cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE

BS09
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there something you have to do to set your account up for VoLTE?

25 REPLIES 25

My actual lived experience on Oahu last winter before volte was that in Honolulu my phone would automatically switch down to 2G. I went to the north east of the island and my phone did not. I manually switched to 2G and it worked. I returned to Honolulu and it switched automatically after setting back to lte.

Yes the major issue is whether you're in a decent 2G coverage area.

BS09

so if I understand what you are saying...there is really nothing "I" can do to my phone, in order to be able to make or receive calls...? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BS09 , long thread, from what I can tell your phone does not appear to be VoLTE whitelisted by Public Mobile.  The time that you were able to establish a call you were lucky enough to have a 2G connection on the T-Mobile network.  The 2G network can be quite spotty depending on location.  Playing around with the preferred network setting does not do anything.  The phone will establish a connection to the required network in order to complete a call when one is taking place either outgoing or incoming.  

Yes it will show that before you make a call. If your phone is set to 4G LTE and you make a call what does it show on that line? The not registered is more evidence of no volte.
On 4G LTE, you should have data and text on either AT&T or T-Mobile. But without volte only T-Mobile offers their old 2G GSM network. Phones can automatically drop down or you have to manually set them. I've experienced both in different areas.

BS09

IMS shows  ... not registered  and mobile voice network type shows...   LTE

TY for the info...  

BS09

yes...connected to T Mobile.

(tried to connect to AT&T but was not able to connect)

TY for responding

So your phone is showing the volte option but it won't do calls? That's what I thought. Another way to verify is if your menu system is like my Samsung then go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status and look for any mention of IMS and whether it's registered. If no mention then you likely don't have volte. On that same screen look at the mobile voice network type and likely see LTE. If you were in fact able to make a call then that might change to UMTS or GSM and if so that is also no volte. If it had stayed on LTE then you might have volte.

But at the end of the day with 2G GSM, coverage is much less than LTE coverage.

@BS09 wrote:

changed my Mobile Network from 5H/LTE/3G/2G  to 2G only (if that us what you mean)  but still cannot make a call.  

@BS09  are you connected to T-Mobile now?  The 2G only trick only works with T-Mobile connected

If you are connected to AT&T, you have to leave it on LTE and try VoLTE

if nothing works, use VoIP app TextNow to make calls as a workaround for now.  And you can try again with VoLTE on T-Mobile or AT&T or 2G only on T-Mobile at a different area later

@BS09 To test if you have it make sure your connected to either 4G/LTE or 5G. Turn wifi off, make a call, and see if the call stays connected to 4G/LTE or 5G, or whether it drops to 3G. If it drops you don't have VoLTE. Obviously you'll have to do this at home if you're not able to make a test call in the US. 

BS09

I have a VoLTE button and when it is on (and it is) the LTE option is supposed to be automatically used... but LTE does not actually show on screen anywhere.

@BS09 Does it show you're connected with signal? If so, then I'm not sure. It's more of an unofficial workaround to no VoLTE.

BS09

changed my Mobile Network from 5H/LTE/3G/2G  to 2G only (if that us what you mean)  but still cannot make a call.  

@BS09 Every phone will be different, and some won't have the option. On my Pixel it's under sim card settings under its own radio button. Some it could be under Preferred Network Type. Also note that even if you have this option, there may or may not be 2G coverage where you are. If there is coverage and if your phone has the option though, you should be able to make calls that way.

Edit: Sorry, my screenshot keeps getting cut off for some reason.  

BS09

not sure how to force into 2G...

@BS09 Try forcing your phone into 2G if that's an option. 

BS09

ugh...  odd though that I was able to make one call that connected last evening and today nada...  wonder why???    ty for you thoughts and help

@BS09 I'm not sure if this list is up to date, but I don't see that device on the approved VoLTE list unfortunately.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/volte

BS09

ty for your help!  will do...

BS09

Galaxy A22 5g

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@BS09 All accounts now have VoLTE, but your phone also needs to be in the approved VoLTE list. What phone are you using?

BS09

Yes ... in US.   T Mobile shows as my SIM Manager... and I have rebooted multiple times.   Oddly, I was able to make 1 call last evening but nothing since.

Girlypop

Are you in the US now ? If so make sure you’re connected to T-mobile or AT&T .reboot phone.

BS09

Hi... I have a US Roaming Talk Txt Data package.  Cannot make / receive calls .    

Girlypop

Test this yourself set phone to LTE and make a phone call does it stay on LTE or drop to 3G if it drops  to 3G voLTE is not set up on your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.