cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING. EBay buyer wanting SIM cards pre activated. vaaasinaaa

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

EBay user vaaasinaaa

Wants numerous SIM cards pre activated or will rent from you.

Wants for inbound texts only….for a month only. 

Does not want to use CCS. 

I can’t figure out if is a scam or not. I think is a scam. A scam for the supplier or for the inbound texts using a phone number for only a month. 

Any one have some insight?

8 REPLIES 8

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LurganIeUk   this person message you on ebay to help?or message you here?

@Korth 

Yup you are seeing the same way as I did. Thus the warning. 

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

But why is what I wonder:

Only wants for a month. 

And must have burnt burnt their bridges with CCS. 

They say a month. But maybe they only need a few minutes - long enough to login to an account, copy or modify data on the card in a SIM reader, etc.

Anyone can buy a SIM card with cash from a retailer and activate it with garbage information and a junk email account (also created with garbage information) on a public computer. It wouldn't matter on a temporary, cheap, disposable number - and it just can't get much more anonymous.

Who cares about CCS? There's plenty of physical vendors and plenty of online vendors - including Public Mobile itself. We're talking about an item which costs only $5 or $10, most people have a retailer within a few miles and can just walk out of the store with a new (activated or unactivated) SIM card in their pocket, it's hardly worth ordering online - from a unknown source you can't take it back to - and waiting for days or even weeks for it to arrive - just to save a whole two dollars.

A little surprising that someone on ebay seems willing to pay for someone else to do it. That's why it looks scammy.

Maybe they expect/hope you'll use the (compromised, copied, hacked, modified?) SIM card yourself after it's returned from the "rental". After a month of who-knows-what has been logged onto it - telemarketing, scam, fraud, phishing, harassment calls? drug deals? hitman negotiations? - the most absolutely stupid thing anyone could do. They might as well buy the SIM card from you instead, even if it was uncompromised it wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping back, if they don't want to keep it after a month they can throw it away themselves.

But why is what I wonder:

Only wants for a month. 

Wants numerous.

For incoming texts only. 

And must have burnt burnt their bridges with CCS. 

Probably looking to buy burner numbers. Disposable, anonymous (or pseudonymous).

It's not a scam. It's not illegal. Or maybe it is, in the strictest technical sense, at least from the perspective of the provider, if you read through their Terms of Service stuff. It's certainly something they cannot enforce but would strongly discourage.

But it does indeed look very shady and suspicious. I can't think of any plausible reason you'd ever need internet-anonymized SIM cards for legit usage. (I also can't imagine why anyone savvy would think they're actually buying anonymity when they're going to plug it into an active tracking device they carry around all the time.)

The only thing worse than selling pre-activated SIMs is (unknowingly) buying pre-activated SIMs. Which someone else could use for all sorts of ransoms or service and identity frauds.

Consumers should think of that little gold circuit on their SIM card as being just as valuable as the little gold circuit on their bank/credit card. If it's linked to you then it can cost a lot of time, money, and stress when it's used maliciously against you.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Yes I assume scam. Just warning others. 

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you think it is a scam, then it very most likely is a scam, trust your gut!

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sounds like a scam. Stay away. 

Need Help? Let's chat.