cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change 3g to 5g

poohbear905
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello all , My wife has a motto g phone, she has 3g, i would like to change it to 5g, i checked her network settings and it only show Lte and 3g.My question is, do i need a new sim card? or when i subscribe to 5g will it automatically change to 5g, ant input would be appreciated. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@poohbear905 

If your wife has the Moto G Play then it won’t work because it only 3G and 4G/LTE but if it is a Moto G 5G Stylus then you can connect to 5G.

In this case, all you need to do is to switch to a 5G plan and set the cellular settings on Moto to 5G or leave it on Automatic.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@poohbear905   

All those 3G/4G/5G plan are just speed

If your Moto G does not have 5G , you can still use it to access PM's 5G plan.  Just make sure your network is set to 4G or LTE or Automatic

In terms of the speed, if you have the 5G plan (5G speed plan to be precise), you will be connecting at a higher speed than the 4G speed plans give you.  So, instead of 100Mbps on 4G speed plan, you likely can get up to 150Mbps

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

All plans have 5G access, even the so called "3G" plans. If the Moto phone isn't showing 5G now, it is because of the phone software and changing to a "5G" plan won't make a difference other than peak speeds.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You do not need new SIM to change to 5G.

Even if you change to 5G your phone might show only LTE. Only way to confirm 5G is looking at your account and doing speed test before and after change.

Need Help? Let's chat.