Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 not recognizing Public Wireless

nopatanswer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey there,

Brand new customer.

Had PM working on a Samsung phone.

Took out the SIM card and put it in an iPhone 4.

Doesn't seem to be working now.

Ideas?

35 REPLIES 35

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

Thanks for your solution on this. I'm not an Apple guy so I just throw anything Apple at that great thread. I was sure it talked about these things but I've just reviewed it and I see it doesn't. I'll refrain from doing so in the future.

Great to hear you got things going @nopatanswer.

I actually know next to nothing about iPhone devices.  Don't get me wrong; I could definitely figure out how to use one, probably without too much trouble.  I have played around with them before, but have never actually used one as my daily cellular device.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

Thanks for your solution on this. I'm not an Apple guy so I just throw anything Apple at that great thread. I was sure it talked about these things but I've just reviewed it and I see it doesn't. I'll refrain from doing so in the future.

Great to hear you got things going @nopatanswer.

@nopatanswer wrote:

SWEET! Connecting it to iTunes did it!

It took the phone through an activation process.

Thank you SOOO much for all you tried to help!!!

I think you owe me a beer. 

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Here is the link @Anonymous is speaking of:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight/true#M24563

I would suggest one thing at a time.  APN settings do nothing for @nopatanswer if the device says "no service".

Going into that further, an iPhone 4 would be using an older software version that does not allow device/sim activation by using either Wi-Fi or celluar data.  As such, setting up APN settings would not make the service start working until the other issues are first taken care of.

nopatanswer

SWEET! Connecting it to iTunes did it!

It took the phone through an activation process.

Thank you SOOO much for all you tried to help!!!

@nopatanswer wrote:

When connecting to iTunes, I got a message that said "The iPhone "___" failed to activiate. Please try again later.

I would have iTunes do a factory reset while the phone is still connected to your computer.  Remember that you need to first back up any files that you want to keep because this will erase all user content/files on the device.  The reason for this step is because for an iPhone 4, a restore is first required before the unlock will take effect if you have never done that before.  iTunes will then say something such as "Congratualations. Your iPhone is now unlocked" or something similar to that. 

Do you have wifi where you are? Is it connected?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nopatanswer wrote:

So I'm checking out that Apple thread you sent.

When I do their first suggestion, toggling off Airplane mode and then back on, I get a SIM Failure message that pops up, and then an Invalid SIM in the upper left corner.

Way back at the top of your thread, there's a post from user Dunkman that has a link to the best Apple reference here. Do some reading in there. It's a bit spread out and goes into great detail so get comfortable. You do after all have a rather older phone. It's not the Public Mobile service that is having the problem as you know.

@nopatanswer wrote:

When I do their first suggestion, toggling off Airplane mode and then back on, I get a SIM Failure message that pops up, and then an Invalid SIM in the upper left corner.

Have you connected to iTunes yet?  Even if unlocked, iPhone devices of this generation do not simply work after switching the sim card.  It has to be activated in iTunes before it's allowed to be used.  This is becaue the phone needs to checked by Apple whether a Public Mobile sim card is allowed to be used in that phone.  No Service is the type of thing that one of these devices says if the iTunes activation process hasn't been performed.

nopatanswer

When connecting to iTunes, I got a message that said "The iPhone "___" failed to activiate. Please try again later.

nopatanswer

Reboot after each step is the best policy, I think.

nopatanswer

Thanks. I'll take a look, I just tried Reset Network Settings, but it still says No Service.

nopatanswer

Yes, it was working in a previous phone earlier tonight

If you haven't given up yet, here's a few things to try from Apple themselves.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5133644

@nopatanswer wrote:

Yes, it is unlocked, and I tried a network reset. The Screen says "No Service". I also tried powering off and back on and reinserting the SIM card. No luck.

I would try connecting phone with a USB cable and running iTunes.  What message comes up on the screen when you do that?  Either way, iPhone devices need to connect to an Apple server to check unlock status. iPhone 4, running a relatively old version of iOS, I believe still requires iTunes for that device activation.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@nopatanswer  Most Public Mobile data uses LTE, when it says 3G it's usually actually throddled LTE, so there is less actual 3G coverage. Depending on where you live you may have trouble getting a signal.

No, you need to remedy the No Service Situation, but if you can do that, your phone is capable, although it may have other issues.

If you look through the thread, I think a phone reset was mentioned.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@nopatanswer Can you verify the SIM is still working by putting it back into your other phone and try calling out?

brennanleblanc_
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@nopatanswer 

Could it be possible the iPhone 4 is still locked to the previous carrier?

nopatanswer

So are you saying that even though it says "No Service" on the home screen, that it still might work if I go to an area with 3G coverage?

@nopatanswer 

That model should work with PM.  

Have you tried another mobile company SIM card in this iphone 4 recently?  To determine whether the device works in general.

Maybe factory reset?

Select Settings.

Select Cellular.

To enable 3G, set Enable 3G to ON

Try this and then restart your phone.

brennanleblanc_
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@nopatanswer wrote:

It is Model A1332 EMC 380B

So your phone should be compatible with Public Mobile's 3G bands, but not the 4G/LTE.

It might depend on if you have a good 3G reception in your area.

nopatanswer

It is Model A1332 EMC 380B

Is it A1332 GSM?

No not necessarily, did you look at the back of the phone for the model number?

nopatanswer

Thank you.

Does this mean that the phone won't work on PM?

Forgive my ignorance.

It's willmyphonework.net.

This is what it says:

iphone4.PNG

Identify APPLE model #:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdLR1qPZ5Y

Need Help? Let's chat.