cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my phone in Turkey

noskova_n
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, with new rules in Turkey from 15 of March I would need my phone with canadian number working all the time in Turkey as I would receive some HES-code. They will check all my movements with this code - check in's to hotels, domestic flights and so on. What should I do/add with my recent plan to be able to have my phone working abroad in Turkey? Thank you, Natasha

44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently let my "dormant" account suspend. I set the conditional forwards before expiry. The plan expired. Next day...does not work.

@darlicious wrote:

@noskova_n 

I believe thru a discusson wth @Nezgar  that you can call forward your pm number to your fongo number and then suspend your service via lost/stolen before you travel. Then once you arrive in Turkey you can purchase a local sim and have access to your fongo services while on wifi or with mobile data from your local sim. Be sure to check that your phone is compatible with the networks used in Turkey.

Forwarding your PM phone to a Fongo or Textnow number before travelling is a definite thing you can do. I don't remember @darlicious the results of all your tests with lost/stolen vs expired plan, and conditional vs unconditional forwarding. 🙂 Regardless, if you forward your PM phone and let the plan run out and it stops forwarding, it's easy to login from abroad to the self serve web page to re-activate the plan to get call forwarding going again if needed....

@noskova_n 

I believe thru a discusson wth @Nezgar  that you can call forward your pm number to your fongo number and then suspend your service via lost/stolen before you travel. Then once you arrive in Turkey you can purchase a local sim and have access to your fongo services while on wifi or with mobile data from your local sim. Be sure to check that your phone is compatible with the networks used in Turkey.

https://raillynews.com/2020/05/How-to-get-the-hes-code-by-SMS-How-to-get-the-hes-code-How-to-get-the...

The HES code seems to involve reporting and 2FA through SMS, not through voice.

Public Mobile's Talk and Text only work in Canada (except when you activate a US Roaming add-on).

But other text-over-data services might be compatible with these HES rules. Assuming data can be accessed across wifi/etc. Maybe even Whatsapp will work for this purpose, lol.

(Admittedly, it might be too much of a hassle. You apparently have to use the HES app to report your location and request an entry code each time you want to enter an HES-secured location, including most government offices and many business/commercial/retail locations.)

I would talk to other Canadian travellers, ask what approaches they've tried, what solutions they've found.

https://help.unhcr.org/turkey/coronavirus/hes-travel-code/

And - I might be mistaken - but none of the official references I could find online say anything about requirements for a foreign number. They only require a device and active service (in Turkey) to run the HES app.

I think the simplest solution might be to just signup with a (prepaid) local phone plan and get a (temporary) local phone number while in Turkey. You'd need some sort of long-distance plan or add-on to call people in Canada, they'd need the same to call you in Turkey, but communications across SMS/MMS and data are still possible. It's basically an unavoidable travelling expense.

@noskova_n wrote:

All thank you, figured out. That HES code is not tied with phone! I will get it on my phone and keep it in my mail. And will get local sim in Turkey.

Hi @noskova_n good to know that you had figured out how to solve your issue.  Yay!

Have a great day

RosieR

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@noskova_n 

Why don't you try TextNow

You can get alternative Canadian phone number receive/send free calls/texts anywhere with local data or WiFi. I'm sure you can get local service with data that will be much cheaper than roaming.

If you need your phone number you can port it to Fongo for one time fee 25. Calls to most Canadian numbers are free and you can receive texts. 

Note that if you do port out of Publicmobile you will lose all rewards and balance

noskova_n

All thank you, figured out. That HES code is not tied with phone! I will get it on my phone and keep it in my mail. And will get local sim in Turkey.

Unfortunately Public Mobile does not offer roaming outside of Canada and USA.

If you want to roam with your existing Canadian phone number, your only option is to port to a different provider that supports roaming in Turkey.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@noskova_n : You don't _have_ to do anything. The other provider suggestion was for roaming. Public Mobile doesn't roam other than the states. I suggest getting local service. Or failing that even then a voip app.

@noskova_n wrote:

Yes, I have checked it... that is why decided to ask people...

Good to ask.   The only countries PM offers service is within Canada, and the ability to use services within the USA with the applicable Roaming add-on purchased beforehand.

I'm afraid the world wide web may be your best resource to seek out mobile services in Turkey, or perhaps someone local to the area you'll be going can recommend/assist with getting this arranged.

Good luck!

noskova_n

Yes, I have checked it... that is why decided to ask people...

noskova_n

In this case I have to change provider...? sure I may buy a phone card there, but I need to fill up form 72 hours before landing there with my recent  number to where they will send that code

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@noskova_n 

Regarding making calls from Canada to Turkey, the International Add On does not have Turkey on the list of included countries either. 

International long distance Add-On included countries:

Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Venezuela.

Calls must originate from Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@noskova_n : Public Mobile will do nothing for you. You would need local service or voip apps while on wifi or a whole other provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.