra digits in it may result in a message that indicates you don't have talk should show up in the list of issues when you search the knowledge base,and should be included in the response from the mods. Neither of which happened when I got the message. Not sure why there is a need to defend poor service? Issue identified, work to resolve it. That is how to keep and grow a customer base. Many users who are not comfortable in a 100% digital environment would be completely unwilling to accept this type of service and frustration, even if they were offered a free 30 days of service by clicking on a forum post.

@Alunrm  I'm not sure what you actually expect from public mobile? You acknowledge it's a discount provider but your complaining because your not getting first tier customer service? You were given a solution to your issue by programming a pause but this is unsatisfactory because it involves a little work by you to make it happen? Because your previous provider (1st tier?) Provided that service for you. You are unhappy with the help you received by other members and customers as they tried to work towards a solution for you. And I say for you rather than with since you seem to expect your fellow members to immeadiately know the answer to every problem. Have you been on other mobility providers community sites? Range from ok (koodo) non existent base/slow responses to completely useless (fido). I once tried 100 different questions seeking an answer and 99 responses of nothing came back. Out of frustration I typed why is fido so f#*$ed? I literally got a thousand answers. Community members especially new ones can be excited to help someone even if they are throwing out a possible solution that solved many issues just not yours. But to expect them to know any more than you is presumptuous  because if you spent enough time on here you would have been able to identify  it as a generic calling error message and worked out on your own the error you were performing.  You also know how to avoid the message, you now have a solution to your problem but it's not the solution on your wish list. To get that wish granted is easy. Go back to your previous provider , pay about double of what you pay now and you can call customer service (wait times are longer than expected) and then vent to an agent and demand a credit that you won't receive because your error message didn't suit your specific definition. Had you followed up with moderators by asking for an explanation  they may have been able to provide it to you. In regards to those uncomfortable with a 100% digital environment  you are correct it is probably not the right service for them or for you perhaps. I fit that definition when I switched but I realized I was going to put in some effort on my part to get more out of the service then what I monetarily put in. As they say ...you can't help someone unless they want to help themselves. If you don't want to put the time and effort in to public mobile so you save money then just pay for a service where they do it for you. I'm surprised you don't want ice cream with your cake as well.

Alunrm

which is a justification for saying that if you experience an issue, the answer you get maybe completely wrong and useless - such as the ones I received when I experienced this - which included, remove and re-install your SIM card, - report your phone as lost or stolen, and then report it as found ( a very frustrating experience when you are working on the road - cause ya gotta find a free wifi spot).  If you are going to provide a knowledge base and answers it needs to be accurate, at the very least, and updated as new issues are identified.  Saying "Public Mobile is funny that way"  is a nice way of saying the answer you get could be completely inaccurate.  It would be better to say, if you decide to subscribe to a discount carrier, expect little to non existent support when you have an issue.  At the least the fact that dialing a number with extra digits in it may result in a message that indicates you don't have talk should show up in the list of issues when you search the knowledge base,and should be included in the response from the mods. Neither of which happened when I got the message. Not sure why there is a need to defend poor service? Issue identified, work to resolve it. That is how to keep and grow a customer base. Many users who are not comfortable in a 100% digital environment would be completely unwilling to accept this type of service and frustration, even if they were offered a free 30 days of service by clicking on a forum post.

@Alunrm wrote:

As may be, but that still doesnt explain why I get the message that my plan does not include talk. Which, is the subject of this communication, after all, isnt it?

Public Mobile is funny in that way.  That message doesn't actually always mean that. It will also say that if you are on a limited minutes plan and run out, and sometimes if an invalid phone number is dialed.

Alunrm

As may be, but that still doesnt explain why I get the message that my plan does not include talk. Which, is the subject of this communication, after all, isnt it?

@Alunrm wrote:

interesting thought - guess that will be a google search when my frustration level reaches the point my patience level will exceed it. However I suspect  that may not generate the desire result .....because, on my previous mobile service, this functioned as intended. So, based on the fact that the only thing that changed was the SIM card / mobile supplier, why would I have to modify resident  programming?

If your phone attempts to send the extension infromation before the call is connected and the receiving end ready to accept it, that will result in the number being dialed to be invalid.

Alunrm

interesting thought - guess that will be a google search when my frustration level reaches the point my patience level will exceed it. However I suspect  that may not generate the desire result .....because, on my previous mobile service, this functioned as intended. So, based on the fact that the only thing that changed was the SIM card / mobile supplier, why would I have to modify resident  programming?

@Alunrm wrote:

I get this message every time the phone number in my contacts has the person's extenion. Its frustrating as heck, especially when trying to work. basically means you have to dial manually rfather than use your contact list.  Have mentioned on more than one occaission over the last year, without it being addressed. 

I would add additional pause commands before having the phone dial the extension number. Extensions are not dialed/routed through the network, but rather by the receiving end's phone system.

@Alunrm  Nice try? Well if you bring up the subject every few months maybe eventually you'll get a solution. Everybody has a wish list...yours might actually be granted one day.

Alunrm

did,

it ain't there

@Alunrm wrote:

I get this message every time the phone number in my contacts has the person's extenion. Its frustrating as heck, especially when trying to work. basically means you have to dial manually rfather than use your contact list.  Have mentioned on more than one occaission over the last year, without it being addressed. 

@Alunrm  Try typing it in the search bar to see if someone had a solution for it in the past.

Alunrm

dowser

Actually your answer is also correct. The number I called was fine yesterday, but not today, so I'm good! Thank you!

@geopublic wrote:

@dowser usually that happens when you are dialing an incorrect number. Check the number and try again otherwise try calling another number that you know works. Dial the number directly with +1 in front of it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This issue hasn't been mentioned in a quite a while.  @dowser , I suggest contacting the moderator team and asking them to do an account reset.  That should clear up your calling feature.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using smartforms which is initiated by clicking on the ? on the lower right corner of the webpage or try using this link. The guided process will facilitate documentation of the issue or concern and the required resolution which will be submitted to the moderator team. Refer to this announcement link for additional details on smartforms and the ticketing system for moderator team interactions. Refer to the following knowledge base article for additional information on the moderator team.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@dowser usually that happens when you are dialing an incorrect number. Check the number and try again otherwise try calling another number that you know works. Dial the number directly with +1 in front of it.

dowser

I also have minutes in my old long distance add-on

@dowser wrote:

I can't call certain numbers as I get that message, even although my account has:

• - 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

It looks like local numbers are fine, but not long distance, even 1-800

Need Help? Let's chat.