cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

Cardinal17
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

can you get wifi calling on public mobile network?

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@_Dave for point 3: you could try using Google Hangouts to make your outbound calls.  You can verify your phone number and then set it to use it as the outbound caller ID.  This way it's even more transparent to the people you are communicating with.  

This may be dated now but I'm betting the procedure is still very similar:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Using-PM-outside-Canada/m-p/146841/highli...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

_Dave

I have no access to Public Mobile's cellular network on my workplace because my office is in the subbasement floor. However, I have access to the internet through WiFi. To keep my phone accessible while I am at work, I use the following trick to activate WiFi calling:

1- I installed Fongo app on my phone and it gave me a free phone number like (587) XXX-XXXX. This app allows free Canada wide calling through the internet (I guess you can use some other free apps as well).

2- I dialed *62*587XXXXXXX# on my phone while I had access to Public Mobile's cellular network. Using this code, my incoming calls are forwarded to the destination number i.e., my new Fongo number when my phone is not receiving the network's signals. So, I receive all incoming calls through Fongo thanks to the available WiFi.

3- To call someone at work, I use Fongo directly, as calling is free using the app.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Cardinal17 wrote:

can you get wifi calling on public mobile network?

No such a feature in PM....for now

@CDiordiyev2019 wrote:

No, you would need to connect to a wifi nearby. Then your data won't be used up.

Wifi calling doesn't use cell data, but Public still doesn't have wifi calling.

CDiordiyev2019

No, you would need to connect to a wifi nearby. Then your data won't be used up.

@Mitch1 wrote:

I use a third party app. My phone is an android running 9.0 android . I downloaded Skype and WhatsApp and use those for long-distance. Of course I'm connected to a wifi network however it will work with your data as well. 

That's not wifi calling. Wifi calling doesn't use an app and it is a normal phone call just over wifi instead if the cell tower.

Mitch1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I use a third party app. My phone is an android running 9.0 android . I downloaded Skype and WhatsApp and use those for long-distance. Of course I'm connected to a wifi network however it will work with your data as well. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

WiFi calling is not an available feature with Public Mobile

Need Help? Let's chat.