cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why didn't my US plan work when I was in the US?

jumblbug
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Last month I bought a plan for travel to the US, and yet it didn't work when I was there. I had my cellular data and data roaming turned on, but couldn't make phone calls or access the internet unless I was on wifi. Does anyone know why it wouldn't have worked or how I can get support on this from Public Mobile and a refund too? I have to go to the US again next month and then Mexico, I need to be able to use my phone and would like to know what I did wrong, to ensure my plan will work. 

11 REPLIES 11

jumblbug

Thank you, it seems like that is what I will have to do.

Alexandf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jumblbug 

buy it prepaid US sim card from amazon has US and Mexico.

What make / model phone ?

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Go into your network settings and select the network your prefer. 

jumblbug

Thank you, not sure I know how to 'manually' connect? Do I just go into settings and then cellular and when I'm in the US, T-mobile will show up? 

jumblbug

Ok, thanks very disappointing then, if they aren't working, they shouldn't be selling them. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

I was successful in using the add-on in US by manually selecting T-Mobile as the network. I found it worked resonantly well in populated areas...not so much in rural areas of Washington state. Your results might vary.

For use in Mx, you'll need a local sim and cheap plan. I purchased a Telcel sim and had a comprehensive 30 day plan ...all for about $20. I could call most any Cdn and US number. It even works while your in Caanada.

jumblbug

Yes I was connecting to a US network and for Mexico I'd buy the Int'l plan, will that work or are you saying no Public Mobile plans work in Mexico? 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You might want to try asking support to credit you back the cost of the previous charge. Then when you get to the states next month after buying add-on again, manually connect to T-Mobile to get the best chance of getting service.

Metal1967

@jumblbug  There has e been lots of issues with roaming packages for a while now , you may want to look into prepaid US SIM cards for your next visit.. I’m sure more in depth solutions will be added shortly..

DDM69

Were you connecting to a US network?  It won’t work in Mexico by the way. 

Need Help? Let's chat.