cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to Public Mobile?

Ventura
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public Mobile is a shell of its former self. There is nothing to distinguish this tier 3 mobile service from its competition. With the removal of autopay rewards, loyalty rewards and the cheap mobility plans there is nothing left. Their $15 plan was excellent!

Is it only a matter of time before PM is merged with Koodo? 

Looking at the activity in the community.... inquiries have dropped off and so has participation from customers. Look at the bravos being given out which is drastically down.

10 REPLIES 10

Burdwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Ventura wrote:

@hTideGnow 

Their list for VOLTE support devices is not that good.

Telus philosophy enforced. The cell phone provider oligopoly is kicking back to the cell phone manufacturer oligopoly.

As a BYOD provider Public Mobile should just allow any phone that has the capability to access VoLTE. It worked flawlessly on capable imported phones when VoLTE first went life, before they started to enforce the white list several months down the line, cutting non-listed phones off. So it's totally artificial restricting access to the Canadian mid to high cost subset of four brands. Along with pulling the $15 plans, that is completely aimed at the most economically vulnerable people. 

I think all retail and service providers go through phases/cycles.  This brand was in funk for a few years, gained traction with the introduction of 5G and big gig plans and now has re-discovered the rut again.  They will eventually come out of it.  

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Loss of $15 plan is a big failure of PM. They can claim that daddy company (Telus) does offer cheap plan ($100/year) so PM does NOT have to offer it anymore.
As for rewards, yes, that was great and very stimulating to bring new customers and participate in Community but it is not rewarding anymore.
PM does offer some 'rewards' in terms of Points but it takes forever to collect 15. But at least Something for those on still great $15 plan! For those on more expensive plans it is drop in the ocean (percentage wise).

Jess31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think the old rewards were just a stepping stone to get the business going. Now they have enough people that they do not need that to bring people in. 

They still have some rewards and referral points.

@Ventura  I totally agree with you , PM is not nearly as good as it used to be . But that have me by the shorts because even though it’s not as good as PM of yesterday . As a loyal customer who’s brought in refferals I still save if they ever go after the points and refferals I will definitely jump ship . Until that time I’d just be cutting my own throat to jump ship 

Ventura

@Handy1 
The problem is most of the low cost plans are for new activations. There is nothing really for existing customers. It was easy for existing customers to move to different plans back in the day.  Sometimes I would stay on the $15 plan and then switch to a higher plan when I needed more data/minutes and then switch back. Look at the participation in the community. It use to feel like a community because you could see the same customers helping out and having playful banter. Now you have the Oracles and a few diehards. 

HI @Ventura 

no argue with that.  But honest, the list of iPhone and Samsung S22 and later and Pixel, that covers 50% or more of PM users already.  For a business, that is all they care, majority

Ventura

@hTideGnow 

Their list for VOLTE support devices is not that good.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Venturai don't disagree with the rewards and low cost plans . But this is the direction PM is going and even thou the old loyal customers don’t like it PM is still getting more customers every day so they I don’t think are to concerned on how we feel about the old legacy rewards . We still get some point rewards and not nearly as lucrative as the old rewards . So for me I still save with PM 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Ventura 

I don't see it this way.  The Legacy rewards save you a lot of money, but Public Points still an outstanding "bonus" that other Tier 3 carriers don't have

also, they are the first Tier 3 carrier to offer 5G and VoLTE.  So, there is still a lot of goods with PM

Need Help? Let's chat.