cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When changing my phone number, can I get a specific area code?

TomT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I moved to Ottawa a while ago, and last summer I changed my phone number. It turns out the apartment building I moved into has a very old buzz code system and expects a (613) number. Unfortunately whenever I use my Public Mobile account to check phone numbers available in Ottawa, I'm only offered (343) numbers.  I tried getting around this last summer by requesting another nearby town, which did have (613) numbers available, except my apartment building says it's a long-distance (613) number, not a local one, and refuses to use it.  So I can't have food delivered, and every time my friends want to visit, they either wait for someone to open the door, or they have to phone me directly and I have to come down and let them in.  Is there any way to make the "Change phone number" system only show me (613) numbers instead of (343)? It doesn't seem to matter how often I refresh the list of numbers, or if I change to another location then back again. 😞

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TomT 

Nice! It's been quite a long time since I lived in Ottawa but I knew one of the two (Perth or Smith Falls) might work. Sorry about that link while a useful tool for other tasks and somewhere on that site you can find the local calling exchanges. Along with a whole host of other interesting features to search and identify phone numbers it wasn't proving very useful the other night. When are you ordering pizza and beer? 😄🍕🍺

TomT

Thanks for the feedback!  Update on the situation - You've all got better luck than I do.  Reloading the available Ottawa phone numbers never gets me a 613 number. 😞  The number I'd chosen earlier that turned out to be long-distance, that was for the town of Perth, ON.

Buuuut - I did some reasearch.  The link someone provided to find the local calling area wasn't especially useful.  So I found this link instead, which gave me a whole bunch of local calling exchanges!  Which I then compared to the list of locations on Public Mobile, and there was one place on both lists - Smiths Falls, ON!  Turns out their phone numbers became local to Ottawa back in 2007.  And that gave me 613 numbers!  Yay!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Ooooh....you got an (613) 807-XXXX number too!

@TomT 

That's at least 4 available (613) numbers.....you're going to miss the boat?!!

HI @TomT   keep fliping to another city and come back to Ottawa, here are what I found:

hTideGnow_0-1673403033866.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TomT 

There are currently at least 3 (613) 581-XXXX phone numbers available under the Ottawa/Hull rate centre. Best act fast!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TomT 

Lol....OK maybe my reference tool makes it easier said then done? Try Perth or Smith Falls but they may still be long distance? Both have (613) numbers available.

cgzhao

i used to live south of ottawa(an hour) which uses 613, but 3years ago when I signed PM, there is no 613 available. I assume it is used up. i dont live in apt, but i never have problem with calling and receiving. that is odd.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @TomT tell your building call 343 is free from 613 area. 

Where is area code 343?

Area code 343 serves southeastern Ontario, Canada including Ottawa. It is an overlay for area code 613 and serves the same area.

overlay for 613, how would it be long distance???

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TomT 

Use this tool to find the rate centres with (613) area codes and their local calling area so you can then search the relevant rate centre's in your self serve account to find an available (613) phone number.

https://www.npanxxsource.com/local-calling-areas-lookup.htm

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It doesn't make sense. I'm sure the local calling area is substantial. Did the building even try to set it to your number? Or did they just dismiss you without checking.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TomT @you can only choose from the ones avaliable in self serve 

Need Help? Let's chat.