cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone keeps going to "No Service" message, then back. Really terrible connection ,,,

scaney
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ever since I bought a condo which is a Terrasse (really half basement) built with cement walls, not only do i get the above message on and off all day, but my phone NEVER rings anymore.  I wake up the screen to find I habe a new "missed" phone call and usually a message left.

I have an iPhone 6 running ios 10.2.1 which I can't even update because I can't keep an internet connection long enough to download the update!  Of course, that is the least of my problem, I'd rather receive phone calls.  I end up going outside to make any return phone calls.

Any suggestions to fix my problem (its lasted one year, only getting worse reception over time), or do I have to change providers?

Thanks in advance -

13 REPLIES 13

@skmkenn
Yeah it's probably network configuration to switch to 3G based on signal thresholds. These days, low band LTE is almost everywhere (B5 or B12/17). In Ile-Perrot, B5 LTE is deployed on the same radio as 3G, plus it has MIMO for increased coverage.

That's not boonies! You're pretty close to Montreal 🙂

Your only other choice would be Rogers or Videotron. They share the LTE radio access network in Quebec, and LTE coverage would be identical between them. I guess you can compare with a friend who is with those providers.

Other than that, Telus may expand microcell deployments. They currently have residential area deployments on the island of Montreal just north of you. No idea when this would happen in Ile-Perrot though.

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@scaney wrote:

YESSSS!  Thank you, I just made a call out.

Glad to hear you're able to use the service more reliably now @scaney. Hopefully this will also improve the reliability of incoming calls and sending/receiving text messages.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Smiley Happy

scaney

Ile Perrot, Quebec - I'm definitely out in the boonies LOL

skmkenn

@sheytoon wrote:
@skmkenn
Low band LTE is available in many places now and your statement is not necessarily correct any more.

See here for more info:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

@scaney
Where are you located? If your coverage is poor, there may only be one or two other providers that could be better for you.

While that is true and the situation regarding LTE coverage inside buildings has improved vastly over the past few years, depending on the area low band LTE may not yet be available or in some cases the phone may not select the correct band depending on how it's picking up the signal (this happens on one of my devices quite frequently). There are a lot variables to take into account when looking at signal quality issues such as line-of-sight, topology, etc.

scaney

Thank you, I will definitely buy one of these if the problem continues.  So happy just to see bars again 🙂

scaney

Yes I have tried both.  Especially powering off and on the iPhone- i usually do this when I haven't had any calls or texts for awhile.  Then I get a day or two's messages all at once.  Voicemails and texts.  

scaney

YESSSS!  Thank you, I just made a call out.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire
@skmkenn
Low band LTE is available in many places now and your statement is not necessarily correct any more.

See here for more info:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

@scaney
Where are you located? If your coverage is poor, there may only be one or two other providers that could be better for you.

skmkenn

If you still experience the same issue when using HSPA then you may need to look into purchasing a signal booster to improve the quality of the signal in your home. There are some options on Amazon.ca with the cheapest compatible option costing about $90.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01F4RPA4O/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b3giMcl_c_x_w/140-1032015-2525105?...

The next best option will also cover 1700 MHz frequencies which will give you a better signal, but it's more costly at $170:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0713PJ8MQ/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b3giMcl_c_x_w/140-1032015-2525105?...

scaney

Yes I have tried both.  Especially powering off and on the iPhone- i usually do this when I haven't had any calls or texts for awhile.  Then I get a day or two's messages all at once.  Voicemails and texts.  

skmkenn

When a phone call is made or received, the phone should automatically switch from LTE to 4G / HSPA however in areas where the signal is weak this switching tends to cause problems with calls automatically bouncing to voicemail without your phone actually ringing. 

The signal bands that LTE uses do not penetrate through certain building materials as well so you'll notice a weaker signal strength especially in your case. The 4G/HSPA network should provide you with a bit stronger signal. In this case, I would recommend disabling LTE on your phone so that it uses the HSPA network instead which should provide you with a more reliable signal.

To turn off LTE on an iPhone, navigate to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE and select Off.

Doing this may also help with your phone intermittently dropping to "No Service" since it should be able to hold onto the HSPA network signal more reliably.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Hi,

is it possible for you to try your sim in another unlocked phone and test it out in the same location?

have you tried doing a soft reset on your iPhone?

Need Help? Let's chat.