cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE compatible

KZ1964
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a new subscriber and looking at changing subscription to the Canada / US plan.  My phone is the SM-715W (4G), the specs say it has VoLTE, but when I check PM compatible devices it isnt listed.  Can someone confirm that this  device will work on the PM network in the US using VoLTE

8 REPLIES 8

KZ1964

Thankyou

HI @KZ1964 

TextNow will give you another number, you can choose Canada or US number.  Whatever number you choose, you can use it to make calls to Canada and US for free

the app will work with data or wifi

KZ1964

Silly question.  With the textnow app do you have a 2nd phone # and its a US #.  And uses PM data subscription?  Have never used it before 

HI @KZ1964 

you would have no problem using voice in Canada

In US , it can hard to get voice.  If you can connect to T-Mobile and if the area has 2G , then voice will work

But data would work very well. So, what I suggest you is to use VoIP app like TextNow to make and receive calls instead, or as a backup

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KZ1964 - You may be limited on the 2G network since they are in the process of taking down cell sites with 2G.

You may need to use TextNow or Fongo to receive Calls in the US.

KZ1964

Thanks What does this mean for reception when using voice in Canada and US

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hTideGnow - Hopefully PM disables the whitelist.

It gets annoying but these are what the "Needs" are at PM:

• Full VoLTE compatibility
  • Wi-Fi Calling in Canada

And I wish TELUS still had somewhat of a 2G EDGE for those legacy devices from the 90's like the iPhone 2G.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @KZ1964 

that is a A71, but it is not VoLTE compatible with PM

however, you can still use data on 4G without problem

for voice, you will have to use PM's 3G netowrk for voice

when you are in US, you will need to use T-Mobile's 2G network for voice, and again, you can use T-Mobile and AT&T 4G network for data 

Need Help? Let's chat.