cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is public mobile so cheap

hughdyment9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve recently switched from Bell to Public mobile. I’ve been saving over $60 a month for a very similar plan that I had with Bell. How is public mobile so cheap? How can they make enough money when all the other phone companies are charging soooooo much more??!!

11 REPLIES 11

LegusY
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeah no physical locations save a lot of money, same thing for online banks, they offer accounts with no minimum balance and no fees whatsoever.

I_am_Heidi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'd rather do without the big bill for having someone answer the phone. I found the support at Rogers was lacking. The agents are polite for the most part, but I have had to spend hours (and I mean hundreds of hours) over the last 15 years on the phone dealing with billing errors, plan errors, troubleshooting service issues. At one point I wished the agent happy anniversary as after a full year of me calling every month to have a bill correction completed, and even with notes upon notes on my account the billing error kept happening. They kept billing my hubby ridiculous charges for data even though he was working from home and connected to wifi at all times. No thanks. When they weren't able to match what PM can offer it was time to port my number.

lyylwygaj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You lose some features: Wi-Fi calling, VoLTE, etc, you may not use them though, but when time comes and you do need them it might be a surprise.

No live support, basically you need to figure out your concerns within this community

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Plus you can knock down your bill further with rewards/points or purchase things for free with points (such as add ons etc)  while the new rewards system is far inferior to the old system it is still better than any other carrier from my experience. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@hughdyment9 

The top tier cell companies (Telus, Bell, Rogers) have all the bells and whistles.

The mid tier cell companies owned by the top tiers (Koodo, Virgin, Fido) are reasonable.

The lower tier cell companies also owned by the top tier (Public, Lucky, Chatr) are bare bones and charge for additional options.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Ever try to hire a contractor @hughdyment9 ?  It pays to shop around in nearly most situations and know what your options are. You've made it here, so that was likely a good money saving decision on your part. 😃

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @hughdyment9 ,  Yes, because PM is part of Telus, sharing some system from Telus. 

But , honest,Telus, Bell and Rogers all have a Tier 3 service providers and running similar plan, similar price

The biggest difference, could be another way to save some money is that they don't have a live support liine.  Their support is fully online and they rely on Community support as the first level support.  I think they allows them to hire not as many support staff, which saved some cost

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hughdyment9 It just shows you how much the other companies including Bell ,Telus ,Rogers rips people off

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM is no frills mobile provider.

There is no live support. Most issues are resolved by free help from customers like yourself. Only account related issues are handled by agent though personal mail.

Since PM is using Telus network coverage is great and reliable.

But if you have an issue with service getting help might be frustrating.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

No call centre

Keep cutting costs - recently revised rewards program 

Lower cost plans are on throttled LTE to 3g

All on line -- no commissions for setting up an account 

Website has bugs...and won't be fixed. 

$15 plan is based on a CTRC ruling. 

Referrals allow growth 

The biggest problem right now is easy access to buy a SIM card reasonably close and the online ordering takes too long to ship. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

No Call-center or Live Help person. Just us Community Forum contributors. Faster than Call centers and no elevator music to listen to.

Need Help? Let's chat.