cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my phone in Turkey

noskova_n
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, with new rules in Turkey from 15 of March I would need my phone with canadian number working all the time in Turkey as I would receive some HES-code. They will check all my movements with this code - check in's to hotels, domestic flights and so on. What should I do/add with my recent plan to be able to have my phone working abroad in Turkey? Thank you, Natasha

44 REPLIES 44

Aaaaargh....this tablet is giving me major grief for the past couple of hours.....

@Nezgar 

The tests were done with *004* 10 digit number# but the phone is now coming to me so I could test a little more before suspending before 9pm pst. With lost/stolen.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar , @darlicious : I wonder if there was a misunderstanding much earlier on about my experience. I can access the voicemail box with the 4001 number but not able to leave a message in the normal forwarding way.

@gpixel wrote:

you need an active service to call forward. this is how it's always worked for me in the past. the device can be shut off, but the account needs to be in good standing. the feature is attached to the service

Yeah... but the mystery that started this was how then does voicemail reportedly keep working in some cases - which is done with conditional call forwarding... so the idea was what happens if the conditional call forward points elsewhere....

you need an active service to call forward. this is how it's always worked for me in the past. the device can be shut off, but the account needs to be in good standing. the feature is attached to the service

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous @Nezgar 

Ok this whole experiment was a giant fail.....well at least in achieving the desired affect of call forwarding when suspended. Once service is cut to the phone it cuts everything out. Voicemail forwarding works on the network end so it works with lost/stolen but not with suspension due to non payment. Not sure how that works......

Sorry have been away to follow the whole thing real time, but thats definitely odd indeed if conditional call forwarding (normally set to voicemail) also doesn't work when set to an alternate destination.

Just to confirm - your doing it this way?

1. Set unconditional call forward with *21*1234567890# or conditional with *004*1234567890#
  2. Set lost/stolen mode OR let plan expire

And the 4 variations of that:

1. unconditional with lost/stolen
  2. conditional with lost/stolen
  3. unconditional with plan expiry
  4. conditional with plan expiry

(and of course dialing ##21# / ##004# to undo either)

@Anonymous @Nezgar 

Ok this whole experiment was a giant fail.....well at least in achieving the desired affect of call forwarding when suspended. Once service is cut to the phone it cuts everything out. Voicemail forwarding works on the network end so it works with lost/stolen but not with suspension due to non payment. Not sure how that works......

@Anonymous 

Lol....I was thinking that last night! Mind you to find the thread I only had to put "turkey" in the search bar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : This whole part of this thread really kinda oughta be sliced and diced over to the Using your Service or even Phones & Hardware. Not the lounge! 🙂

@Anonymous 

Powering off the phone was a fail too.....so will reset to default and call forward on the other options that are normally set to the voicemail number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : All test variations are valid for proving it all out. I only did the conditionals because it doesn't consume minutes on the active $10 plan. iirc Nezgar found that the $15 plan doesn't consume minutes on the global forward. I found that the $10 plan does. Not talking about in suspension.

@Anonymous @Nezgar 

Ok first test a complete fail. Suspended service via lost/stolen. Called and it just hangs up on me right away. So next test wevare powering off the phone then I will suspend via lost/stolen but the question is should I call forward the options that normally go to the voicemail number to the other phone ahd reset the forward all calls option back to its default setting?

@Anonymous 

Fingers crossed!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I tried the forwarding through a lack of payment suspension. The three options...not global. No go. Looking forward to reading your experience.

@Anonymous 

Set and done. Calls are forwarding. Now I just wait until tonight. I'm going to suspend via lost/stolen at 6pm and test. Then test again at 9pm ( midnite eastern) to see if it works once the plan is officially expired and the account would normally suspend. This phone number isn't important so if it fails its no big deal. If it works then in a week I will test to see if you can call forward>>call forward>>third phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Not all codes work here and your dialer should have these options rather than by codes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. System tripped up and another post duplicated. Oracles can help themselves to archiving this one.

Ok I've made progress.....this was not all that easy to find in the help articles. In fact it was was an article from 2014 that told me to access it thru the phone app settings in my phone. Who knew? Not me apparently.....so I should be *004* the number in "always forward"?

@Nezgar 

Since I haven't done this before....I dial the voicemail on my phone then enter *004*ten digit#? It seems like I completely missing a step or two here.....? Bear with me this is total learning curve for me right now....I think I tried this once in the late '80's when it first came out.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Check out Fongo free or paid voip service nice app for phone as well

@Nezgar 

Aha...lets see if I get my hands on the sim card before suspension needs to occur.

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

But you can only set this with the phone/sim card in hand....not thru your voicemail at all?

Ah yep, that is true unfortunately...

A workaround would be to set the forwards to a voicemail/forwarding service that allows changing the routing online. (ie fongo, voip.ms)

@Nezgar 

But you can only set this with the phone/sim card in hand....not thru your voicemail at all?

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

When does (un)conditional call forwarding kick in? The same time call forwarding to your voicemail does? That would imply it should remain in place when self suspending.

think of UNconditional forwarding as "Call forward immediate"... all calls are forwarded immediately regardless if the phone is online, offline, busy etc... By default unconditional forwarding is OFF / NOT SET.

Conditional call forwarding only forwards on 3 specific conditions, which by default point to public mobile voicemail:

- No Answer (after configurable delay of 5-30 seconds in 5 second increments, default 25s)

- Not reachable (phone is off, or out of the network area- results in an immediate forward if so)

- "Busy" or "Declined".  If you have two calls already going, the 3rd incoming call will hit this. or if have blocked the caller, or you see an incoming call and manually decline it... (This is how I selectively punt obvious spam calls to Lenny!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar : Duh...I have TextNow. 🙂 Yes I can get into the voicemail. But of course now, I can't leave a message.

@Nezgar 

When does (un)conditional call forwarding kick in? The same time call forwarding to your voicemail does? That would imply it should remain in place when self suspending.

@Anonymous 

I can't test for another 5 days if I get my hands on the phone itself or the sim card ( long story) but I will test then if I can. For any of this to work the key is to suspend via lost/stolen before renewal. (Even at 8:58pm pst.) As that at the very least guarantees you voicemail service for the next 89 days.

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have a non-Telus phone line to call a voicemail access number.

There's always the fongo/textnow apps.... or https://hangouts.google.com/ is still working for now -- you can call using a desktop browser using that URL in a pinch if you don't want to install the hangouts/hangouts dialer apps on your phone....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I was thinking of writing something to Nezgar to not be quite so hasty and to wait for your self-suspend report. I let mine suspend for lack of payment. Knowing this place, they could behave differently.

I call the number and get like a busy tone. I don't have a non-Telus phone line to call a voicemail access number.

@Anonymous 

Did you self suspend your account via lost/stolen or let it suspend for non-payment? Does your voicemail work?

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently let my "dormant" account suspend. I set the conditional forwards before expiry. The plan expired. Next day...does not work.

Alright then, thanks.... That would imply that voicemail deposit if you hadn't done any customizing of the conditional forwards would have also ceased to work since that uses the same conditional forwarding...

So @noskova_n you need to keep your plan active to keep call forwarding working, but you may want to consider lowering your active plan to the cheapest $15 plan if it's going to be an extended period of time...

Need Help? Let's chat.