cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volte - Could this be the possible cause of all the plan change issues?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

HD Voice is made possible by VoLTE (Voice over Long Term Evolution) technology. Many carriers use the two terms interchangeably. VoLTE is the next generation of VoIP, a technology that enables phone service over the internet. VoLTE is similar to VoIP, except that it uses a carrier's LTE data network, not Wi-Fi, to send and receive calls.

Screenshot_20220917-071927.png

Screenshot_20220910-082251.png

Volte, coming to a cellphone near you!

I would ask customers to avoid and cancel all scheduled plan changes and to ask customer support to do this for you after your account has renewed. this way one could possibly avoid the current service issues when changing ones plan. 

6 REPLIES 6

@computergeek541 

agreed

i still think they're doing some sort of big network change that botched up. and that greyed out volte provision has never been enabled on my device. so something's up

@gpixel wrote:

yeah I did more research on it. it just means a higher codec is being used on my device. 

It doesn't help that searching for this results in bad infromation coming up in internet search results. This reminds me of national news agencies who reported that a data connection was required to received officially emergency alerts on a cell phone. This is false yet it got copied by many.

yeah I did more research on it. it just means a higher codec is being used on my device. 

Nothing has changed.  Public Mobile has had HD voice for several years, and as @Nezgar has indicated, VoLTE and HD voice aren't the same thing nor are the terms interchangeable.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel wrote:

HD Voice is made possible by VoLTE (Voice over Long Term Evolution) technology

HD Voice is not exclusive to VoLTE - 3G networks have been able to transport HD Voice (AMR-WB Codec) which has been part of the standard since 2001.. Even today Any calls between Public Mobile, Koodo, Telus customers can use this Codec. Technically "Extended AMR-WB (AMR-WB+)" is supported on 3G but I have not seen it myself with Public Mobile.

VoLTE supports even higher codecs though, such as Enhanced Voice Service (EVS) - which is 4G/VoLTE only, and branded "HD Voice+"

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@gpixel   which area you are in?  I wonder if they are doing testing.  I remember someone in GTA talked about this couple months ago

But honest, I really think VoLTE is coming soon.  

Will try it out

Need Help? Let's chat.