cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes my phone to not receive a signal?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Some of the major reasons for not receiving signal are but not limited to coverage, phone settings, SIM and hardware issues.

The actual coverage and network service may vary according to geographical location and both are subject to change. For example, coverage in a building may not be same as the coverage in the basement of the building or in the elevator.

If your handset is not receiving signal, please ensure the following:

1. Active SIM is inserted properly in the phone.

2. Phone is compatible with Public Mobile network.

3. Phone is not locked to a different network.

4. Phone is well within coverage. Click here to see Public Mobile coverage area.

5. Airplane mode is turned off.

Ensure that the SIM card you are using is not damaged by trying your SIM card in a different compatible unlocked device.

If it’s a newly inserted SIM, do the following:

Normal Power Cycle – Turn off your phone and turn it back on after 15-30 seconds

If your phone or SIM card is still unable to connect to the network please follow the steps for a Hard Power Cycle.

Hard Power Cycle - Turn off your phone and take the battery out (if possible) for 15-30 seconds
and re-install your phone's battery and turn your phone back on

If you are still having trouble connecting to the network you will need to do a Factory Reset of your phone. Please note that performing a factory reset on your phone will delete everything you have saved on your phone including pictures and apps. Ensure you have properly backed up all of your
phones data.

6 REPLIES 6

Chicklets
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Follow Martins advice and if that doesn't work try your sim card in another device. You also mentioned that it is a new sim card. Has it been activated?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

On the off-chance, is your phone set to 2G instead of 3G? If so, it must be on 3G to function properly.

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

You should delete your phone number as quickly as possible for two reasons: It is irrelevant in this public, not private, forum, and the Google search bot visits several times per day to record all information. Unless you are prepared for unwanted calls, please do it now.

Thank you.

katiejthompson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes the phone is unlocked, and is recieving a internet signal from my work place. but not from my carrier.When I leave the building I have nothing.

Chicklets
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

All you need to do is put the old sim into your new phone and it should work. Is the phone carrier unlocked?

katiejthompson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi  I have inserted the new sim card into the phone that is compatable . The phone is a HTC One S

Device serial number is HT26EW401770. My old phone has died and this is the one I want activated. My phone number is 343-364-6113. I just added a new month on. Sept. 29/2015 . I tried to do it on line but had no luck. I need this phone up and working ASAP. Thank-you Cathy Thompson. Help Please

Need Help? Let's chat.