cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with the offer to put grandfathered Public Mobile $19 plans on to Koodo?

MichelleCleroux
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi.  I got this offer in text from Public Mobile (Telus) shortly before the 14th to change to the same plan with Koodo before the 14th, less a month's charge.  Then a call from a local Koodo salesperson today to tell me to switch, or face a rate increase from Public Mobile.

What's going on here?

Thanks.  Michelle.

20 REPLIES 20

@MichelleCleroux most likely a Public rep, but some Koodo reps also can

I don't think Telus ever comes here

Your post is at top now

It depends on when last reply was made

MichelleCleroux

P.P.S.  This question should be at the head of this board; not relegated to the bottom.

MichelleCleroux

P.S.  This is not solved by any means.  Who said it was solved?  A telus rep? 

MichelleCleroux

"Public Mobile was only obligated to keep offering the $19 plan up until the end of 2014."

Yes, it was offered up to that point.  So, why offer a "grandfathered" plan at all - and tell people it will stay at the set rates - if changes were to just be allowed to it thereafter?  There was/is a reason that such plans were offered up to the end of 2014.  Those were grandfathed or protected instead of being changed then.

At any rate, the method of offering a "Valentines" promotion here - clearly no love intended (?) - and then immediately turning around with more aggressive means to put persons who, in my opinion, weren't dumb enough to take that "promotional" offer, off their set plans is creepy.  Signing up with Koodo wasn't in my plan.  However, I will put the phone to rest for the maximum alloted time each year to SAVE about $180 dollars a year if not just discontinue with it altogether.  (I have a FreePhoneLine.ca computer phone for free Canada-wide access phone to use and focus on now.)  However, it was the longtime love of my life's phone.  She passed away last August, and it's been very hard on me.  Still is.

It's always the priciple of the thing.  The reason that I don't bother with anything I don't really need and or want.  The more we own, the more we are owned.  [I guess that, in general, people are only another sort of mortal animal.  Nobody ever really shows any private or business class or true life.  Always somebody who already has enough but just can't keep themselves from sneaking around, and doing the unnecessary, especially the opposite of what was intended.  And people wonder the reason they have "small" lives.]

@MoreYummy positive

Virgin is public listed and funded by BCE on launch

@kav2001c  Are you sure it is already own by bell since day one?  I dont think so.  It was started by non-bell company. 

Chatr is different,  It is just another similated competition by Rogers when Wind comes out.   Most people already know that. 😄

@MoreYummy Virgin was never a seperate company. Bell did not "buy" them since they were always owned by Bell. You are referring to a corporate restructure.

Back in 2005 they launched wth Bell's money as a prepaid offer (since back then Bell was only doing postpaid clients)

Same idea as Chatr, they were never a seperate company. They have always been Rogers.

@MichelleCleroux wrote:

Thanks.

But it was my understanding that Telus had a legal obligation to grandfather those plans as is.

If I do the hassle of switching to an unknow like Koodo, will the plan remain at $19 a month?

Where might I file a complaint about this?

Public Mobile was only obligated to keep offering the $19 plan up until the end of 2014.

Sorry, but Public Mobile can charge whatever they want to for plans.  You can complain to the company if you wish, but they've already made the decision.  Public Mobile can also increase prices for current customer at any time by giving sufficient notice.

@kav2001c  Virgin mobile some years ago.  And other small companies many doesnt even know. 

@MoreYummy who did Bell ever buy???

MichelleCleroux

P.S.  This came up a couple of years ago, when all the trouble with Telus buying Public Mobile began.  I was assured then, after asking this same thing, that it would stay at $19.

MichelleCleroux

Thanks for the help.

Well, this is all very strange.  First, it was supposed to be some sort of promotional  Valentine's Day offer from Telus to go with Koodo.  Then Koodo calls to tell me my rate is going up, and to come to them.  I smell a rat (or two) here.  Sorry, but it is what it is.

None from Telus told me up front of a rate increase.  Strange enough that I think I will look into filing a complaint.

Where are the mods here?  I would like a response from one of them.

@MichelleCleroux  if you are currently on the $19 Province wide Calling plan that is going to $22 you would be better off to switch to the new plan at 90 days for $76 but if you set it up for autopay you would get an additional $2 off each month as a reward and your loyalty reward would be atleast another $2 a month so you would be  $76/3 = 25.33 - $4 you would be in at about $21 unless you also have some other referrals of have been with PM for 3 years to get more loyaly rewards.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Actually the OP is right about the take over by telus, they need to maintenance the same thing for older customers.  That's why there is dispute about this with other smaller carrier rogers, and bell bought before.  

There are cases like this before, that's why there are many bad reputation about the big 3 because of this kind of business pratice after the deal is closed.   You can file a dispute with CRTC like previous post.

@MichelleCleroux the wireless code (legal obligation) protects you from a carrier making changes to your plan (unless those changes are in your best interest). 

Eg if they announced as of next month you only have 200 local minutes (instead of unlimited province wide calling) you could fight it

If they announced they were giving every client 6GB for free that would be ok

There is no price protection at all (not even if you are under contract or have a tab subsidy). That is a huge misconception many people seem to have.

Even Koodo will (someday) increase price. Just not next month.

Any complaints you wish to file can be done here, but I am skeptical anything will come of it

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form

@MichelleCleroux wrote:

Thanks.

But it was my understanding that Telus had a legal obligation to grandfather those plans as is.

If I do the hassle of switching to an unknow like Koodo, will the plan remain at $19 a month?

@MichelleCleroux In a nutshell your choices:

a) do nothing and pay $22/30 days for your current plan, or

b) for best "bang for the buck" take the offer, then return to Public Mobile if/when Koodo raises their rates. To do so though, you do have the aggro of going to a Koodo kiosk, and porting your number twice (first to Koodo, then back to Public Mobile). or

c) take one of the current Public Mobile plans, or

d) go to another carrier.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I do believe that every carrier has the right to change the pricing on their plans when ever they want as long as they inform the clients a month ahead. They tend to put that pricing is bent to change without notice and such on the small footnotes.
Since there is nothing on the CRTC to stop them from that.
From other topics in the community the offer to switch to koodo is to move them as I mentionned to where they can have call centers. Your plan and pricing should stay the same as they are cooperating together on this and both koodo and public mobile belongs to Telus so it isn't really an unknown company.
More info read here
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Public-Mobile-s-Koodo-Offer/m-p/136778

MichelleCleroux

Thanks.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Here you can read the post 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Effective-April-1-changes-are-happening-...

as @MoreYummy said they seem to want to eliminate the call center and mode to a fully online platforme by encoraging people to keep their plan by switching to koodo, or you can still stay but pay 3 more dollars

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

There is a recent news about increasing rate for legacy plan customers.  

And there is koodoo offer for the same customer too that you can move to koodo, and have same service level,   Basically public mobile wants those customers to move over to koodo. 

It has been happening for some time for the promotion.   So you need to decide to stay or move and have same plan and a call centre when you have issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.