Did you mean: 

Wifi calling.

Edsport
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do PM have wifi calling?

13 REPLIES 13

@funpig1 wrote:

@computergeek541 

Thank you for responding, but what would caused my post and others to disappear?

I was following two threads created by other people called "Why aren't all plans offered to loyal customers."  They were also edited or moved by an oracle and the discussions completely disappeared or are no longer accessible. 

Some have mentioned a spam filter. However, my post below explaining a solution for Wi-Fi calling is basically a cut and paste of my original post, without the references to international travel. Yet, that post was not spam filtered. It would be nice if the website explained why a thread would get spam filtered if that is what happened. Thank you.

This is information that I do not have access to, but a software algorithm would have determined that the post was suspicious in nature.   This is speculation, but it may have something to with length of post, embedded links to websites, or number of posts in a short period of time.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 

Thank you for responding, but what would caused my post and others to disappear?

I was following two threads created by other people called "Why aren't all plans offered to loyal customers."  They were also edited or moved by an oracle and the discussions completely disappeared or are no longer accessible. 

Some have mentioned a spam filter. However, my post below explaining a solution for Wi-Fi calling is basically a cut and paste of my original post, without the references to international travel. Yet, that post was not spam filtered. It would be nice if the website explained why a thread would get spam filtered if that is what happened.

Furthermore, why would you even bother to remove the category "Community" from my post?  One of the stated purposes of the Community is to encourage members to post ideas and suggestions, which is all I did. 

Thank you.

@funpig1 wrote:

My original post was completely deleted from the community board. However, I can still access a copy of it in my notifications and it shows that my post was edited by computergeek541. Here is screenshot of my censored post:

Please be aware that I neither changed any of the content of your post, nor did I move or delete your post.  I only removed category labels that didnt apply to the topic. For example, the "Community" label is for discussion about questions and issues about how to use this Community website.  

@funpig1 wrote:

Semantics.  It is an effective solution to PM NOT having Wi-Fi calling.

My original post was completely deleted from the community board. However, I can still access a copy of it in my notifications and it shows that my post was edited by computergeek541. Here is screenshot of my censored post:

Screenshot_20240528-071346.png

@funpig1 , while we are aware that it is “not Wi-Fi calling using our PM phone service provider”, I see it as a solution as far as still being able to receive calls from my PM # by forwarding the calls to my TextNow # using Wi-Fi to use the app to make & receive calls. I just can’t call from my PM # that way. Only from my TextNow # but it still allows me to make outgoing phone calls regardless. Especially for emergencies in locations with poor cellular service/signal. Plus it still allows me to receive important calls from my PM phone # to my TextNow app. 👍🏻 Unless PM decides to offer Wi-Fi calling to their Customers this is a doable option or switch providers.

Oracles can’t delete posts. They can only move them. The spam filter can remove posts & PM Employees can. Some of my messages have been triggered at times by the spam filter when I was positive I did everything correctly! Sometimes it happens.

funpig1

Semantics.  It is an effective solution to PM NOT having Wi-Fi calling.

Screenshot_20240528-071346.png

@funpig1 

I replied on that thread and I saw the thread disappeared.  But I can confirm that it wasn't Oracles that deleted it, It looks like some words on your post triggered the spam filter and got it removed 

and just want to clear up on the terms, the suggestion to use TextNow is NOT a Wifi Calling solution or workaround.  Using Wifi (or Mobile data) to make calls using those app is NOT a Wifi Calling.  They are just VoIP app.  Wifi calling only applies to using Wifi to make and receive calls with your mobile carrier phone number, not with those app 🙂

funpig1

@LitlLdy @Chalupa_Batman @fixin1 

I originally posted this detailed explanation for Wi-Fi calling in a separate original thread, along with an explanation of how textnow might also be used when traveling for more members to read. For some reason, the moderators or oracles completely deleted my thread.

@LitlLdy  you deserve some bravos because you have been putting this WiFi setup to use in the real world. I am just goofing around and posting ideas because I am am forced to hang out in the community. The only reason I keep logging back in to the community is because I am waiting for a CS_Agent to reply to my messages for assistance. It has been 3 weeks since I sent my first message and opened several tickets.

@funpig1 , good job on sharing that information! 👏🏻 

@Edsport , Since Public Mobile doesn’t have Wi-Fi calling & I have limited outgoing minutes I have been using the TextNow app when connected to Wi-Fi for a few years which helps a lot when I need to make extra outgoing calls and not use up all my 100 outgoing minutes with Public Mobile. Especially when I have poor signal with Public Mobile in some locations. Having the option to forward my Public Mobile number to it means not missing important calls.

I chose to get the TextNow SIM Card so I can use it for free in USA without Wi-Fi & it includes essential data for free. Plus I get to keep that phone number this way without using it every day.

At least for now all this is an option until Public Mobile has Wi-Fi calling for Customers in locations with poor cellular service but they may never offer it. 😞 

funpig1

@Edsport @Chalupa_Batman @fixin1 @Rastin 

You can try the following solution and see if it works for you.

How to set up?

1. Download the TextNow app and obtain a free Canadian telephone number. Note: You have to use that TextNow number every 2 to 7 days otherwise, the number may be removed. As long as you use the assigned TextNow number regularly, you can continue to use the same number.  If you lose the assigned number, you can obtain another free one. You could pay a fee to lock the number, but frankly, I don't think it's worth it.

2. Set up a "Call Forward" from your PM number to your TextNow number. You can scroll down to the bottom of the following linked PM help article for a detailed explanation. I like to use the "variable" call forward code "*004...  ". You have to set the X number of seconds before the PM call is automatically call forwarded to TextNow.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

3.  When you are in an area with poor PM cellular signal, all you need to do is find a strong free Wi-Fi source. 

How does it work?

A.   When somebody phones your PM number and you are still in Canada with a good PM signal, your PM number will ring X number of seconds. You can just answer your phone and take the PM call.

B.   On the other hand, if you do not have a good PM signal or simply don't want to answer the PM call, after X number of seconds, the call will be automatically forwarded to the TextNow number.  Your TextNow app on your phone will now start to ring as long as you have access to Wi-Fi. It doesn't matter if you are in a concrete bunker in a PM dead zone. As long as you have Wi-Fi, the call will go to your text now app on your phone. If the Wi-Fi is good, your TextNow call quality will be very good.

C.   If you still fail to answer your phone, the the call will go to the TextNow voicemail. You can access the voicemail at any time from the TextNow app on your phone.

D.   If you wish to make an outgoing call in a PM dead zone, you just open the TextNow app and just dial the intended recipient's phone number. What will show up on your recipient's call display will be the TextNow phone number. 

Summary

As long as you have access to decent Wi-Fi, you will be able to receive the incoming call made to your PM number and you will be able to call out from TextNow toll-free to any number in Canada. 

The advantage of this setup is that people can continue to contact you by simply dialing your PM number no matter where you are as long as you are connected Wi-Fi.  There's no need to notify all of your friends, family or clients, etc about the TextNow number.  They just simply call you on your PM number and not know the difference. It solves the problem of poor PM signals and makes it easy for people who don't know how to use a messaging app like WhatsApp to contact you. There's no need to switch to more expensive plans at Koodo or Telus in order to have Wi-Fi calling.

I have tested this out at home and it works. @LitlLdy has been using this setup to save her limited minutes.

YMMV, depending on the quality of your phone, strength of Wi-Fi. But at least, this setup does not cost you anything to try.

Good luck.

Edsport
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks people...

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Edsport 

Sadly at this time Public Mobile does not have WiFi calling. Only the top tiers. If you are out of range with your phone service and at least have WiFi, you can consider getting Fongo or TextNow VOIP on your phone and just call forward to them. Doesn't cost a penny!!! 

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Edsport - Public Mobile does not offer wifi calling at the moment, better luck looking at PC, Freedom, Koodo, Fido, Virgin, TELUS, Bell, Rogers, or some of your local carriers.

Rastin

No they don't

Need Help? Let's chat.