cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Public Mobile" scrolling across screen on Iphone

bigscottydawg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My daughter has an Iphone (X I beleive). The name of the carrier, in this case Public Mobile, is too long to display in one shot so it scrolls across the top left of her screen. It is very distracting when she is using her phone. I saw that this issue was raised a number of years ago but couldn't find anything recent. I wonder if there is a solution for this issue other than going with Android (not helpful thanks)?

Thank you for your help.

25 REPLIES 25

There are several workarounds for this issue - hide the banner, replace the banner, change the banner. But they all require you jailbreak your iPhone.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/replace-carrier-name-your-iphones-status-bar-with-custom-text-log... 

Another workaround is to swap a non-Public Mobile SIM card (and service) into the iPhone for a while. When you re-install your PM SIM card your phone will sometimes report "Telus" instead of "Public Mobile" for a few hours (or days, or longer). Not much of a workaround, admittedly, but Public Mobile's banner isn't an annoyance on other devices so you can blame this problem on Apple.

It seems the only real fix is to not use an iPhone, not subscribe to Public Mobile, or to not be annoyed by the playful dancing banner text.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bigscottydawg  Have your daughter plug her phone with wire to computer and open Itunes. See if it pushes any carrier updates. There is a thread (below) on Apple's site that a person in USA had scrolling carrier and that after they spoke to people at their provider they were informed to do a carrier update. Which stopped the scrolling. Worth giving it a try?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251402080

@Camera4617 wrote:

- Change provider (but I'd double check if the issue exists with it)

Haha @Camera4617 , we don't want this to happen  🙂

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bigscottydawg wrote:

Turns out my daughter's phone is Iphone SE 2020 not the X I thought it was

@bigscottydawg  Ok, then that's a bit different story then. Yeah, it could be annoying as it scrolls all the time. I don't think there is a simple solution there but here is what you could do:

- Change phone to something that is not scrolling (at least when unlocked). iPhone with 6 inch could be a solution (iPhone X, XR, 11, 12, 13). Or some android one.. 

- Change provider (but I'd double check if the issue exists with it)

- Jailbreak phone (only if you are really tech person as this is quite painful and risky process. I personally would not recommend it)

- Just live with it and there might be some future OS updates that would solve problem, but knowing apple I doubt.. 

Not sure if @bigscottydawg  tried to make the system font smaller, it could be a solution.

But again, I checked around again, it's an OS issue and it might change after an OS upgrade.  

bigscottydawg

Sorry good point. I was referring specifically to Android as opposed to iphone.

@bigscottydawg wrote:

It's an Iphone issue caused by the Public Mobile name being too long. Most carriers just use their Telus or Rogers or Koodo, they don't put the word Mobile or Public or Wireless behind it so it's not an issue.

@bigscottydawg 

It's not just iphone issue.

I have an Alcatel flip with Petro Can and it's also scrolling. Name too long like you said.

bigscottydawg

Thanks. I don't beleive those settings can be changed. The problem is just that the name Public Mobile is too long for the length of screen available so it scrolls.

bigscottydawg

Turns out my daughter's phone is Iphone SE 2020 not the X I thought it was

bigscottydawg

Yes it scrolls when she uses it which is why it is so distracting.

bigscottydawg

It's an Iphone issue caused by the Public Mobile name being too long. Most carriers just use their Telus or Rogers or Koodo, they don't put the word Mobile or Public or Wireless behind it so it's not an issue.

@LeePublic wrote:

This is one of the small pet peeves I have about PM, they should shorten the carrier name to "Public", not "Public Mobile", Lucky Mobile is "Lucky", and Chatr is "chatr".

This is more of a phone software issue.  Phone manufactuers can program the network banner name to any length cof maximum characters they wish.  They can even program the software to ignore the name that the SIM card provides for renaming the detected networks.  As this has no effect on service, I don't beleive any change will occur from Public Mobile.

LeePublic

@hTideGnow I meant on the phone when showing the carrier name.

@LeePublic wrote:

This is one of the small pet peeves I have about PM, they should shorten the carrier name to "Public", not "Public Mobile", Lucky Mobile is "Lucky", and Chatr is "chatr".

HI @LeePublic  , We shorten it already... PM.. or you shorten it a bit too LeePublic   🙂

LeePublic

How about when viewing the phone horizontally.....make a 1/4 turn. I know.....not a resolution. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@bigscottydawg 

Could text size or an accessibility setting be causing the network name to be too large font to fit the network display field?

Have a look in those settings and try setting them to default. 

thanks @Camera4617 

It might have to do with OS version.  Funny some people online want to hide it, some upset that it disappears after an OS upgrade

Camera4617

@hTideGnow No, I have iPhone 12 which is the same screen and same OS like iPhone X that OP mentioned.

@Camera4617 wrote:

@bigscottydawg  It is scrolling when she uses it? For me, it is not even visible when I use the phone, only on when phone is locked and in that case it really doesn't bother me. 

Hi @Camera4617 , you have an Samsung. ?

Camera4617

@bigscottydawg  It is scrolling when she uses it? For me, it is not even visible when I use the phone, only on when phone is locked and in that case it really doesn't bother me. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@bigscottydawg    I have seen that scrolling on a couple of phones too, one was an Alcatel Go Flip and another was the Lume (also Alcatel android).  The scrolling only appeared with a PM SIM and never with another carrier's SIM, also not always consistently as previously (both phones) had a different PM SIM without the scrolling.  

It seems the scrolling stopped on the Lume after I replaced that PM SIM with another carrier's (for a short period), which I just realized after reading your post that I don't see the scrolling of the network name anymore even though it currently is using a PM SIM.     So, if possible, try another carrier's SIM in your daughter's phone or even another active PM SIM before returning to the original SIM.    I have no idea if the fix was due to the SIMs being swapped or not, but I'm sure it's not related to your daughter's phone being an IPhone.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

It is apple's 'feature'. You cannot disable it.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @bigscottydawg   I think this cannot be changed via regular iPhone settings.  But maybe this helps?

https://www.thetechfixr.com/how-to-hide-carrier-name-on-iphone/

Need Help? Let's chat.