cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful info maybe - No pin in welcome email

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've read posts with people saying check your welcome email if you can't remember the pin you chose when signing up.

If it helps anyone that provides community assistance. The welcome email does not include the pin. Maybe it did in the past? Now it simply says to write down the 4 digit pin.

Screenshot_20200829_193627.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

The only sensitive information included in the welcome email is your account number - inconspicuously placed in the display name of the "to" address in the headers. Account number is part of the information needed, along with phone number and name, to port out your phone number. Surely hacked email accounts have been at the root of of some port-out fraud - so beware.

I recommend changing your name in the self-serve portal to a variation of your name, or outright completely different to help prevent this. It is not used for anything else, and is independent from the name associated with your billing details.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BeachNBeer ,

The four digit PIN is texted to your new PM phone SIM.

@will13am wrote:

I have not signed up any new accounts in recent times.  I recall getting a text message with the PIN code.  Actually it was 2 text messages.  The first one has the wrong code and the second one has the correct code.  TBH, they should allow customers an option to change the PIN code via the self serve account.  

Sicne you got two codes in that manner, I assume that you activated online.  I see the first code to be the one that you would have received at random had you activated in-store, and the second code is the one that you personally chose during the activation process......................................

@Korth wrote:

Where can we find or change our PIN? Is it a Self-Serve account thing? Is it a voicemail settings thing?

If you don't have the text message that was sent to you with the PIN, this isn't listed anywhere, nor can you find it anywhere in your account. You cannot change the PIN yourself (without the help of a moderator), nor is it necessarily the same as your voicemail password, unless you happened set them to both be the same.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

It's only sent by sms, you may wish to save that message on your sim and write it down.

Now if it happens that you lose it or don't use your account for first give days (messages older than five days are purged and lost forever) you can reset it through moderators, the only thing you need to do is to prove that the account is yours (which is much easier if you bothered to create your selfserve and didn't lose access to it)

So for those of us who signed up long ago, who no longer have the old phone with the welcome message, and who honestly have only a vague notion of what this PIN is all about ...

Where can we find or change our PIN? Is it a Self-Serve account thing? Is it a voicemail settings thing?

And, aside from identification (when other forms of identification aren't available), what's this PIN supposed to be used for?

(I admit that I don't think much of things like PINs and Secret Questions/Answers which are nominally supposed to increase security. I view them more as unwanted back doors which introduce extra vulnerability.)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have not signed up any new accounts in recent times.  I recall getting a text message with the PIN code.  Actually it was 2 text messages.  The first one has the wrong code and the second one has the correct code.  TBH, they should allow customers an option to change the PIN code via the self serve account.  

This information isn't correct. The welcome e-mail message has never included the account PIN.

Need Help? Let's chat.