cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi calling

jamalalhaj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Any idea if pupils mobile supports Wi-Fi calling? Their signal is really weak if none at my work place and I need to use Wi-Fi calling. I’ve just transferred my phone number today to join PM; but if Wi-Fi calling feature is no enabled, it is not worth it.  

28 REPLIES 28

@Greg2024  We are just customers, but as far as I'm aware there are no plans for WiFi calling. But we wouldn't know until it rolls out, nor would front line staff you contact via direct message.

Greg2024
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Any idea when wifi calling will be available from Public Mobile?

@IDontHaveANick This is a Public Mobile forum, not a Rogers forum. And this thread is about the availability of Wi-Fi calling at Public Mobile, not about billing questions at Rogers. I did attempt to answer the question, but the point was that the question needs to be directed to Rogers.

IDontHaveANick

Yes, that is the big WiFi calling ripoff.  The wireless network is a finite resource that has very real costs for using.  WiFi very much less.  But they still ream you the mobile costs when you use WiFi.

But you shouldn't be surprised by that here in Canada.

The use for WiFi calling otherwise is to be able to make calls in areas with WiFi but no mobile coverage, and sadly those do exist with Public Mobile.  Lots of dead spots.

IDontHaveANick

Why isn't this the place to ask that?  Where should it be asked?

This isn't the place to ask that, but I believe that's common for most carriers that have wifi calling. Same also goes for roaming fees I believe. Wifi calling is helpful to fill coverage gaps. E.g. maybe at home or at your cottage you don't have good cell reception, wifi calling can help so you can still make and receive calls.

Tharg

Can someone educate me please. I have another phone with Rogers who support WIFI calling, but they still 'charge' the call time to my phone records, as though I was using the phone network. So what is the point of WIFI calling? Thanks, Tom.

WifiCalling

When will public mobile enable wifi calling?  Seems like a pretty standard feature to have !!!!??? 

MJAY

No, PM doesn’t support WiFi calling at the moment. Hopefully, they will implement it in the near future but for now, I don’t have any info regarding the feature.

@jenjenjen78 wrote:

It does not support wifi calling at least with Apple it doesn’t. I called to confirm. It’s very disappointing since Telus their mother company offers it. 

Publci Mobile doesn't support wifi calling on any phone.

jenjenjen78

It does not support wifi calling at least with Apple it doesn’t. I called to confirm. It’s very disappointing since Telus their mother company offers it. 

@jamalalhaj wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't. 

My comment to Beer was more about prompting him to try out his instructions in his own device as I sometimes suggest to regulars here to try out things before posting something erroneous. What he wrote is not useful for this service. It would be right if this service offered that. But then too, things can be changed in the systems here and they might not be noticed until somebody does try it out or stumbles across it. There can always be surprises.

@jamalalhaj wrote:

There is no Wi-Fi options in the general setting.

I was mentioning to you that the steps provided earlier wouldn't work.

@jamalalhaj wrote:

The message that you replied to about enabling Wi-Fi calling conains incorrect information. There's no such feature at Public Mobile.

jamalalhaj

jamalalhaj

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't. 

jamalalhaj

So @BEER : when you follow your nice clear instructions how well does it work for you on your Public service? Those are the exact instructions to turn on wifi calling on a service that has that function that the wifi calling switch gets shown. Even still the service has to enable it on your account.

So does it work if you use airplane mode and turn on wifi?

@BEER wrote:

Yes, Public Mobile supports Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling is a feature that allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network, even if you have no cellular signal. This can be especially useful in areas with poor cellular coverage, such as your workplace.

To use Wi-Fi calling on Public Mobile, you will need a compatible device and to enable the feature in your phone's settings. Here are the general steps to enable Wi-Fi calling on most devices:

1. Go to your phone's settings.
  2. Select "Network & Internet" or "Connections".
  3. Look for an option for "Wi-Fi calling" or "Wi-Fi calling preferences".
  4. Enable the Wi-Fi calling feature.
  5. Follow any additional prompts or setup steps as needed.

Sorry, but Public Mobile doesn't support Wi-Fi calling.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes, Public Mobile supports Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling is a feature that allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network, even if you have no cellular signal. This can be especially useful in areas with poor cellular coverage, such as your workplace.

To use Wi-Fi calling on Public Mobile, you will need a compatible device and to enable the feature in your phone's settings. Here are the general steps to enable Wi-Fi calling on most devices:

1. Go to your phone's settings.
  2. Select "Network & Internet" or "Connections".
  3. Look for an option for "Wi-Fi calling" or "Wi-Fi calling preferences".
  4. Enable the Wi-Fi calling feature.
  5. Follow any additional prompts or setup steps as needed.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Four letter acronym - MVNO. Like here, there are only a handful of infrastructure networks in the states. Many other brands are MVNO's. It's the protectionist nature of our own handful of providers that is the problem and them being in the pockets of the regulators.Or what we've seen all too often including our little outfit here that the big guns simply swallow up the customer bases of those little providers when they are allowed to exist in the first place as we're now seeing with Videotron buying Shaw/Freedom.

I had mentioned in another thread the other day that I grant that our rural coverage is better than the US networks. That's about the only real tangible benefit I can see and the slimmest of threads to justify our service costs. But also far fewer people live their lives in rural areas. Most people are in and around more urban areas. The US networks know this too but yes our networks can be used across many distant highway stretches and small towns dotted throughout.

The US providers work in far flung places like Alaska and Hawaii and Puerto Rico too...not just the continent.

+1.  It is difficult/impossible for a new business to build out a national network.  Wind/Freedom is the most credible attempt by a new entrant.  Here we are 15 years later, they remain a regional carrier.  We always hear about how much cheaper it is for telecom services elsewhere.  Well to enjoy that tiny bit of benefit you need to live elsewhere.  Let's not lose sight of the huge costs for that tiny bit of savings.  It's hard to argue against the quality of life in this country.  The good things in life are worth spending on.  I digress.

The US has so much competition in the wireless space, whereas competition here is very limited. 

@DennyCrane- I have a US service that costs an average of $2.50US per 30 days and it uses volte and also offers wifi calling. This is more about rip-off Canada.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile is a Tier 3 / no frills provider. You benefit from low prices on the Telus network, but you don't get call centre or brick and mortar support, nor do you get features such as WiFi calling. 

I haven't heard any mention of wifi calling being on Public Mobile's roadmap, nor would i expect such a premium feature anytime soon.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jamalalhaj VOLTE will come and hopefully it helps if you have decent LTE signal

But not Wifi Calling.  You will need to check with Koodo or Telus if that is needed 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jamalalhaj 

Wifi calling is not available on PM.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Sorry, wi-fi calling is not available here at Public Mobile, @jamalalhaj 

Need Help? Let's chat.