cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice calls now happening on 4G - VoLTE coming soon?

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I know there has been a lot of talk/speculation about VoLTE coming to Koodo and PM, but I noticed something odd with PM voice calls and wondering if others are seeing it as well.  

The following threads discuss VoLTE coming to PM and even Koodo later this year:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Va-Va-VoLTE/m-p/831930#M559428

https://community.koodomobile.com/prepaid-79951/volte-for-prepaid-7812075

I have an up to date Android 11 Moto G Play 2021 device and experience the following when placing voice calls:

- call is setup on HSPA (with H symbol with X through bars after changing from LTE)

- after about a minute or so it switches to 3G (3G symbol shows up)

- symbol changes again after a short while but to 4G this time (4G symbol shows up but X no longer present on signal bars)

- 4G remains for the duration of the call

- phone returns to LTE symbol after call ended

Anyone else seeing this or perhaps it's just the way the software ROM in this Moto behaves?  Or maybe this is the beginnings of the VoLTE becoming available - thoughts?

Note - I see the exact same behaviour on Koodo prepaid with the same model device (different handset)

25 REPLIES 25

@Kristowhy wrote:

T

Both myself and @will13am have experienced above that when the SIM status is in HSPA (for mobile data), mobile data does not work concurrently with voice call.  For me, my SIM status (for mobile data) must be in HSPA+ mode before I can use mobile data during a voice call.  So either there is something wrong with my device (less than 2 year old snapdragon chipset + X11 LTE modem), or this is network related.

@computergeek541 Can you test this with your device to see if you are experiencing similar or different behaviour?

This is what Bell has to say on their website about HSPA/HSPA+:

Bell hspa.png

I can say without any doubt that HSPA+ isn't a requirement to use both voice and at the same time.  As from earlier, many phones simply only say H when data isn't in use and the symbol changes to H+ when data is in use. As for data only working in H+ mode, there's no way to that I know of to disable tthe faster speed protocol.  A phone would automatically switch the best network protocol, so a phone doing that doesn't mean that it's needed for data.

As for the information provided by Bell, it's not entirely accurate.  HSPA and and HSPA+ aren't two different things.  I would say that HSPA+ is a type of HSPA that  allows faster data speeds.  As for the 21Mbps speed for HSPA, that's not entirely wrong, but the 21Mbps is an HSPA+ speed, just as 42Mbps (so why not just say HSPA can go up to 42Mbps?).  If you wish to go further into that, 42Mbps, while HSPA+, is sometimes more specifically referred to as DC-HSPA. 

Kristowhy

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Kristowhy wrote:

@softech wrote:

@Kristowhy   even on 3G , you can access voice and data at the same time.  

You are right, but from my findings, the SIM status for mobile data must be in HSPA+ mode in order for voice AND data to work concurrently.  Regular HSPA didn't allow data for me.

This could be a bandwidth thing.  On HSPA+, the bandwidth is greater and so they would allow talk and data at the same time.  My neighborhood is one big Faraday cage.  I barely get a signal.  

@Kristowhy 

HSPA+ isn't a requirement to use voice and data at the same time.  Anyone connected to the HSPA network can do both at the same time (some older phone's aren't capable of the "+" part).  

Once again, what your'e seeing could be becaue of your phone's software.  Some phones will say H when there is a data connection and then always say H+ when the data is actually being used. 

Both myself and @will13am have experienced above that when the SIM status is in HSPA (for mobile data), mobile data does not work concurrently with voice call.  For me, my SIM status (for mobile data) must be in HSPA+ mode before I can use mobile data during a voice call.  So either there is something wrong with my device (less than 2 year old snapdragon chipset + X11 LTE modem), or this is network related.

@computergeek541 Can you test this with your device to see if you are experiencing similar or different behaviour?

This is what Bell has to say on their website about HSPA/HSPA+:

Bell hspa.png

Basic UMTS should be capable of concurrent voice and data, but the peak speeds are so slow (384 kbps) that it's practically unusable in this day and age.

@will13am wrote:

@Kristowhy wrote:

@softech wrote:

You are right, but from my findings, the SIM status for mobile data must be in HSPA+ mode in order for voice AND data to work concurrently.  Regular HSPA didn't allow data for me.

This could be a bandwidth thing.  On HSPA+, the bandwidth is greater and so they would allow talk and data at the same time.  My neighborhood is one big Faraday cage.  I barely get a signal.  

@Kristowhy 

HSPA+ isn't a requirement to use voice and data at the same time.  Anyone connected to the HSPA network can do both at the same time (some older phone's aren't capable of the "+" part).  

Once again, what your'e seeing could be becaue of your phone's software.  Some phones will say H when there is a data connection and then always say H+ when the data is actually being used. 

@Kristowhy wrote:

@softech wrote:

Kristowhy

@softech wrote:

Kristowhy

@will13am wrote:

@Kristowhy wrote:

@will13am 

What app are you using to display that info?  Or is this buried in the hidden developer options?  Please elaborate.  I would like to test that with my setup as well.

Also, when you have a call going, can you access and use mobile data?  Can you send an MMS or just text SMS?  Please confirm.

The screencap was setting, about phone, SIM status.  Mobile data was showing as functional but it did not appear to work.  I am not 100% sure, but I thought that GSM standard does allow call and data at the same time, recognizing that data speed could be awful because the call has priority and hogs a lot of the available bandwidth.  It is possible that Public Mobile disable other capabilities during a call.  @sheytoon , we need your expert input on this one.  

Ok, I just went through my tests again and here are the results using the SIM Status page.

See comments below each image.

The long and the short of it is that the SIM status for "mobile data type" must be in HSPA+ mode in order for mobile data and MMS to function during a call.  When the SIM status was in HSPA mode, I could only send plain text SMS and NO mobile data  during a call.  And when the SIM status was "unknown" only the call was possible.

Similar to @will13am my phone switched from LTE to UMTS for "mobile voice network" when a call was setup.

And looks like there was no VoLTE action happening here after all, but it's strange how mobile data only works when in HSPA+ mode.  Or perhaps this is functioning as designed?

Call in progress.  Indicators shows 4G. SMS, MMS and mobile data is possible!Call in progress. Indicators shows 4G. SMS, MMS and mobile data is possible!

Phone idle.  No call.Phone idle. No call.

Call in progress.  Indicator shows 3G.  Only SMS possible.  NO MMS.  NO mobile data possibleCall in progress. Indicator shows 3G. Only SMS possible. NO MMS. NO mobile data possible

Call in progress. Indicator shows H. Only SMS possible. No mobile data.Call in progress. Indicator shows H. Only SMS possible. No mobile data.

Community_QA

IF PM turning on VoLTE, does that also mean Wifi Calling will be enabled as well?

@Kristowhy wrote:

@will13am 

What app are you using to display that info?  Or is this buried in the hidden developer options?  Please elaborate.  I would like to test that with my setup as well.

Also, when you have a call going, can you access and use mobile data?  Can you send an MMS or just text SMS?  Please confirm.

The screencap was setting, about phone, SIM status.  Mobile data was showing as functional but it did not appear to work.  I am not 100% sure, but I thought that GSM standard does allow call and data at the same time, recognizing that data speed could be awful because the call has priority and hogs a lot of the available bandwidth.  It is possible that Public Mobile disable other capabilities during a call.  @sheytoon , we need your expert input on this one.  

Kristowhy

@will13am 

@Kristowhy wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Kristowhy 

I have not seen any VoLTE.  I believe that you're simply seeing a phone that reports the HSPA network as "4g".  Many Canadian model phones do this when a Canadian carrier's SIM card is inserted.  This was done as a marketing technique to make the the HSPA network sound better by redfining the defintition of "4g".  In the U.S., this "4g" change in definition was also tried.  All it did was confuse people.

@will13am central Toronto area

@computergeek541 

I was thinking it was that but I don't believe that's the case here.  Whenever the phone mode in the top notification area changes to "4g" during a call, I am able to send/receive SMS and also use mobile data while the call is in progress.  Any other time I have an "H", or "3g" with X in bars, SMS and mobile data are not possible.

Why would the notification tray icon keep changing?

I conducted more testing and sometimes the 4G came in under 10 seconds, while other times after a minute.  And many other times it either stayed at H the entire time or started H and then went to 3G.  It does not seem to be consistent.  What is consistent is SMS and mobile data work during calls when 4G is displayed.  This is why I was thinking that it may be due to capacity constraints and the phone/network adjusts to maintain the call.

Screenshot_20220709-214214-890.png

Screenshot_20220709-215201-728.png

Screenshot_20220709-214111-832.png

I am in the same city.  This is what I see on my phone.  What is interesting is that when the phone is idle, the mobile voice network type is showing LTE.  Of course the mobile data network type is also showing LTE.  When a call is initiated, the mobile voice network type changes to UMTS.  The mobile data network type changes to HSPA.  I let the call run for 10 minutes, there was not transition to VoLTE.  

Phone Idle

Call in progress

Kristowhy

I just did a couple of test calls around 7pm EST after the phone sat unused all day.  The first call setup with H after switching away from LTE and surprisingly switched to 4G in 5 seconds into the call.  I was then able to send/receive SMS/MMS and use the data connection.

I hung up and waited 5 mins and tried again.  It started the same with H but after 30 seconds went to 3G and then back to H.  During this time SMS was possible but MMS was NOT.  And the phone could not use a mobile data connection.  

The advantage of VoLTE as we know is being able to use the data connection concurrently with a voice call.

*perplexed*

See images below.  I cannot figure this out.  Either the phone is screwy or there is something going on with the network.  It is my understanding that the mobile data connection is switched off during H and 3G voice calls and this is what is happening.  Yet my phone switches in 4G at varying times and then the data connections works concurrently.

Phone in 4G mode & data connection workingPhone in 4G mode & data connection working

Screenshot_20220710-190429-152.png

Screenshot_20220710-190509-679.png

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Happy to see that post from the Koodo rep for prepaid... maybe there is hope lol 

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hoping VoLTE rollout will be as smooth as possible!

Kristowhy

@softech wrote:

@Kristowhy  no luck for me, made a call just now and I see  LTE changed immediately to H+ on top  😞 

Try during the day when the network is more heavily in use.  Also, let the call go on for at least 1 to 2 mins.  After I hit about 10pm EST I was unable to get the "4G" anymore.  I am going to keep an eye on things during the day and when in other areas.

What device and OS version are you using?

Maybe my phone is possessed! 😂

@Kristowhy  no luck for me, made a call just now and I see  LTE changed immediately to H+ on top  😞 

Kristowhy

@will13am wrote:

@Kristowhy , what part of the country are you in?  I am wondering if this is a test.  The timeframe for 3G sunset is 2025.  Certainly the earlier services are unloaded from 3G, the quicker some of the 3G bandwidth can be repurposed.  Anyway, I have a 5G capable phone, I don't even see a VoLTE setting.  

This device is only LTE capable and the VoLTE option is in the mobile data settings area.  VoLTE requires the carrier side to be setup even if your device is turned on and I tested here with it on and off and didn't seem to make a difference.  

I have another device with 5g chipset and same version of Android and it doesn't have the VoLTE option.  I leave it set to 4G mode since 5g isn't available on prepaid platforms.

If you read the Koodo community forum URL I pasted above, a Koodo rep replied saying VoLTE estimate now for their prepaid platform is by end of the year.     

Kristowhy

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Kristowhy 

I have not seen any VoLTE.  I believe that you're simply seeing a phone that reports the HSPA network as "4g".  Many Canadian model phones do this when a Canadian carrier's SIM card is inserted.  This was done as a marketing technique to make the the HSPA network sound better by redfining the defintition of "4g".  In the U.S., this "4g" change in definition was also tried.  All it did was confuse people.

@will13am central Toronto area

@computergeek541 

I was thinking it was that but I don't believe that's the case here.  Whenever the phone mode in the top notification area changes to "4g" during a call, I am able to send/receive SMS and also use mobile data while the call is in progress.  Any other time I have an "H", or "3g" with X in bars, SMS and mobile data are not possible.

Why would the notification tray icon keep changing?

I conducted more testing and sometimes the 4G came in under 10 seconds, while other times after a minute.  And many other times it either stayed at H the entire time or started H and then went to 3G.  It does not seem to be consistent.  What is consistent is SMS and mobile data work during calls when 4G is displayed.  This is why I was thinking that it may be due to capacity constraints and the phone/network adjusts to maintain the call.

Screenshot_20220709-214214-890.png

Screenshot_20220709-215201-728.png

Screenshot_20220709-214111-832.png

@Kristowhy 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Kristowhy , what part of the country are you in?  I am wondering if this is a test.  The timeframe for 3G sunset is 2025.  Certainly the earlier services are unloaded from 3G, the quicker some of the 3G bandwidth can be repurposed.  Anyway, I have a 5G capable phone, I don't even see a VoLTE setting.  

Oh wow that would be a very nice development and ideal if this can be done as it was sort of a pain when you couldn't do both 

Kristowhy

UPDATE:  I turned wifi off and tried the calls again.  When the phone switched to 4G (usually after a minute) I was able to receive and send SMS and also use mobile data while the call was going! 😀

Kristowhy

@softech wrote:

@Kristowhy nice find.  I will certainly test it out tonight 

Sounds good @softech !  Let us know what you experience.  

You have to let the call go atleast a minute or longer before I noticed the symbols changing.  I tried it multiple times and the timing wasn't exact but the sequence still happened.   I also tried this with VoLTE turned off and on in my device and it seemed to happen the same either way.

I am wondering if maybe the 3G network capacity isn't as broad and good as it used to be and the phone/network is shifting to other bands to keep the call going?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kristowhy nice find.  I will certainly test it out tonight 

Need Help? Let's chat.