cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage

meganbyer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently switched to public mobile, and I am wondering how to see my data usage. I got a text that 75% of my data had been used which I thought was weird because I have 5GB and have never used that much. When I go onto my account I can only see the amount of promotional data (2G total) that I have used, and how much is left. 

I also have 3GB that come with the plan but I couldn't find anywhere that I have used the whole 3GB of thaat already so Im just curious where I could find that or if it goes away once it has been used up and only shows what is remaining? 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@meganbyer wrote:

I recently switched to public mobile, and I am wondering how to see my data usage. I got a text that 75% of my data had been used which I thought was weird because I have 5GB and have never used that much. When I go onto my account I can only see the amount of promotional data (2G total) that I have used, and how much is left. 

I also have 3GB that come with the plan but I couldn't find anywhere that I have used the whole 3GB of thaat already so Im just curious where I could find that or if it goes away once it has been used up and only shows what is remaining? 

Thanks

@meganbyer , found here on your Self Serve account.

esjliv_0-1601935725902.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@meganbyer 

Go to the your daily usage logs ( the usage button at the top of your overview page under "my plan and add ons" under the "change plan" button. Here you can go back and check your usage. Data is reported in two 12 hour blocks daily so there is a delay with reporting but it will match fairly closely.

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@meganbyer when you login your self-service account, your data would be shown under My Data & Add-Ons. If you don't see your data there, that means you used it up for your current 30-day cycle, and you have to buy data addon if you need extra data before your cycle re-starts.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@meganbyer  Any chance you ran speed test when you first join?  speed testing could use a bit of data depends on the site or app you used and how many times you ran

Are you on Android?  If so, you can go to  Data usage on the setting, change the cycle start date to the date of the current cycle (if you first join and within a month, it will be your date of activation) , then will see how much data was gone since that day and who is the "data killer"

Android-DataLimit.png

** also a reminder.. PM runs on 30 days cycle and NOT Monthly.  So, it will have a different start date of each month and that might affect your data usage a bit

Try to install a 3rd part app that can automatically track 30 days cycle (don't rely on  system built-in app as they only track monthly)

for andorid: Data Witness PM, Data Counter Widget

for iOS: My Data Manager

Anonymous
Not applicable

@meganbyer 

Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here  for more information

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@meganbyer 

If the data is not listed under My Data & Add-Ons in self service it has been consumed for this cycle. Look under under View My Usage to see when and how much was used.

Need Help? Let's chat.