cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE-only phone?

simonc-s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am not expecting to get many solutions but I hopefully I am surprised!

I own a Light Phone (no internet access, no apps). I cannot change any sim settings from the phone and need Public to do it from their end. I cannot see the option to contact the CS agent with the new layout.

I am unable to receive some calls from certain contacts in my phone. I thought it was a phone issue so I contacted Light Phone but they said it was a SIM card issue. This was their response: "Please ask your carrier to make sure your SIM card is provisioned for a VoLTE-only phone and that should resolve it".

Any idea how to do this or how to resolve this issue?

Thank you!

15 REPLIES 15

Sarti2004
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I haven't switched yet, but I plan to do so. Currently, all providers offer the same prices for the same amount of data, and they also provide real customer support, who can make changes on account. I'm just waiting for a good deal before making the switch.

simonc-s

Thanks for sharing. Did you switch to a different network or get a phone that is on their list? I emailed a CS agent and they said that I shouldn't be using this type of phone on their network! It is disappointing because PM fits my needs for everything else and I may have to do some research for other networks that fit my needs.

Sarti2004

I had it for a few months, actually, and you can definitely feel the difference, especially with the significantly faster call setup time and improved call quality. It's frustrating when they offer these services for a limited period and then disable them simply because they don't like your phone. What's more disappointing is that they have no plans to expand the list for existing phones only new devices will be added.

@Sarti2004   Yes, at the moment, only compatible phones can be using Volte on PM's network.  It is not new that some "non-compatbile" phones was able to use VoLTE breifly and got cut off after. 

I have a S21 and was using VoLTe for coule days and gone   It's not good, but my phone was not on the list.  So , we just hope they will expand the list.  We don't know

Good news is that, look like 3G will stay longer than expected and VoLTE , while is good to have, is not a MUST have any time soon.  There are rumous that 3G will be gone by end of 2025 , but latest news suggest 3G will stay beyond 2025 and will stay way longer than that.   

Sarti2004

Unfortunately, PublicMobile has recently begun silently disabling services for its customers. Until recently, I had VoLTE , but they disabled it for my account because my phone is not on their list of "compatible phones." When I contacted their support, their response was, "If you want to use our services, buy a phone from our list." So, it wouldn't be surprising if they disable 5G or any other service simply because your phone is not on their approved list.

@simonc-s   No, it is a matter if your phone is VoLTE on PM network.  Yours is not. Light Phone is LTE only and no 3G.   I don't recommend you to use the phone here unless voice is not important to you at all.  But again, you can use VoIP app as an alternatives 

simonc-s

Thank you for this information. The phone still works with some numbers. Probably with phones that have VoLTE enabled?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@simonc-s   while VoLTE is now enabled on PM, PM only allows specific models of phone to use VoLTE, the rest are still onl 3G voice. 

Since, Light Phone does not make it on PM's VoLTE list, please use a compatible phones with compatible 3G bands instead

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @simonc-s   I don't think Light phone is a VoLTE compatible phone here.  If it does not use 3G and only VoLTE, it won't work in PM

sullyman

hi @simonc-s 

VoLTE would typically work, but because you're using a pretty uncommon and unsupported phone according to their list. It could also be possible that you're using the phone in an area without VoLTE coverage.

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@simonc-s If you want to reach CS Agent you can use this link to ask if it's something they can update.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

simonc-s

Hi there, yes thank you for this but I have been using the phone for the last 3 years with no issue until now.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@simonc-s Light Phone's own website says they are not compatible with Canada... carriers I suppose? It' works somewhat now for you?

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 5.21.07 PM.png

simonc-s

Thanks for your reply. Does this mean I am unable to resolve my issue?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@simonc-s 

your phone isn't on the list of PM - Volte enabled phones.

added..scroll to bottom of this page for lists

Need Help? Let's chat.