cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using data to text??

Kath1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all, 

im super confused - I have the $15/month plan which includes unlimited texting. But I have to turn my data on for any texts to go through. So I’m paying to use my data, which doesn’t exactly make it unlimited. Am I doing something completely wrong here? Help! 

Tia 🙂 

22 REPLIES 22

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just to provide some (technical) explanation behind what's going on here for some who are jumping on this...

SMS = Short Message Service, essentially a network-driven text messaging service provided via Public Mobile and cellular networks, somewhat as a core "telephone" service.

Data Messaging, whether Whatsapp, Apple iMessage, Android RCS, are essentially data-driven services that carry messages between apps.  This is completely independent of Public Mobile or other carriers and facilitated strictly through data/internet connections, whether via 3G/LTE/Cellular Data or Wifi or hardware, etc.

There are advantages to both, but this may help some people understand how things are working out (or not!).  I'm of similar option to @srlawren so will leave that be.  🙂

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

😖 Basic minds

og2

SMS is extremely security flawed.. I'm not sure if any of you kids remember back in the day when Telus and other providers would let you see your text messages online. Telus workers also had access to these messages... 

@Kath1 

You need to first register your phone number to your Apple ID. Once you have accomplished that, then you can start troubleshooting. Don't try to troubleshoot without that step otherwise you are wasting your time

If you look at the second screenshot you took where it says "send and receive" that needs to be your phone number, not your email... I suggest you delete that picture because of your personal info

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

SMS just works without any required connectivity (other than cell). That's the standard base-line. Equality throughout. Everybody can do SMS. Old and new users, phones, providers.

@Anonymous sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone should be limited to just SMS in perpetuity.  The messaging experience in just about every other service (iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Signal, Telegram, Slack, and dozens more) are arguably better in just about every way other than ubiquity and not requiring a data connection.  I think it's fair for designers of a modern messaging service to assume that most of their target users are going to have access to WiFi and/or mobile data the majority of the time and to design for that.  It's not even like these services are terribly data-hungry* and use a lot of data--the "problem" for folks on a very limited data plan is incidental data usage more than messaging using a rich service.  

Anyway I think we've veered pretty far off course here.  Sorry to @Kath1.

*at least, basic messaging.  If you start sharing images, audio, video, etc. it's obviously going to eat up a lot of data quickly.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren : But doesn't it become a degraded experience anyway when the user is wondering why their texts aren't working? They switch phones, their contacts switch phones, they switch providers, their contacts switch providers, a major update happens etc.

I think we also all need to understand that Apple to Apple iMessage is the same as oldie old instant messaging. Or what Blackberry Messenger was. And what the chat feature in Android does. And all need an internet connection. SMS just works without any required connectivity (other than cell). That's the standard base-line. Equality throughout. Everybody can do SMS. Old and new users, phones, providers.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

While I am definitely an Android guy and not an iPhone fan for myself, I recognize that they are both incredibly popular and also very capable device.  To be fair, iMessage with a data connection is far superior to the SMS/MMS which it supersedes.  It would be nice if it would default to automatically falling back to SMS when neither WiFi nor Mobile Data were available, but that would come at the expense of a degraded experience, which isn't really in Apple's vocabulary. 

I actually wish Apple would open iMessage up to the Android platform and am convinced it would become the defacto rich-messaging service by people like my iFriends that keep guilting me that they have to use something other than their beloved iMessage to communicate with me.  🙂  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : It's the Apple way. They want you to stay trapped in their own little "sandbox" and never let you stray. Some people buy in to the one device/one OS theory.

There's one phone brand that can run the one iOS.  There's a bunch of phone brands that can run the one Android OS. Some people see that as a bad thing and all out of control. Whereas Apple is all completely under control.

it's Apple,  they have to make something new all the time to keep selling new devices.

But to be fair, Google is following with RCS chat now., except that RCS is not as widely used as iMessage.

Just trying to understand - WHY is this Apple so complicated to use? Why they have to force on you some nonsense? Never had any issue with Android...

@Kath1 wrote:

17D8D4E2-5560-43C8-B6A0-EBBC69CBD0F7.png

@Kath1  the fact that the message you are sending has a Blue Colour , you are sending via iMessage, which is not SMS.  message sent through SMS should be green background.

There is nothing wrong with sending via iMessage, but you will need either Wifi or Mobile Data to send.  If you are out a lot and try to avoid using Data, you might want to send via SMS only

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@og2 good point

@Kath1 try this.

Set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

Kath1

17D8D4E2-5560-43C8-B6A0-EBBC69CBD0F7.png

9A007E67-E62B-4425-B32A-D2AC79801035.png

B88B2B16-C44C-4084-B3BD-8B69D2F8C492.png

og2

Kat,

You must register your phone number to your Apple ID before you are able to text sms

cuvy69

It will use data to text pictures,  which will accumulate on your phone settings but will not go towards your data usage on Public.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Kath1 wrote:

Hi all, 

im super confused - I have the $15/month plan which includes unlimited texting. But I have to turn my data on for any texts to go through. So I’m paying to use my data, which doesn’t exactly make it unlimited. Am I doing something completely wrong here? Help! 

Tia 🙂 

Hello @Kath1 

If you turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead.

To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  3. Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  4. Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  5. Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

@Kath1 

Most iPhone users have iMessage enabled  and may have turned off SMS support. 

To turn on SMS:

1. Open the Settings app and go to “Message”
2. Locate the switch for “Send as SMS” and turn this to the ON position
if send as SMS is already on, try turning it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back
3. Return to Messages and try sending the text message again.

Courtesy of @softech 

@Kath1 wrote:

Thanks 🙂 

i found that in settings, turned on sms, turned off iMessage but any text I try to send a message pops up and says iMessage must be turned on or I must turn on wifi or data 

This means that either SMS isn't turned on or that iMessages's features aren't turned off.  Can you take a screenshot of the settings screen?  Not only does SMS not require the use of internet, it can't actually use data/Wi-Fi/internet. 

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey, maybe try restarting your phone

Kath1

Thanks 🙂 

i found that in settings, turned on sms, turned off iMessage but any text I try to send a message pops up and says iMessage must be turned on or I must turn on wifi or data 

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To turn on SMS. Please go to settings and then to messages. Scroll down then you’ll will see “Send as SMS” turn that on and you’ll be good to go!

Kath1

Aha! Thank you!! 

And how do I check SMS on? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kath1 : Yes...you're either using iMessage without SMS checked on or you're using the chat feature in some Android texting apps.

Need Help? Let's chat.