cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international calling

martin8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just found out that international calling is not really international, only found out the hard way some selected countries.

Obviously most of my friends with a connection to the Netherlands, { holland } already know this, and thus do not have a phone plan with public mobile, because they also CAN NOT phone to the netherlands.

Thus as it looks like i have to switch to a different provider, unless Pm adds holland to the list of international phone countries, germany is in it, France is in it, heck even greece is in it, why not holland?

13 REPLIES 13

@martin8 wrote:

phone rates in Holland itself are amongst the lowest in whole western europe,

Thus it should be an competitive rate for PM to add.

@martin8   I don't think anyone would argue with you that Holland shouldn't be on PM's list of countries (and many other countries too) available for calling internationally.  Unfortunately, PM hasn't changed or added any new countries since I've been here, just over 2 years, and it's unlikely that they will add further countries to the list anytime soon.

Perhaps if enough customers were messaging moderators or Alan K or Catherine T, they may (sometime in the distant future), decide to take another look at the international calling list and decide to update it.  However, it's unlikely to be on their priority list unfortunately for you.  Sorry. 😊

martin8

Not so handy to making sure you have a long distance card with you all the time, in case you need it.

Regular landline, and cellular with data, i guess it's 50% / 50% in holland, on top

any business is 99%  regular landline.

Regular landline, there's no data, just voice and or fax, so this solution as where data is required does not cover it enough.

martin8

phone rates in Holland itself are amongst the lowest in whole western europe,

Thus it should be an competitive rate for PM to add.

martin8

looked at it, it's a heck of a deal, even a new phone with it, is extraordinary cheap, the problem however, it runs un 2G, unless you're on wifi of course, and being in Canada, that is not the best choice, 2G is slowly being phased out here in Canada, i know, because my GPS trackers i have, started missing locations, after investigating it turned out the trackers were running on 2G, had to replace all trackers with new ones on 3G.

Thus if you are mainly on wifi, yes really good, if you leave highly populated area's, you might find yourself without any connection.

Also phoning the Netherlands still comes at 4 canadian cents a minute

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

Textnow. Free calls to Canada/ USA

Checked mine and it says 3.3 cents per minute to the Netherlands. I believe usd.

Oh rats right I forgot. Thanks for keeping things straight.

Textnow. Free calls to Canada/ USA

Checked mine and it says 3.3 cents per minute to the Netherlands. I believe usd.

Screenshot_20200902_161836.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@martin8 wrote:

or both have to be on wifi, well that's not a phone....

This is a common mis-perception. Some voice over internet protocol (VOIP) apps are end to end. Some not.

TextNow is one that is not. It will call out to just about any number. Any number can call into it. There are others. The device running it needs to be on the internet of course...thus the IP part of the term.

@martin8 wrote:

the whole list, perfect for every one to see, Kudo's to it, but as stated, the Netherlands is not in it, and oh my gosh, there are so many people in Canada, with a connection to the Netherlands, Nearly all of them tell me, they can't get PM, because they can't phone to the Netherlands, unless indeed, long distance card { not so handy eh } or both have to be on wifi, well that's not a phone....

PM should look into getting the Netherlands on the list too

@martin8   Yeah, I'd agree it's doesn't make a lot of sense for Netherlands not to be on the LD list of countries that can be called.  I believe I've seen it be mentioned in some posts that it's to do with agreements/rates negotiated between the PM/other countries on that list.  Don't know for sure but I'm sure it's connected to trying to keep the LD rates reasonable.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@martin8  Lucky offers Netherlands 200 min for $5

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@martin8  maybe you can suggest it to them. (They do read these forums) but if you click the ? Question mark on bottom right you can open a ticket to the moderators via the chat bot or send them a private message at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

martin8

the whole list, perfect for every one to see, Kudo's to it, but as stated, the Netherlands is not in it, and oh my gosh, there are so many people in Canada, with a connection to the Netherlands, Nearly all of them tell me, they can't get PM, because they can't phone to the Netherlands, unless indeed, long distance card { not so handy eh } or both have to be on wifi, well that's not a phone....

PM should look into getting the Netherlands on the list too

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could purchase a long distance calling card or use Wi-Fi apps like Skype, WhatsApp, Textnow or Fongo.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

International minutes are supported for calls to the following countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

Need Help? Let's chat.