cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What speed is my data?

call-151
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on the $135 / 90 day / 6GB plan from a few years ago. I am running out of data more these days so I want to change my plan.

1. How can I tell if I have 3G or 4G data now?  All it says for my current plan is "6GB data Data". 

2. What is the difference in 3G vs. 4G data speeds?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Doesn't matter. Anybody can ask about any account as long as they can verify account information.

Be aware that we often see incorrect information from these agents. I just had one saying my basic plan does not have data so just stay on 3G. No it doesn't. But it has a bunch of add-on data that is on 4G LTE.

So it can often end up that information you get here is more accurate and even more up to date than what you could get from an agent. And faster. The agents are obviously needed to do account things.

@call-151   they might still be able to deal with you with your current Community account

if no message from PM Support, I would message them and let them know you did complete the validation

Private message to the CS Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened. CS Agent will reply you there

call-151

Well, my private message inbox is empty, but it probably doesn't help that this is my wife's PM account that I'm asking about. She doesn't have an account in the community forums.

It's good CS agent steps in, but I really don't think the should post the link here.  At max they should just say "check your inbox for authentication link"

And sometime, many times, CS agent private message the wrong person (ME instead of those OPs) and offering help.  Again,it is good they step in, but they should be more careful.  Read the post.  LoL

@call-151- Not here. Have this conversation in private messaging. The agent really shouldn't've replied here.

call-151

I have done the authentication procedure.

Thanks.

@call-151 

I suggest sticking with 4g as the 3g plans have been nerfed(slowed down). the experience is not good. either way one can always change plans if one is experiencing issues with the 3g plan. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Any plan that mentions 3G in the description will be 3G. If there's no mention in the description then by default that is 4G.

So-called 3G is set to 3Mbps. The new 4G is set to about 100Mbps. YMMV as always.

Adding - lol do a little catch up reading and see that nobody is saying that and then there's dabr at the same time. 🙂

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@call-151    If you don't see 3G speed mentioned in your account, then you are on 4G plan (grandfathered).  IIRC all 3G plans do mention 3G speeds. 

Also keep in mind, since your plan and 90 day payment timeline is no longer offered, any change to one of the current plans will mean you cannot go back to your discontinued plan but will also be on 30 day payment cycle.  Of course, the newer plans, especially the newly introduced 4G plans, might offer better value if you are depleting your available data before renewal.

@call-151 

If you use a lot of data, and your paying that much price for 90 day what  i think much better for you to change new plan with 30 day, with a higher data if you user a lot, and check out all price  Plans (publicmobile.ca)

with the budget you would like to pay each 30 day and how much need data.

call-151

Thank you I will try contacting support. I guess I should have done that first.

@call-151 

you right not showing...  but i found this  6GB @ 4G LTE / 90 days plan = $135 - Page 2 - Community (publicmobile.ca)

your speed 4G,

if you wan to contact PM support team by private message CS_Agent  to check it in your account.

call-151

Yeah I can't find any text that says 3G or 4G, on my account. Maybe I'm missing something.

@call-151 - i thought the same as @saadh , your 90-day plan could be on 4G?

Is there no description of your plan under the Plan & Add-ons?

Below, shows 'data at 3G speed', so that is how we know what speed this plan is on. What does yours show?

esjliv_0-1661899499932.png

call-151

@Timer 

Here is a screen shot of my plan, data is almost used up but not quite.

call151_0-1661899450446.png

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@call-151 

what plan is showing to you 3G/4G speed. or can you provide a screenshot and block person info.

you running out of data, and your data is off now or you just saw at your account data usage full.

call-151

Thanks for the quick reply guys 🙂   If I'm on 3G now then I will probably continue with another 3G plan. The $40 for 5GB is a better deal than what I have now!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@call-151 

Since you are on a grandfathered plan, you are on 3G.

If you are not streaming movies or video, 3G is good enough for everyday usage.

saadh

I think your plan is one of the grandfathered plans which has full LTE speeds, so it's a 4G plan most likely. 

3G speeds are around 1-3MB/s whereas 4G speeds are close to or above 100MB/S

Need Help? Let's chat.