cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will it be safe to port my number?

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I signed up for the promotional plan, but unlike many others I didn't port my number over. Instead I created a new account and kept my old Rogers account active so I could evaluate Public Mobile service first.  So far everything on the new account seems to be working fine.  I'll probably give it some more time, but wanted to know how long should I wait until it's safe to port my number?  

It seems like people are still experiencing porting issues.  If there is chance of that happening I will wait, but how long?  

13 REPLIES 13

zoomzoom87
Only use account number. Only use imei (in addition to account number) if you're %100 sure that imei is registered to your account. Otherwise there could be some mismatch and porting may fail.

erotavlas

I'm still scared to do the port.  I'm seeing more issues being posted now, the promo ended long time ago, wtf.  Do you think things will improve in one month?  

MyzMc

I have ported 4 numbers over (2 providers) and each time I provided the mobility account # and IMEI and all 4 went through fine.

So I still don't entirely know why some ports fail for others, but I suspect related to:

- Information entered incorrectly

- Information entered "correctly" but containing characters or spaces that PM didn't expect (their system does not have enough error-handling, checks etc.)

- Some sort of internet connectivity issue (say internet went out or timed out part way through).  Just for safety, I did all ports directly connected to ethernet rather than using wifi

@erotavlas It wont go into a black hole, but Rogers might keep it for their own use. 🙂

For real, just try it, dont be afraid because you saw so many unsuccessfuly port in. Many are going through no problem.

oilblue99

Technically not always "exactly as the statement". Rogers statements include hyphens. Do not enter the hyphens.

KK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
The problem with stuck ports appears to generally incorrectly entered information. To avoid this, copy your account number and name exactly as they appear on your bill. The tranfer request DOES NOT require you to fill all the blanks. Fill in only what is necessary and what you are sure of. I just ported three numbers without a hitch but I read the forums and was very careful.

If this solved your question, please mark as solved.

erotavlas

@Luddite Thanks for the additional info. 

One other question. - Is there ever a risk of losing the phone number I'm porting over if something goes wrong with a port?  Like it getting sucked into a telecommunications equivalent of a black hole while in transit from Rogers to Public Mobile? 🙂

oilblue99

Good points by all that replied. Especially like the idea Luddite raised about a backup if an issue in the interim would be a problem.

One additional note: when entering account number be sure to enter just fhe digits (no hypens or spaces).

As already noted, Account number is enough, rather then IMEI (long, easy to typo; might be different than what's on file) and PIN. [edit: Main reason is that one wrong cancels out the process, even if the other two are correct)]

In late September, we ported one line from Rogers (Account # digits only; IMEI), and it worked fine. Was late in thee evening, so I'm not quite sure how long it took. Everything was fine by morning. That was ported during activation...though I know better now. Then again, that wasn't promo period so Mods would have replied quickly.

2nd line from Rogers was last week, more like your current setup erotavlas:
- activated with a new number on a 10 day plan (temporarily)
- carefully validates that all account conatct info matched existing account
- on 20th, switched to promo plan (last minute or what 🙂 )
- then on the 20th, ported through Self Seeve using Account # only (digits only; id not enter IMEI or PIN)
- texts and outgoing calls were fairly quickly on the PM SIM
- about a couple hours after requesting the port, a text came through indicating a successful port (I didn't see that right away)
- Incoming calls were working when I checked later that evening

TLDR;
Our Rogers to PM ports we were 2 for 2 (careful data entry)
Account # digits only; no PIN or IMEI

Good luck!

cheeseburger
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@erotavlas

The answer really depends on how long you can go without your phone if something goes wrong.

I'd guess there's at least another two or three weeks of backlog despite the optimisim from PM.

Are you worse off paying another month to your other provider or not having a phone/having to carry two SIMs?

I know what I'd choose.

nsol357
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just want to add:

- Double check the field containing the number you want to port before clicking submit!!

I don't know if it's there that some of us are getting weird issues like the Alternate number getting ported instead but it's a good idea to double check.

Zadrox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ported my number yesterday, with no issues. Now, obviously, there are issues being found with the port in process, because this forum is ablaze with people having issues.

I gave all the information on my previous Wind account - account number, IMEI, and pin, double checked that it all added up, made sure the name on the account matched exactly that of what Wind had, and ensured that the box authorizing that I had the rights to move the number was ticked. 30 seconds later, process said it was completed. Couple hours later, Public texted me that the number was fully active on their end.

From reading the forums, some of the issues related to porting numbers in is due to bad information being given. Substituted digits, missing digits, wrong name on account, etc. But there also seem to be some technical issues - one user reported that there were two port-in requests sent by Public to Rogers using the automated system, and had to go through a lengthy wait for support, and calling Rogers to cancel the port requests manually. So, I dunno. I think it could be 1 in 10 chance of having a bad port.

Again, this is all anecdotal, and might not help you. 🙂

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Many port-ins go through unmolested so I suggest you go ahead when ready.

Normally, during the transfer period (4 hours) the Rogers SIM receives calls while you can make calls with your Rogers number using the PM SIM. It happens rarely but some port-ins hang up AFTER the initial phase and service is lost on both SIMs. If this would be a crisis for you then, at least mentally, create a backup before beginning; voip from fongo.com for example.

Couple of threads worth reading and then a list of "do nots":

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/The-Guide-to-Headache-Free-PM-Signup/m...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/SECURITY-OF-SERVICE/m-p/23214#M4783

"Do nots” for port-ins

- do not use any identifier except your account number EXACTLY as shown on your bill; it is the best item for any port-in request

- do not make any errors in the Authourized User; this must be EXACTLY as it appears on your bill

- do not use your number as the Alternate Number; use someone else's

- do not forget to click "I am authourized ...." BEFORE you entering your number (courtesy imm1304)

- do not cancel your account; that will happen automatically

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Porting issue occurring is random, but if you provide info clearly and with no mistakes, it should port in just fine. Issues usually occur when you port in while activating. Signing up with new number and then porting from self-serve has been the better method. Don't forget to check "I am authorized" checkbox. 

Need Help? Let's chat.