cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What contributes to Data usage?

geobryden
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Brand new here and my daughter set me up on the basic $15/mo plan, so minimal data but I used it all within the first 5 days of having this phone and have no idea how.  I have no apps on the phone, no web searching etc. It is basically just for emergency purchases.  My iPad is linked to it, so I do get messages that are sent to my iPad on this phone, but my phone is also only turned on when I am at home and connected to wifi so I am at a loss as to what would be using my minimal data that I have?  Any input is appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

moonmack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Okay, thanks.  

Background App Refresh was set to Wi-Fi & Cellular Data, so hopefully switching that to wifi helps.

@moonmack 

@geobryden 

Go into settings, cellular, scroll down, only switch on what apps you want to use when data is turned on. Scroll down more and reset statistics. 

Go to settings, general, background refresh, all switches on.....but click Wi-Fi only. 

I only have turned ON, safari, mail and Find My. 

Turn off iCloud Drive too. And Personal Hotspot. 

Don't worry the apps that are off, WILL work on wifi. 

Then consider turning data off all the time. Turn on to make checks and then back off. 

Leave iMessage  on!! Some people don’t understand iPhones well enough,  to be qualified to make the suggestion, to turn iMessage off. 

@CountyDownIeUk- Can you help this customer with conserving data on their iphone.

moonmack

System data usageSystem data usage

It says I used a gig of data this month, and it looks to me like it might be software updates …

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@geobryden  

Turn off syncing to your other devices or on wifi only. Turn off iMessage and enable SMS/MMS instead. Keep your mobile data off unless needed.

@moonmack 

disable your mobile data while you're at home. i either wifi or data enabled, never both. iPhones need a minimum of 1gb imo. iMessage will eat up 250mb quickly

@moonmack from what I know, iOS updates do not download over cellular data

And if you are checking usage history,  the usage you see around midnight-1AM does not mean your phone is downloading at that time.  PM only update data entries twice a day, so usage of any entry is just a total usage since the timestamp of last entry

moonmack

I have a similar problem and reset the cellular data counter.  I used a whole bunch of data in the night while I was sleeping, the iPhone was in range of Wifi, and “low data mode” was enabled.  Looking at the usage the biggest use of cellular was 258MB to “Software Updates”.  I can turn the phone to airplane mode for night (or turn the phone off), but otherwise I don’t know how to stop this.  It is very annoying when I have 250MB included with my monthly plan.  Any ideas?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you have DATA On all the time then default apps and/or OS can use it for updates or just to check Internet for whatever dumb reason.

You can always check your usage logging in to your account and try to figure out when data is used. If it is around midnight-1AM then it is your phone behaving.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@geobryden 

Another option is to enable (turn on) Airplane mode when you are not using your phone then disable when you are using your phone.

There are background updates to built-in iPhone apps.

@geobryden   make sure you turn on "Low Data Mode"

1. Go to Settings and tap Cellular
  2. Tap Cellular Data Options, then turn on Low Data Mode. 

And also disable Wifi Assist

geobryden
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello - Yes it is an iPhone that I am using.  I checked and the background refresh is off and I have reset the statistics so Ill be able to see where the useage is once my month rolls over, thank you for that suggestion.  Still lost as to what would use it...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@geobryden   honest, it is hard to say

is that an iPhone? 

You can do this when you have the data back again.  Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics and then go  back in couple days to observe the usage there and you can tell which app used the data

And to minimize data use , generally you will disable background data use.  Make sure you disable app update on data.  

And for now, if you need the data, go to My Account and go to Plan and Add-on page and then by data add-on

Need Help? Let's chat.