cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constantly locked out of account

PMIsAnnoying
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello I have been with public mobile for the last eight years. I stayed because of the grandfather awards. However, over the eight years public mobile consistently locked me out of my account whereby my password does not work. I do not have this issue in any other context. Social media passwords work. Bank passwords work. Work passwords work. School passwords work. It's only public mobile. 

My bank card that is supposed to be charged monthly by public. Mobile has expired and public mobile has cut off my service. In order to get a new password, like I usually do, public mobile, requires that receive an authentication text with service that I do not have. This seems like a roundabout way of breaching the contract so that I can't redeem my grandfather awards. I am not near any place that sells public mobile vouchers, and I cannot find a  way to buy a public mobile vocuher online.

36 REPLIES 36

Yes recharge. I did not pick up from your previous posts that you had used that option. I had thought you used the number option and of course did not receive it. Sorry if I had missed that detail. When I say number option I mean entering your number in the first part of the recharge site. The email option doesn't need the number.

As for the account, it's what we're trying to work around for you by re-gaining access to your account. Seems support doesn't believe you so we need to get you re-activated somehow else so you at least have phone service back.

PMIsAnnoying

Which email option? The email option for recharge? I did choose that, but I can't make the transaction. The email option for public mobile doesn't work. It wants me to confirm with a text first. I think they should be well aware that people are using the cards for online purchasing as well. I'm not sure why their security is so tight but it's never caused more than an hour worth of a barrier. This public mobile barrier has lasted a few days.

I continue to be puzzled why you don't seem to be using the email option that I mentioned. Unless you did and you're haven't confirmed that fact. Oh well.

When you try the other phone number to receive the voucher, make sure the screens don't say Telus. You want to be sure it says Public everywhere. Then after that if they include instructions on how to enter and if it says something like #123 and does not mention 611  then that's looking like the wrong voucher. Try it anyway. But it might not work if they gave you the wrong instructions.

Adding - Unless you're intentionally protecting your credit/debit card, in this day and age they should be well aware that people use the cards for online purchasing. I would also suggest getting a prepaid type card where you control the balance. Then if a fraud does happen then your exposure is limited to that balance. Not your entire credit limit or bank balance.

PMIsAnnoying

My bank doesn't believe it's me making the transaction. They sent me a fraud attempt to email. Which isn't uncommon but they are available by person and in phone unlike public mobile. Last week I tried to put online order and my bank blocked it, when I called them, they completed the transaction. No problem. I don't normally purchases like this. I usually make online purchases from the same merchants. 

I'll have to wait for my neighbour to return so I can use her phone.

Well that's some good news. What do you know...customer service. 🙂 Now with that money back, try it again but don't enter your number. Then use your email in the payment screen.

Go to site, Start recharge button, choose Public, find amount, click Buy now of that amount, type in email address, continue to payment, select payment method (like visa), continue to payment, enter billing name/address, enter card details.

Then dial 611 and listen to the recording and choose entering a voucher then enter the voucher code from the email.

If you like. 🙂

PMIsAnnoying

Recharge got back to me and refunded me right away. It's possible the transaction didn't go through completely like you said. But it appears as a debit and then a credit the following day in my debit account. 

Again, did you choose the email option in recharge.com without entering a phone number? Or, alternatively, with this or the other services, use a different number altogether to send the text to. But you need to be sure to select Public Mobile. The text will have the voucher code in it. Then you use 611 on your phone to enter it. Unfortunately, recharge.com identifies my number as Telus. Which it kind of is. But it's not. I have tried other Telus vouchers and they don't work. I have tried one online vendor that ended up giving me a Telus voucher and it doesn't work. Which again is why I prefer the email method through recharge.com.

Or get out to a Mobil gas station and use the real time payments option.

@PMIsAnnoying  Wow really , that’s disturbing. It makes no sense.I’m sorry for your troubles .truly I am . This could be anyone one of us 😞

PMIsAnnoying

Update: I filed CCTS complaint. Public mobile states they are unable to verify me. 

PMIsAnnoying

in my visa there is 8 pending charges for online phone vouchers yes. those wont go through. i assume due to visa securities. 

PMIsAnnoying

I haven't gotten any email and I'm not sure pending charge is possible with debit. I've never seen it. Just a few weeks ago instacart charged me a random number instead of refunding me. the receipt they emailed me didn't match up with my bank records and it still doesn't. Visa is better. but visa debit is just a debit.

If you haven't got the email yet then maybe it's actually just a pending charge and not an actual charge. That's if you in fact did do the email option as I suggested. If you entered your number then it will send the sms which you wouldn't get.

lol I just tried entering my number in recharge and it got Telus plastered all over. Uh, no.

Recharge is not Public by the way.

My bank has a multiple verification system. If it needs to then fine send me an sms. But if I'm out of country or range but can connect to a wifi then I can choose a voice option which goes to a voip app number.

PMIsAnnoying

I tried ding, but my bank sent me a text asking me to confirm the transaction thinking it was suspicious. In fairness, I haven't ever thought some thing like this before. I can receive the text, but can't respond.

@PMIsAnnoying  I’m sorry you’re having such issues . I don’t know what else to suggest now at this point other than waiting for support to help . Best of luck 

PMIsAnnoying

Yes, spam is checked. When I tried to check out it in recharge using the visa debit it gave me an error message but I checked my debit account app and there definitely is a charge there.

I'm so disappointed with public mobile.

@PMIsAnnoying  And you checked spam folder , I’m guessing . 

So you chose the email option like I described? Or was that the earlier mention of using recharge? Good to know Visa Debit worked. I tried recharge a few years ago and the email came somewhat quickly. That might have been before a phone option. I see muskbird and ding seem to only offer the phone option. And of course that phone can be any cell phone. As can recharge. But I prefer the email way.

PMIsAnnoying

Recharge charged my visa debit. I see the transaction in my bank app. But there's no payment voucher sent to my email. Their website says to wait 24 hours before requesting a refund.

PMIsAnnoying

Sorry, I meant to write visa and visa debit. Visa debit only exists for the purpose of making online transactions with a debit card but it's not a Visa card as far as I can understand.

I tried making a PayPal, but it wanted me to import a number that I could receive a text message at. I suppose I could get one of those fake temp free numbers, but then I would be concerned about it being linked to my PayPal.

I couldn't find mention of Visa Debit. Visa yes. I'm not sure Visa looks at them as the same. Do you have a Paypal account?

Good that you've begun contact with support. That test.com is rather odd. This new system has had no end of trouble. It's quite ridiculous.

Adding - regulars would say it's all fine. When it's not, and we know it. Most of everything works fine for me on multiple accounts. But sometimes not. It's just that we see everybody else coming here reporting all the problems they're having and so we come to know that there continues to be problems for many people.

PMIsAnnoying

I tried that. Just get stuck in the same catch 22. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. The idea of public mobile is such a great concept but in reality, it really isn't great.

@PMIsAnnoying - try the "Forgot your email" option and see if that takes you to proper steps.

edit, or wait, that may not work with being suspended currently. Very weird, BTW about the @test email.

@dust2dust wrote:

@esjliv- Because getting into the account has become a hassle for too many people. So the voucher or real time payments gets them going sooner than waiting for support and answering all the verification questions.

But your right, if they know their 4 digit account pin then they can use the registered card. But this OP needs the card updated so they can't use that option.

@dust2dust I understand the hassles. I understand other methods of payments 'may' get them going; but I don't believe it is always quicker. And sometimes, could also be more of a hassle for some customers. jmho

PMIsAnnoying

Thanks, I messaged them an hour ago. Waiting for a response.

@PMIsAnnoying  Please get support to straighten this out right away 

private message   To CS_Agents click    

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

PMIsAnnoying

PMIsAnnoying_0-1687556040167.jpeg

I tried the recharge, declined both my Visa debit and debit. Normally I would call my bank so they can make the transaction happen but I need service for that. See the attached picture of me trying to get a code from public mobile. I entered my email, but the page is showing that they're sending it to some email that ends in " @Test.com. ". 

Makes no sense to me. I've been really patient with public mobile over the years because I love that there are an online only self service service but if you're going to be an online only self-serve service than they should be more on top of their online maintenance.

At recharge.com? Or here in your account? Did you complete the purchase of the voucher at recharge? I might suggest trying again and not typing in your number. But of course that means paying again. After you get reactivated you'll get that text and you can use the voucher at that time for your next renewal. Click Public Mobile without entering a number, select a value by clicking on its buy now button - that will take you to a screen that lets you enter an email address.

Then you get the voucher in your email. Then you dial 611 and enter it in. Then your account will reactivate (assuming you made your balance cover your plan cost). Then you can use the sms option at your leisure.

@esjliv- Because getting into the account has become a hassle for too many people. So the voucher or real time payments gets them going sooner than waiting for support and answering all the verification questions.

But your right, if they know their 4 digit account pin then they can use the registered card. But this OP needs the card updated so they can't use that option.

@PMIsAnnoying wrote:
" Please enter a valid email address registered to your account. "

This is the error message I get. I have emails from public mobile to that email yet it thinks the email isn't valid. 

You are right @PMIsAnnoying. Do you see what I did there... ?

Anyhow, I see NO reason why any customer should obtain vouchers or do online top ups with service charges when they have perfectly good credit or debit cards to use. This does not make sense to me, and it never has. Public Mobile needs to make this right for card holders.

Did you use the link provided by @Handy1 to submit a ticket to customer support? If not, do this and get it sorted with them today hopefully.

PMIsAnnoying
" Please enter a valid email address registered to your account. "

This is the error message I get. I have emails from public mobile to that email yet it thinks the email isn't valid. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

There is also muskbird and ding and a couple others. Are you sure there isn't an email option? Then you can dial 611 to enter the voucher code. If you're near something like a Mobil gas station then you can also use the real time payments method.

Adding - yeah there is. Don't type in a phone number. Just select the amount and buy now. Then you'll see the email option.

Need Help? Let's chat.