cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do i need US roaming when I already have a canada-US plan?

edge12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

9 REPLIES 9

edge12

@dust2dust text message uses "need". It is worded exactly like in my post in quotes.

@edge12- Unless the wording has changed, it doesn't say "need". It's an offer/suggestion. The wording I last saw was "You can get a".

@edge12  That was a generic message coming thru your phone when it recognized you crossing the border . Best to submit Ticket with support to see if the can compensate you for it 

send a  private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

edge12

i thought i was buying a Canada/US plan where I can talk and use data in US same way as in Canada. When I tried using for first time, why would Public mobile, send me a text stating " You will need a US roaming add-on to use your phone". So i paid extra $15 to add roaming which seems unnecesssary now, after reading messages here. Unfortunately, I had to make that decision right away since I had to make a call. Now, i want a refund if I can get one

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ileefarrell wrote:

As @Handy1 said, it is better to turn on the 'Data Roaming' on your device while you are in the US.

I am not aware how to do it on other Android phones and iPhone, so maybe someone else might help.

I'd go further - if you don't turn on data roaming while in the US, you won't have working data.  The purpose of the setting is really to stop you from unintended costs - for example, my old Koodo plan had data roaming included but at a cost of $12 a day, triggered but the first use of data while in the US. If I intended to not use data to save the money, the only way to avoid it would be to either keep data turned off in general - workable but prone to error on my part - or have data roaming disabled.  There's no need to worry about that in this case.

On an iPhone, the settings is in Settings/Cellular/Data Roaming.  Note that it's only visible if data is turned on.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Well… When you purchased the Canada US plan what did you think you were getting?

Just curious, because some presume it gives them things it may not.

ileefarrell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No, you do not need a separate plan.

As @Handy1 said, it is better to turn on the 'Data Roaming' on your device while you are in the US.

Here is how to do it on Samsung devices:

Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Data Roaming.

I am not aware how to do it on other Android phones and iPhone, so maybe someone else might help.

Savage
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@edge12  That’s the whole point of the Canada US plan , roaming is built into plan itself no need for roaming add on 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@edge12  .no you don’t your CAN /US  plan has roaming in it already just make sure you have data roaming turned on in phone settings when your in the US 

Need Help? Let's chat.