cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

doesn't $25 plan have unlimited data

ninepic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

unlimited data on $25 plan starting from 3G right?

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@devraj5698 wrote:

@cavemantoronto It does result in 500 mb extra as opposed to choosing not to autopay.

Officially yes. But all these plans are pretty much hard-coded to include the total amount of data. But do try it out as suggested. 🙂

@devraj5698 Nope. Remove autopay and report back.

devraj5698
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@cavemantoronto It does result in 500 mb extra as opposed to choosing not to autopay.

@devraj5698 Autopay doesn't give more data.

devraj5698

Unfortunately Public Mobile has not yet released such a plan and if it ever does, I don't think they will offer it for $25, it will definately be more. But that being said if you are a frequent user of data, I would suggest to upgrade your plan with autopay so that you will receive 500mb more!

@alexbel 

Have you enabled all of your data saver tools? Data warning, data limiter, turned off WiFi assist and turned off all off your background data  in your apps? You can save up to 25% of your usage by employing these techniques.

alexbel

That's awesome! Thanks!

@alexbel wrote:

Pages did not load. GPS did not work. Was pretty frustrating to find out that way what "unlimited data" meant. But true, something is better than nothing. Email did work, while it wouldn't with Public, if you run out of your monthly data. Do you know if that 5 gig bonus data I got will ever expire? I don't normally run out of my monthly data, so if only use the bonus data ever so often, it should keep rolling over for a long time if it has no expiry.

Add-ons, other than 10 day roaming add-ons, are never removed from the account unless you finish using the included usage up or if the account gets closed.

alexbel

Pages did not load. GPS did not work. Was pretty frustrating to find out that way what "unlimited data" meant. But true, something is better than nothing. Email did work, while it wouldn't with Public, if you run out of your monthly data. Do you know if that 5 gig bonus data I got will ever expire? I don't normally run out of my monthly data, so if only use the bonus data ever so often, it should keep rolling over for a long time if it has no expiry.

@alexbel wrote:

Unfortunately Public Mobile doesn't have an offer like that. My gf has one of those Lucky Mobile $25 unlimited data plans. That's actually what attracted her to Lucky. She was going to join me at Public initially.

The excitement only lasted until she ran out of that gig of data one month. Past the one gig, it throttles to incredibly slow speed. The only thing that works is email. Pages in browser don't open, maps don't work. So its unlimited, but useless, unless all you do is check your email. I'd rather get my loyalty rewards with Public and top up with extra data that actually works if needed. Sometimes Public gives you free one-time bonus data out of the blue too. Got 5 gigs a couple of months ago and and only used like 250mb so far and it seems to be rolling over from month to month.

Slow data is still better than no data. A 256Kbps speed is more than enough to load webpages or even stream audio. And, even if only e-mail works, that's still better than nothing because it would allow for 2FA messages to be received by e-mail.  The free add-ons that are for increasing a sense of customer loyalty don't happen all that often, but customers do appreciate them.  In any event, the reward discounts are the main reason that people are likely to be with Public Mobile, or at least remain with Public Mobile.

alexbel

Unfortunately Public Mobile doesn't have an offer like that. My gf has one of those Lucky Mobile $25 unlimited data plans. That's actually what attracted her to Lucky. She was going to join me at Public initially.

The excitement only lasted until she ran out of that gig of data one month. Past the one gig, it throttles to incredibly slow speed. The only thing that works is email. Pages in browser don't open, maps don't work. So its unlimited, but useless, unless all you do is check your email. I'd rather get my loyalty rewards with Public and top up with extra data that actually works if needed. Sometimes Public gives you free one-time bonus data out of the blue too. Got 5 gigs a couple of months ago and and only used like 250mb so far and it seems to be rolling over from month to month.

@MizC wrote:

Back when I signed up, before Public was taken over by Telus. There was free data, unlimited.

Sadly it stopped, I was told people abused it too much. I think it was just a requirement of Telus to stop offering it.

At least I got to enjoy it for a few months.

Canada really needs to be like so many other countries where data is free, or you get data cards for cheap that work all around like in Europe.

There being no unlimtied data here isn't a thing about us being in Canada. I would say that most Canadian carriers are offering unlimited data (at reduced speeds), including Public Mobile's main competitors Lucky Mobile and Chatr Wireless. There being no unlimited data is a Public Mobile thing, sadly.

MizC

Back when I signed up, before Public was taken over by Telus. There was free data, unlimited.

Sadly it stopped, I was told people abused it too much. I think it was just a requirement of Telus to stop offering it.

At least I got to enjoy it for a few months.

Canada really needs to be like so many other countries where data is free, or you get data cards for cheap that work all around like in Europe.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ninepic 

I wish it had unlimited data, but it doesn’t. if you run out of data you can buy an addon with rollover unused portions.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @ninepic ,

Sorry, $25 for 1GB (with autopay).

Are you thinking maybe of the 3GB bonus given as a 1-time promo?

esjliv_0-1603994798794.png

If so, this promo 3GB data kicks in once you deplete your PLAN data. Upon renewal of your account, your plan data fills up and again, and it gets used up first.

So the 3GB add on could be with you for a while if you never use up your PLAN data [in the $25 senario (1GB) ].

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

None of the PM plans have unlimited data.  PM uses the same towers as Telus and Bell but the speeds get throttled to 3G.  For most daily use you won't notice a difference unless you stream 4k video or high quality music then you might experience buffering.

@ninepic  No plans at Public Mobile have unlimited data.  You might be thinking of other companies that have super slow unlimited data after normal data is used up. Public Mobile does not offer this.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@ninepic wrote:

unlimited data on $25 plan starting from 3G right?

The current $25 plan has 1 GB of data (with autopay). Not unlimited.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/25for500MB-3Gspeed

Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors

Need Help? Let's chat.