cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE is now working!

Fred54
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I noticed a few days ago that the VoLTE icon on my phone is now lit, it really seems to be the right feature, I can go in the setting to enable/disable and it toggles fine, I made a call and it worked.

So it seems VoLTE is being phased on, can anyone confirm?

105 REPLIES 105

@Pop_Eye- I was replying in the context of calling. Yes of course 4G = LTE.

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@dust2dust wrote:

Android: when actively on a call - settings, about, status information, sim card status - mobile voice network type

UMTS =3G

LTE=VoLTE

4G = LTE????

Calls connect quite a bite quicker on VoLTE.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So, anyone notice any calling improvements? The main thing I have noticed is that it starts to 'ring' the other line almost immediately.

But this switch could be an issue for me in my house. I have weak LTE service inside (1 bar). I have ok 3G signal. I am on a 4G plan and I typically get 2-3mbps down and maybe 1 up in the house. When I go into town I get the full 100mbps. So I am thinking I may get worse voice reception in the house. Data is not an issue because of WiFi. So I may be looking to get one of those cell signal boosters. 

I'm not blaming PM or Telus for this, I chose to live here. And I am still glad they are making this change, but this is something others may notice as well

siberianquirk

I had zero service (3G or LTE) when I checked my phone today and I thought that was suspicious, so I restarted the phone (iPhone SE 2020) and I have VoLTE now!

Someone else I know who has an iPhone 8 was showing 3G for their connection (no LTE even for data), which was also a bit suspicious. I had them restart their phone and they have VoLTE now as well.

It seems like a phone restart may be required in some cases to get this working.

@DennyCrane wrote:

So that's BC and Ontario now. Anyone else?

I can't speak to as to if there is any regiion difference for existing customers as to when each account will have VoLTE enabled, but I suspect that actual process to enable VoLTE is fairly simple but that it just takes time to get to everyone.

Yes, totally agreed. It's per user, enabled nationally.

smp99

From reading the official announcement, it seems like it is more a rollout based on your account, not so much region. It speaks to everyone post Feb22 is activated, regardless of region.

@DennyCrane- Not for 2 phones in the Okanagan. I could kinda imagine a delay with an international Samsung but the other is a Canadian market Samsung.

What are people doing? Restarting? Airplane mode? It just appears from doing nothing?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

So that's BC and Ontario now. Anyone else?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Sound like it is a day for Ontario  🙂

smp99

Yep - working for me here in Muskoka now.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

I just got it in Toronto!

IMG-20230316-WA0001~3.jpg

Fred54

@DennyCrane wrote:

Based on the cached Koodo announcement from 2 weeks ago, I feel pretty good that the phased rollout has now commenced. I guess time will tell, but i feel like this is a really big step. 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Qe71Y3ss0IcJ:https://www.koodomobile.com/en/he...

Link no longer works for me

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

On some phones you can't see what network you're connected to unless you get the wifi symbol out of the way.

@smp99- Not sure what wifi off or on has to do with this test. But yes, I go in and out of airplane mode on a frequent basis to look for the volte toggle just in case. Still not.

smp99

Everyday - routine test now
- turn off WiFi
- make a test call 
- check to see if it drops to 3G
- So far it always slips into 3G
- Turn WiFi back on

My guess is the planned implementation had some bugs, so it got delayed. I suspect the voice outages from last week are related (i.e. they were trying to roll out VoLTE and it caused all sorts of call failures). They probably rolled back the communication plan until they had a higher degree of confidence that the launch would be successful. 

All speculation, i know!

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's strange that it was suddenly taken down, there's a possibility that something changed.

Based on the cached Koodo announcement from 2 weeks ago, I feel pretty good that the phased rollout has now commenced. I guess time will tell, but i feel like this is a really big step. 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Qe71Y3ss0IcJ:https://www.koodomobile.com/en/he...

@golfball wrote:

No official announcement so I wonder how long will this rollout take, two weeks? Months? Are we getting wifi calling as well?

Looking at the IMS data posts from a member that has VoLTE functioning on their phone, it is baby steps at a time.  It is only VoLTE that is being added for now.  

The unofficial cached Koodo page said "couple months" i believe.

There's never been talk of wifi calling, so that won't be anytime soon, if ever. 

@golfball I am fine if roll out takes 2 weeks or even 2 months, I just worry they are still testing at this point and will turn it back off once the test is completed...

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

No official announcement so I wonder how long will this rollout take, two weeks? Months? Are we getting wifi calling as well?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The VoLTE compatibility checker might come in handy although the results are potentially YMMV.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

We have seen these types of IMEI checking databases before. There will surely be errors or omisions.  I wouldn't be suprised if he Telus network compatibiliy check stil lists tthe Nokia E73 as compatible (when it isn't).

I did provide a warning label.  🙄

@will13am wrote:

The VoLTE compatibility checker might come in handy although the results are potentially YMMV.

We have seen these types of IMEI checking databases before. There will surely be errors or omisions.  I wouldn't be suprised if he Telus network compatibiliy check stil lists tthe Nokia E73 as compatible (when it isn't).

@computergeek541 wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @computergeek541   can I safely assume Samsung and iPhone would be good?  Even those we bought from US would work?

In the past, some carriers have been picky about hwere the device was sourced from, but in general, those brands should be fine as long as the devices are VoLTE-capable.

Need Help? Let's chat.