cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 14 and 15

Mhon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I was at the apple store, a Genius tried to upsell to me because he noticed I have an iPhone X.

when he asked me who’s my carrier, he walked away when I said PUBLIC MOBILE.

I continued my store-browsing and saw a poster that listed a fee mobile service providers like Bell, Rogers, Fido, Virgin but no PUBLIC MOBILE.

the message of the poster is that if I buy an Apple iPhone 14 with any of the carriers listed, the hardware would be compatible.

it didn’t explicitly say the iPhone won’t work with PUBLIC MOBILE, but those 2 points I stated above makes me wonder.

i am planning to get an iPhone 15 Pro Mac when it gets released and i was simply planning to eject my PUBLIC MOBILE SIM CARD from the XR to the 15.

i am now questioning this move.

will I still be able to keep my PUBLIC MOBILE account, SIM, subscription plan and phone number when I upgrade my iPhone?

thanks in advance for your help.

11 REPLIES 11

Tomkinda

the iPhone 15 in Canada might nor have a slot to fit physical sim.. although still incomplete and not ready- public is slowly implementing eSIM support now that we are getting closer to the 15 release. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mhon , just make sure your new iPhone comes with a SIM card slot.  American iPhone 14 no longer have SIM card slot, e-SIM only.  Public Mobile e-SIM rollout is incomplete.  

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mhon , the only possible snag could be if the iPhone 15 is released in Canada without a physical SIM card slot, like the iPhone 14 in USA last year.  If Apple decides to release the iPhone 15 in Canada without a SIM card slot (just 2 eSIM slots), then you wouldn’t be able to move your SIM card from your X to the 15.  Current PM customers are not able to migrate from physical SIM to eSIM just yet, but maybe it will be possible once the iPhone 15 comes out in Sept./Oct.

RoseC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes, your new iPhone will work on PM. And, you will be able to keep your PUBLIC MOBILE account, SIM, subscription plan and phone number when you upgrade your iPhone. 

Be careful when you pop out your SIM because it can come out flying. 

@Mhon , I am on the same $15 3G Speed Data subscription plan as before! Only change to a different one if you want/need to.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Mhon wrote:

Thanks to all the helpful neighbors here in the community! I appreciate you all, Thank you! 

added question:

- how do I know if my account is 3G, 4G or 5G?

- if i am currently at a lower G, will my accoubt be automatically become 5G when i use the iPhone 14 or 15?

- or, wull the new phone just use 3g?

- do i need an account or subscription change to use the new iphones?

Thank you! 

@Mhon new iphones will work with all 3G, 4G and 5G plans with Public Mobile.

You will receive 3G, 4G and 5G depending on which plan you choose here. Plans are easy to change, so pick one, try it, and if you want to change it for next cycle than go for it and try another.

Mhon

Thanks to all the helpful neighbors here in the community! I appreciate you all, Thank you! 

added question:

- how do I know if my account is 3G, 4G or 5G?

- if i am currently at a lower G, will my accoubt be automatically become 5G when i use the iPhone 14 or 15?

- or, wull the new phone just use 3g?

- do i need an account or subscription change to use the new iphones?

Thank you! 

dwh1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Mhon wrote:

will I still be able to keep my PUBLIC MOBILE account, SIM, subscription plan and phone number when I upgrade my iPhone

I have an IPhone 14 Pro and it works just fine. As others have said, Public mobile uses the Bell-Telus network and will have the same phone compatibility that those carriers do.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Mhon , I’m a Customer here of Public Mobile since 2019 & I used my SIM Card from my iPhone 6S to my new iPhone 14 Pro recently with no issues! I can’t imagine the iPhone 15 Pro being any issue but I’m not a Tech so I can’t provide advise on it sorry! I also use the same SIM Card in my basic ZTE Flip phone!

Edit: To add, I am using the same SIM Card, on the same subscription plan ($15 3G Speed Data Plan) using the same phone number as before.

There’s no Telus towers where I live so it is using the Bell towers for my Public Mobile service.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Mhon 

No need to question the move. iPhones work with Public mobile.  Public mobile uses the Telus/Bell network.  With 4G and even 5G network, your experience with iPhones would be fine.  

It may be possible that the Apple agent did not know much about Public mobile or might even wanted to upsell you the new Iphone with one of the other carriers (device plan?).  The other tier 3 mobile companies like Chatr and Lucky mobile probably was not advertised on the posters also. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Mhon all new iPhones work on all Canadian carrier.  Especially Public is using Telus infrastructure, so there is no difference using it on Telus or Public Mobile.  I am not sure 8f the Apple rep makes any money to sell to those Tier 1 and 2 providers

Or maybe he just thinks people using tier 3 are cheap and hence not willing to spend time with you

Need Help? Let's chat.