cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 4

troyfy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can't seem to get data working with my Zenfone 4, has anyone else had this issue?

17 REPLIES 17

JohnSmith1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had a similar problem on Zenfone 5z. Essentially the APN settings were deficient and the interface to edit them was not accessible in the version of the OS provided.

The problem fixed itself when you updated to android10, because the update brought with it updated APN settings specifically for the PM network. That fix came out about november or december 2019 iirc.

@troyfy wrote:

I added the APN settings for my Zenfone 4 and now everything works. I have been wondering though: why aren't these setting in the sim card? The sim has Koodo and Telus settings which did not work, why not just have the Public Mobile settings as the default? Is this just an issue with my Zenfone 4, or will everyone's phone that I set up have the same problem? It seems silly to have to have 2 APN profiles that work, and not have the one that does!

APN settings are not and cannot be saved to the sim card.  It is up to the device manufactuer to have the APN settings correctly programmed into the device's software.  In situations in which there is no matching settings saved within the phone's software for Public Mobile, that's when it becomes necessary to manually input the settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hycm53 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

Well, I didn’t try the ways you said, since it's more complicated for me, and I don't want my phone is bricked. So the simple way for me is to install an app. 

Ok then I'm confused. 🙂 I thought that redflagdeals thing was using all those functions. So what app did you use to be able to set the APN? And where did you get it?

The app I used calls MyNewAPN(Version 1.0, 9.05 mb)came from the link I posted above. From that thread there's a link to the app, but that link is no longer existed. I would like post app right here, so can help someone if they have this problem, but I don't know how.

The author has provided it up on another site.

(from that same thread)

MyNewAPN_test

So I see now. Just download it and install it. Needs a little intervention here and there but apparently it works.

Maybe somebody or others dog could try this on their Umidigi.

@Anonymous wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

Well, I didn’t try the ways you said, since it's more complicated for me, and I don't want my phone is bricked. So the simple way for me is to install an app. 

Ok then I'm confused. 🙂 I thought that redflagdeals thing was using all those functions. So what app did you use to be able to set the APN? And where did you get it?

The app I used calls MyNewAPN(Version 1.0, 9.05 mb)came from the link I posted above. From that thread there's a link to the app, but that link is no longer existed. I would like post app right here, so can help someone if they have this problem, but I don't know how.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hycm53 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

I don’t think it’s the problem from PM’s SIM card. Because my son’s iPhone didn’t need to reset APN, only click “yes”, and everything is done. I have Asus Zonefone 4 Max, and I have to installed app to add New APN making it works. Therefore I think it’s cell phone’s problem.

@hycm53 

So you were successful with the app.

I'd be interested to know (and maybe other and future readers) if you were already comfortable with doing those kinds of procedures or, if not, then was is it reasonable enough to follow?

Asus Zonefone 4 Max doesn’t allow to edit APN nor to add APN. I searched PM community and there’s a link to app. But now that link is no longer exists. And there’s another way to edit or add APN on that link, but I didn’t try it.  After installed app, enerything is fine. I would like post this app right here, but forum doesn’t allow to. Here’s the link:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708

Good of you to re-post the link.

I was more asking if you were already fine with doing those kinds of things on your phone. Debug mode, ADB, sideloading APK's etc.

I ask because maybe some people would not be fine doing those kinds of things on their phones. So I wondered if all of that was easy enough to follow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hycm53 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

I don’t think it’s the problem from PM’s SIM card. Because my son’s iPhone didn’t need to reset APN, only click “yes”, and everything is done. I have Asus Zonefone 4 Max, and I have to installed app to add New APN making it works. Therefore I think it’s cell phone’s problem.

@hycm53 

I'd be interested to know (and maybe other and future readers) if you were already comfortable with doing those kinds of procedures or, if not, then was is it reasonable enough to follow?

Asus Zonefone 4 Max doesn’t allow to edit APN nor to add APN. I searched PM community and there’s a link to app. But now that link is no longer exists. And there’s another way to edit or add APN on that link, but I didn’t try it.  After installed app, enerything is fine. I would like post this app right here, but forum doesn’t allow to. Here’s the link:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708

Good of you to re-post the link.

I was more asking if you were already fine with doing those kinds of things on your phone. Debug mode, ADB, sideloading APK's etc.

I ask because maybe some people would not be fine doing those kinds of things on their phones. So I wondered if all of that was easy enough to follow.

@Anonymous wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@hycm53 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hycm53 wrote:

@hycm53 

@troyfy wrote:

I added the APN settings for my Zenfone 4 and now everything works. I have been wondering though: why aren't these setting in the sim card? The sim has Koodo and Telus settings which did not work, why not just have the Public Mobile settings as the default? Is this just an issue with my Zenfone 4, or will everyone's phone that I set up have the same problem? It seems silly to have to have 2 APN profiles that work, and not have the one that does!

troyfy

troyfy

Thanks everyone, This community is awesome! Faster responses than calling a call center, and people are actually knowledgeable!!

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@troyfy wrote:

I can't seem to get data working with my Zenfone 4, has anyone else had this issue?

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile you can find APN settings here.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@troyfy wrote:

You have to install an app “MyNewAPN_test.apk because Zonefone 4 doesn’t allow to edit APN neither add APN. Since community doesn't allow upload app, so I can't post it right here. This app worked for Asus Zonefone 4 Max that I'm using right now.

troyfy

I've tried the Telus and the koodo settings

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@troyfy wrote:

Likely an APN issue with Android 8.1...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/No-longer-have-Public-mobile-APN-on-my-As...

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@troyfy  are your APN settings correct?

Need Help? Let's chat.