cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used 7gigs while asleep

JSandulak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey hoping someone can help I woke up this morning to see I had 3 texts from 611 saying I used 75%, 95%, and 100% of data. Apparently while asleep I use around 7 gigs. This same thing happened on my mom's account just last month. Anyone have this happen to them?

Screenshot_20230403-053313.png

12 REPLIES 12

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@JSandulak 

Photos can use a lot of data when uploading, downloading or searching and viewing photos that are backed up and not on your device. You need to change the settings in your Google photos app so that you only back up photos when you are connected to wifi to avoid this happening in the future.

See below...

Screenshot_20230403_145112_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230403_145120_Photos.jpg

Tap mobile data usage and choose "wifi only" or "no data" depending on your options. Now your photos will only back up or share between devices when you are on wifi only.

I would also use your phones data tools to set up a data warning and limiter so that you will be warned when your phone is using higher than normal data (or if you miss it because you are sleeping for example) and your data limiter so that your mobile data is paused before you use up a significant amount of mobile data. If you have a lot of add on data rather than plan data this prevents a very costly mistake from occurring.

@JSandulak   You just use this new phone?

you have cloud backup setup.  disable it.    It will eat up your data and your Google drive space

Or if you need it, change it to backup when you are in Wifi or disable Wifi Assist

JSandulak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Screenshot_20230403-134909.png

 found the culprit. Not sure how my photos downloaded through cellular data. It's turned off for this very reason.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you - it was there just as you advised - 

HI @Tsawwassen 

here, you are turning off the Mobile data access for "Settings"

hTideGnow_1-1680552550895.png

Tsawwassen

I have the latest iOS but can't find "Turn off Mobile Data".

HI @Tsawwassen 

try this to stop it from happening again

• 1. Open Settings and tap on Cellular.
  • 2. Scroll for the Cellular Data section and continue to scroll until you reach Settings.
  • 3. Turn off Mobile data for the Settings app!

Tsawwassen

Most likely you had your phones auto update active and it updated overnight using a lot of data. Happened to me a while back and my iPhone update ate more than 4 gb of data.  

The update for iOS 16 is about 2.8GB.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@JSandulak

refresh.jpg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JSandulak  as @HALIMACS  mentioned, it is just because PM's usage log is not live, it is just post every 12 hours and hence the usage was not while you sleep but a total usage for 12 hours

Look like you are using an Anrdoid phone, you can also check your usage by going to the Data usage page.  Change the "Start billing cycle on" date to match your PM cycle start date and you can see clearly how much data you used and which app used the data and how much

E-MobileData.png

Patchio

@JSandulak 

It’s possible the data usage warning messages that you received from 611 were sent in error. 

You can always double check your actual usage from the self-serve My Account website. Just make sure you tap the circle arrow icon at the bottom to get the most up to date information about your actual data usage. 

Edited to add - You might also want to double check your phone to make sure no installed apps were running in the background and inadvertently using up your data while you were asleep. That might also contribute to those data usage warning messages as well. 

PM was also conducting system maintenance overnight, so another possibility is that 611 was reporting inaccurate information when it sent you those data usage warning messages. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@JSandulak 

The reason for this is that public mobile only posts data used in the preceding 12-hour periods. What you're seeing is the cumulative usage since the last reporting period approximately 12 hours earlier.

It is not representative of the time of use.

Need Help? Let's chat.