cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the reception so crappy recently? Were the bands chaged to lower quality for Public mobile?

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've been with Public mobile before and right after it went all online.

And the reception has been excellent.

A few months ago I started to constantly get problems where the reception is dropped and I dont hear the person or they dont hear me. Is there a reception problem going around for other people while in buildings like the old Wind (freedom now) service.

I heard someone complaining about this, before my problems started on an forum on the internet This was in January or December. They said that they had public mobile and that they were leaving due to reception problems and were looking for another company. I was surprised because I always know that the network was excellent.

I dropped my phone and have a cracked screen, but I dont think that should affect reception.

Does anyone know what going on with the bands and signal.

8 REPLIES 8

@srlawren 

As you know, I used to get spectacular performance on the HSPA network at times when others were saying that were getting much worse performance. In my area, something has dramatically changed.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

Network changed wouldn't be specific to only Public Mobile. However, I have also noticed a severe degradation in network quality on the HSPA network.  For me at least, data has become unreliable/unusable, and when it does work, speeds are only about a thrid of what they were last year.  I suspect that large amounts of HSPA specturum are/have been repurposed for other network technology types.  This means lesss capacity for HSPA.  As this network is required for phone calling at Pubilc Mobile, it's possible that any such network changes could also be affecting voice services.

@computergeek541 I wonder if that's a regional thing?  My partner is on PM and I talk with her quite often without much to complain about.  (My side is on post-paid Koodo so I have access to VoLTE and so on, but she's got the same W-CDMA calling as everyone on PM.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Bubba wrote:

I've been with Public mobile before and right after it went all online.

And the reception has been excellent.

A few months ago I started to constantly get problems where the reception is dropped and I dont hear the person or they dont hear me. Is there a reception problem going around for other people while in buildings like the old Wind (freedom now) service.

I heard someone complaining about this, before my problems started on an forum on the internet This was in January or December. They said that they had public mobile and that they were leaving due to reception problems and were looking for another company. I was surprised because I always know that the network was excellent.

I dropped my phone and have a cracked screen, but I dont think that should affect reception.

Does anyone know what going on with the bands and signal.

Network changed wouldn't be specific to only Public Mobile. However, I have also noticed a severe degradation in network quality on the HSPA network.  For me at least, data has become unreliable/unusable, and when it does work, speeds are only about a thrid of what they were last year.  I suspect that large amounts of HSPA specturum are/have been repurposed for other network technology types.  This means lesss capacity for HSPA.  As this network is required for phone calling at Pubilc Mobile, it's possible that any such network changes could also be affecting voice services.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

A dropped phone may have caused issues with the internal antenna. 

Can you try try a different phone?

@iliketotalk , the 3G only usually is to help the issue when calls cannot connect.. not to help with call quality. 

@Bubba   what kind of phone do you have?  

Do you see better voice reception when you are on different area ?

or did you try your PM SIM in another phone?

@sheytoon Well you must have a better solution then?

@iliketotalk that won't help with voice calls where one person can't hear the other person. All voice calls on PM are on 3G today.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Bubba Hi try manually changing to 3g in your settings see if that helps 

Need Help? Let's chat.