cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data leakage

marq
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have  pixel 2xl phone and even though I shut off my data and my wifi I still get emails (gmail) coming into the phone using up data. does anybody know how to stop this leakage ? Regards

4 REPLIES 4

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@marq 

If data is shown around midnight and noon. This is PM update your usage so this is normal and no worries.

Another option is to enable Airplane mode and this disable cellular data but will connect to wifi when not needed.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If your “switch to data automatically” setting is on, go turn it off. Guide here:

https://mobilesupport.telstra.com.au/google/pixel-2-android-8-0/data-wireless/turn-automatic-use-of-... 

Btw, you can keep wifi on all the time, there is no negatives in doing so.

Also, email syncing does not use a lot of data because larger contents are downloaded only when you go to actually open each email. Monitor data usage in your self-serve account to confirm if leaks really are happening.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@marq   how you "shut off" your data?

I am not sure if Pixel 2XL has Wifi Assist yet, but you might want to check it and turn it off

How do I turn off Wi-Fi assist on Google pixels?

Choose Wi-Fi preferences. Choose Advanced. Disable Switch to mobile data automatically. Wi-Fi Assist is disabled.

And, you might want to turn on Data Saver to avoid background download for all apps
  1. Go to Settings > Network & internet > Data Saver.

@marq wrote:

I have  pixel 2xl phone and even though I shut off my data and my wifi I still get emails (gmail) coming into the phone using up data. does anybody know how to stop this leakage ? Regards

In your device settings, there's an option to disable mobile data, although you will need to turn it back on to use it again or if you wish to send or receive MMS messages.

Need Help? Let's chat.