cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless resources calculator

BAL
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi! Maybe I did not look long enough but I did not see a wireless calculator to estimate the consumption of resources on a monthly basis. In my case, I would be especially interested in a data calculator that would estimate how many GB it would consume if I do x number of web pages or if I do y GB if I download a video of n minutes. That would be great to see how much data I need for my wireless data habits or needs. Thanks.

41 REPLIES 41

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The honour is all mine, @Martin

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi @srlawren,

It gives me considerable relief and joy, after reading your posts referencing Bob and Sue, that you accept the fact that they exist. It's been a long time in the making! Now that you know that they are real, I foresee only progress ahead. Perhaps the next step will be a tour of the Mother Ship, excluding the restricted area which houses those individuals whose probing went awry. First, of course, is providing you with the latest version of a special colander, made from the finest copper mined in Chile. When donning an inverted colander, you will be able to communicate with the Mother Ship in real time, plus have immediate access to the information, translated into the language of your choice, from all civilizations in the universe. As a starter, I would suggest the diploma course from which graduates are permitted to append CBS, Certified Bot Spotter, to their names. After becoming a CBS, I almost immediately realized that @Jeremy_M was a bot, and that he was a Mark VIII iteration, the most recent in artificial intelligence.

Welcome to the group!

srlawren
@Martin perhaps it's time to start inviting Bob and Sue to the budget committee meetings? Or, we could have a telethon. Bake sale? Bah, we'll come up with something sooner or later

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @srlawren,

I miscommunicated. Joe wants me to explain who, between the two nut jobs, is the more frightening.

With respect to the 2 web addresses, I provided them in the event that someday you may have to host a call-in event.

To community members: Please consider donating what you can to the Oracle program. Due to corporate cutbacks, it is unlikely that each Oracle will be provided with a wand and pixie dust. That's comparable to Santa without toys for good boys and girls, or Vancouver without rain. Bless you!

Martin

srlawren
@Martin tough call on that one! I hope Joe can enlighten you. Otherwise, just flip a coin.

Thanks for the conference suggestions. I could call the US, but it would be the same add-on minutes as it would cost me to call Toronto. So, 6 of one, half dozen of the other....

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778 and @srlawren,

If you can call the USA, you may wish to use www.freeconferencecall.com or www.freeconferencecalling.com.

I need to go now; I'm awaiting a transmission from Joe, a colleague of Bob and Sue. He wants to discuss who is scarier: Trump or Cruz.

Ciao,

Martin, an Oracle without wand or pixie dust

srlawren
@7789849803 sorry I didn't realize 647 was Toronto I thought it was Montreal but regardless it's out of province 😞 I called Citrix this morning to ask if they had any local access numbers and the lady said no. Silly, really.

@srlawren I also use GoToMeeting for work. Most of my meetings tend to have a 647 area code (Toronto) conference number, though. I've heard anecdotally that if you keep creating and deleting meetings, you're quite likely to eventually land an area code of your choice. Hardly a solution to that problem, I know.

srlawren

@7789849803 likely.  I did reinstall it yesterday but haven't used it yet.  The company I just started working at seems to use Citrx gotomeeting.com for meetings, and they only have a Montreal-based number for dialing in.  Most times I'll attend the meeting on my laptop including sound, but may need to dial in from time to time and only have province-wide calling so I'll try using Fongo for that I think.

@srlawrenMaybe if you give Fongo/VoIP another go, there's a good chance your internal cookie monster would be very pleased 🙂

srlawren

@7789849803 me love cookie, om non non....

@BAL would love to hear your experience once you're all set up and running on your choice VoIP solution!

BAL

Thank you very much!

@BAL I am unequivocal in my support for VoIP. I think it's abhorrent that most of us are still using (and paying for) circuit-switched voice networks that belong in the 19th century.

VoIP is:

1. cheaper,
  2. offers significantly better voice quality,
  3. more flexibility (no roaming or geographical restrictions, as long as you're on the public internet),
  4. supports smaller enterprises and therefore better competition (due to it being less capital intensive to set up),
  5. and supporting it also indirectly supports other innovations in the technology sector (such as visual voicemail/voice to text, enhanced caller ID, mobile banking, and so, so much more).

I wish I could personally give a cookie to everyone on the community who switches to VoIP! I realize that Telus (the parent company of PM) likely does not enjoy people saying this, but I actually think Telus will thrive in the near future on non-voice revenues, so I'm not trying to ruin PM and/or Telus in advocating for people to switch to VoIP.

BAL

Wow, thank you for your experience and thoughts. That helps me to understand the pros and cons of those applications.

Fongo has worked well in my case, and consistently so. The only real problem I'm facing, that I can't seem to resolve, is a minor one that affects texting. Sometimes, when I click on a text message conversation, it simply does not open. I have to wait 2-3 seconds, and/or click on it multiple times, and/or exit the app and open it again, before the conversation will open. It only happens once in a while, and when it does, it only ends up being a minor annoyance.

That said, I do think Fongo doesn't do the best that it can to consolidate its different brands and apps into one single user experience. For the sake of maximizing revenue, they're artificially fragmenting customers into World Edition, Freephoneline, Home Phone, etc. I think users would have a much better experience if everything was merged into one single UX.

I do not have any other complaints against Fongo at this time. Those who have faced voice quality issues with Fongo in the past have very likely not explored the configuration options in the app to its fullest extent, IMHO. I have a feeling that @srlawren may have something to say to that, though.

BAL

Hi, you said " I would have stopped using Fongo a long time ago.". Why? Is it because you don't like Fongo, or it is because it was useless in your case? As a very near PM customer with a VoIP application, I am interested to hear all the feedback about those apps. Thanks.

@Luddite Or maybe you missed the fine print because they WANTED you to miss it? This is one of several reasons that if it hadn't been for the completely free calling and texting (even the texting is free for me because I have lots of unused credit on Google Play that I can use to buy 6 month texting packages with), I would have stopped using Fongo a long time ago.

Thanks @7789849803 I missed the fine print because I only use it on my iPhone and iPod.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@BAL wrote:

Thanks for the warning. You are right, but if I download Fongo directly from iTunes store, I should get the real thing, I think.

Correct.

BAL

Thanks for the warning. You are right, but if I download Fongo directly from iTunes store, I should get the real thing, I think.

@Luddite Please note that the app at the link you have posted is NOT for Fongo, but Freephoneline (a closely related service offered by the same company). The website clearly states at the bottom, in fine print:

*It's important to know that Freephoneline, powered by Fongo, is a separate product. The credentials, phone numbers and account login cannot be used for the Fongo mobile app or Fongo Home Phone.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
Me too. 😃

Look here https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/

BAL

I am an all Apple guy thought with an iMac and an iPhone. I personnaly find that they are expensive but it is worthwhile in term of quality. But, it is only my opinion. 🙂

They have a PC version as well, I think, if you want to play around ahead of time.

BAL

I can't because, I had to send my ASUS Wi-Fi router for a minor repair so, for the next week (or less I hope), I am connected to my ISP's modem directly. But as soon as it comes back, I will be able to play happily with all those things. I hope to help people with my experience with VoIP. Althought, it is not exactly new for me because my home phone is on VoIP for few years, without a single hickup (except with the CISCO phone adapter wich took a little while to configure correctly).

You do not need to wait for your new phone to try it out. Just connect any phone on wifi (to save data), download the Fongo app, and activate an account. When the new phone arrives just get the app and access your account.

My sister started using Fongo when visiting Florida and is going to change to a PM data only plan once her contract expires. She bought the texting plan from them as well. Connecting at home with wifi means she will likely get away with just 1GB for 90 days. @7789849803 uses Fongo too.

BAL

Yes indeed, There was a reply on another post saying that he/she had problems with the phone using Fongo. It is an older device so maybe, the developers of Fongo are not exactly backward compatible. So I want to try it with my new account with PM for myself and give her/he some feedback.

srlawren

Awesome, enjoy your new phone @BAL!  I hope the data amount works out for you.  

BAL

I have checked before buying. It is locked to Telus. Thanks.

Congrats on the new phone, and an early welcome to PM. I think we iPhone users are a minority but love our devices. Do you plan on using VOIP for calling? If so please let us know hwo & how well they perform.

I hope you purchased an unlocked phone, or locked to Telus. Other carriers won't connect to PM. 

Don't forget if you are moving from Koodo, Telus, or Virgin to take a temporary number before requesting the port and use a different email address.

Have fun.

Need Help? Let's chat.